Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#166726 Fri Dec 25 2009 10:45 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Here is three Tiger High Test Mags... August 1995, Issue 38 1996, Issue 40 1997. Good shape no tears,missing pages.

Articles...Monogram Oil, Knox Oil, Champlin Oil and more.

8.00 + 3.00 shipping. Paypal or smail.

Randy grin

Tiger mags.jpg

Always looking for Hy-Flash Gas/Miller Oil, Hi-Speed Gas/ Hickok Oil and Paragon Refining items from Toledo,Ohio.
Archived Forum Area

These topics are archived because they are older. You may not post new replies. Contact member through their email in their Profile or by PM message.
Help with contacting members

Hy-Flash 72 #166728 Fri Dec 25 2009 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Randy I will take them I will send you a pm Thanks Jack

Hy-Flash 72 #166729 Fri Dec 25 2009 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Randy if still available I will take them. PM sent.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Bob Richards #166730 Fri Dec 25 2009 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack beat me by a few seconds, LOL.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Bob Richards #166735 Fri Dec 25 2009 11:06 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Sold...Thanks guys.

Sorry Bob.

randy

Always looking for Hy-Flash Gas/Miller Oil, Hi-Speed Gas/ Hickok Oil and Paragon Refining items from Toledo,Ohio.
Hy-Flash 72 #166764 Fri Dec 25 2009 01:03 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Jack is always a few seconds faster wink

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
gasoildude #166786 Fri Dec 25 2009 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I only get lucky wants in a while, I really do miss a bunch that are sold before I even see them.

Jack R #166798 Fri Dec 25 2009 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WHAT EXACTLY WAS TIGER HIGH TEST MAGAZINE?

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Predecessor to CHECK THE OIL MAGAZINE

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Originally Posted By: Jack R
I only get lucky wants in a while, I really do miss a bunch that are sold before I even see them.
Originally Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Originally Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE

A magazine produced by Tim Dye of Broken Arrow, Oklahama in the early to mid 90's. I think in the begining he printed the thing in his garage. At one time a least for a few months there were (3) magazines in the hobby Check The Oil, Tiger Hightest, and PCM.

I think Tim still has several "left over" issues in his garage. I don't know if he would sell but I would assume yes.

Collect small Oklahoma Oil Co.'s 1920's-1940's. Barnsdall, Cushing, Eason, Marland, etc.

okoil1 #166981 Sun Dec 27 2009 09:23 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I would be interested in buying some of those.

Please visit my website Gasstuff.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
SO WOULD I AS LONG AS THEY AREN'T GONNA BREAK THE BANK! LOL!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
I have lost Tim's #. Maurice will have it, should anyone want to try and get in touch with Tim regarding selling magazines.

Collect small Oklahoma Oil Co.'s 1920's-1940's. Barnsdall, Cushing, Eason, Marland, etc.

okoil1 #166994 Sun Dec 27 2009 11:17 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Tiger high test came after the "tiger rag" put out by Ed Love. It never had anything to do with Check the oil, Ed was kind of one of the founding fathers of can collecting and put out the first that I know of can books, The three volume set of can encyclopedias. Tim bought the rights to the mag and at one point was selling the books I think he still has some of the mags left. The magazine in the pic with the KNOX on the cover is one if my favorite issues I got to help Tim with that article and I got to show off my Knox collection.

Jay Leeper
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
In the beginning there was.....

For those of you who are interested in the beginning of this hobby as far as printed material, clubs and swap meets goes, here is what I remember.

Somehow in the early 80s some guys found out there were others who were collecting this stuff. These names included Ed Love, Jerry Keiser, Ron Hoyt, John Chance, John Logsdon, Scott Anderson, and some others I can't remember. The first thing they organized was "Check The Oil" club (sort of) and swap meet. The first swap meet I believe was held in Denver or somewhere in the northwest, this was around 1986. There was some splitting up of people and out of it came the "CTO" as we know it with their swap meets in Columbus, Ohio in June; "Iowa Gas" a swap meet held in Des Moines, Iowa since 1987; and Ed Love who started the Villa Publishing Syndicate, Inc. of Colorado Springs, Colorado.

Somewhere around 1988 Ed started publishing two things, a newspaper like "Catalog" called the "VILLANEWS" and the "Tiger Rag." The earliest catalog I have is #8, published in 1991. The early catalogs sold items the Ed had made and was both auto and petro related.

In 1992, Ed started publishing the "Tiger Rag." The name came from Ed's favorite petroleum company "Power Royal" with their tiger logo. The Rag featured mostly articles by Tim Dye. the late Earl Ma, Tom Allen and Ed Love. It was mostly for can, bottle and map collectors, although it occasionally had articles about pumps. The newspapers became "The PowerRoyal Company" of the Villa Publishing Syndicate, Inc. around 1992.

One of the biggest things that came out of this union of guys was the start of the Sunflower Oil & Gas Swap Meet in Lawrence, Kansas. This meet started in 1988 and was hosted by Tim Allen.

I believe I first went to the Sunflower meet in 1889.

Incidentally, Ed didn't call this hobby Petroliania, he called it Petromatic. I could be wrong here, but I believe Jerry Keiser was the first to use the word "Petroliania."

Early 1992 brought the announcement that a new swap meet would be held in Tulsa.

Ed Love's Villanews continued to advertise his items, but now had ads for the Iowa Gas and Oil Capitol swap meets.

In August, 1992 the Villanews became the "Tiger Rag." It was much the same, Ed's ads, Iowa Gas ads and the front page was one long article about the Oil Capitol meet just held.

The October, 1992 Tiger Rag issue (#2), the first page was an article with pictures about the Iowa Gas meet. The younger versions of John Chance, Ron Hoyt and John Logsdon are pictured in front of pumps that were to be auctioned off. This issue also had an announcement of a new swap meet to be held in Columbia, MO. No name for the swap meet yet. This issue was also the first to accept outside ads, the first one was from Carl Mantegna.

The December, 1992 issue featured the Dye Report, this issue was an article about NASCAR. Tim Dye, in addition to being a petro collector was also a featured writer for the "Smoke Signals" a publication of the Pontiac-Oakland Club. Tim owned a number of GTOs. David Cole wrote a map article, and Ed wrote a can article. At that time I called my little business "I Remember When...," and I was the first collector to take out a two page ad. Others had small ads also.

I also remember writing a pump article for one of the issues around 1991 or 1992.

In 1993 the Rag became a monthly publication. Sometime in 1994, Ed Love (because of health reasons I believe) turned the Rag over to Tim Dye. Tim renamed the now magazine (with some color) "Tiger Hightest Magazine." My first issue states Volume 25, November, 1994. I don't know exactly what the Vol. 25 means, but I believe it meant the 25th issue. It listed Tim Dye, Editor & Publisher; Penny Dye, Cirulation; David Cole, Staff Writer; and Earl Ma, Staff Writer.

My Tiger Hightest collection goes through Issue 41 (1997, no month mentioned) which I believe to be the last issue.

This is what I remember, there are probably mistakes or additions that can be made so feel free to update or correct anything I have above.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Support the expenses of Oldgas.com. Thanks!

Copyright © 2024 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved