Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
V
interesting info here guys. If anyone has insomnia, you can read the EPA info in the link by Chuck lol.
Im probably not telling anyone here anything they dont know, but if your gas contains any ethanol you should put an additive like Stabil in for your small engines like mowers, chainsaws,whackers and marine engines. I guess the small engines dont like the corn juice.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...pre-pay is alive and well on the east coast...pretty much the only option...what burns me up is when you have to go in the store for a receipt, because the slack &#@* attendants can't be bothered to put register tape in the receipt printer mad...or maybe they're just trying to get you in the store to buy something else...

...I don't buy gasoline from Citgo as they are owned by the Venezuelan government...you'll note their commercials try to play up the 'hometown' aspect, just because the people that run the stations are Americans...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Whatever is handy when the tank is getting low but only ethanol free, which is usually premium grade in Wis. For you guys with old cars and carbeuratored engines don't use ethanol gas it will eat up the gaskets etc inside the carb. This I know from personal experience. All my lawnmowers, chain saws, ATV's, restored auto's etc with a carb get only premium gas. As for the Citgo thing, my fav brand over the last 40 yrs, what's the diff if you by it imported from Saudi Arabia where they sell to us in a lot of major brands then use the money to finance terrorists in the middle East, such as Iraq. Chavez is not shooting as us. The commie thing is ok but we have an embargo against Cuba, a commie country and borrow money from China and have given them our entire manufacturing industry and that's OK? The largest commie country in the world there guys.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I fill up then when the low light comes on I drive for another 30 miles or so then search for the nearest station out of desperation. I know, not good for the fuel pump but it seems like I am always running late and in a hurry to get to the next job. Ya, my new years resolution, fill up before the light come on. Resolution #53

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I have too many bad memories as a Shell dealer back in the 70s to buy their gas anymore, only in emergencies.
QT swept through the St. Louis area and they seem to have a station a mile or two, nice places, people are courtious, they train their people well.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
Chevron and only Chevron ( ok well maybe a little Texaco, but they are owned by Chevron so....) 'cause they made my house payments for 30 years!

B
B
I prefer Sunoco or Marathon/Speedway. In Ohio, there is also very little choice. In the last 25-30 years, Texaco, ARCO, Exxon (since reappeared), Martin, 76 and recently Citgo have disappeared. I avoid bp since my truck runs like (you know what) on it. I have never forgiven bp for killing Sohio and Amoco (ARCO dies within the next 5 years). The only Valero close is on the Ohio Turnpike. In my town, there is only one major branded station left. I have had decent luck on gas from the stop and rob.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Another tip:

If you are using 10% Ethanol fuel, you don't need a gasoline deicer.

If you don't use Ethanol fuel, except on occasion you should consider filling up with a tank of Ethanol fuel once a month or so. Or at the least, if you will be traveling you should gas up with a tank of Ethanol fuel a couple tank fulls before you leave. Then if a problem arrises it won't ruin your trip.

What can happen, Especially if you are running your tank down to E all the time, is condensation build up. Over time water will collect in small amounts in the bottom of your gas tank. Then when you fill up with Ethanol fuel, the Ethanol will suspend that water and into your gas filter it goes.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Any tips on diesel? Have a o4 6.0 that has been a ongoing problem. Does it help to use additives?
Thanks
Rick

Rick, I converted my 99 7.3 to run on used veggie oil. I now have 130,000 miles running on veggie oil and converted when i had 230,000 on my truck. The low sulfur diesel we are now making is causing a lot of issues on the engines as it is more abrassive than the higher sulfur diesel was. My truck starts on diesel but when it gets to temp( about 3 minutes) it automatically switches over to v.o. Instead of filling up every three to four days I fill up every 6 weeks.
But I personally have seen no benefits in the additives.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
First of all the amount of additives in a typical load driving down the highway is less thana 5 galon bucket spread over the 13000+ gallons in the tanker. I worked for the oil companies. Marathon sucks even though I sold for them in MI for years. It's hot all summer long as they don't allow it to cool after their last step refining so you don't want Marathon on a hot day when just delivered from the tanker. Chevron additives are still ahnds down superior but even they are jumping onto the 10% ethanol band wagon.

Kris Strong
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
3 reasons why i buy Shell--

A good product--

I use a Citicard Shell Master Card,5 percent off of all gasoline purchases,to date $460.00 rebate.

Shell has been paying me since 1997 to NOT come to work!

My understanding about the additives are that they typically are detergents and some do benefit in helping an engine run better. The 10% ethanol gas as far as Texas goes is required in any county and county that surrounds the county in question that has higher pollution levels. I think that most vehicles made from 1997 and up have the required equipment(viton type rubber and gaskets) to handle the ethanol. Our small equipment doesn't stand up to the ethanol though and I had to deal with that until I figured out what to do. Generators, chain saws, and anything I do not use often is run til it's empty and put it up dry. I have had to clean a lot less carbs the past few years doing it this way.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: hillsideshortleg
Any tips on diesel? Have a o4 6.0 that has been a ongoing problem. Does it help to use additives?
Thanks
Rick

Rick, since you mention your problem is ongoing, if changing your fuel filter solves your problem short term, then you may have a "Diesel Bug" problem.
Here is a description of that http://dieselbugsolution.blinkweb.com/index.html

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Gaspedler thanks for the info.
My problem was I would start my van and let it idle and warm up. The Ford dealership says you cant let them idle to warm up. I now start it and let it run for a couple of seconds then take off even on very cold days. Year before last we spent over $13k keeping two vans running.This year it was less than half that amount. Also after going to 2 dealerships we found a 3rd one that understood the 6.o diesels and took care of the problem that was causing ongoing problems.Carbon had built up in the motor and was not allowing a temp sensor to do it's job. I just wish the first two could have found the problem. Wendle Ford in Spokane Washington found the problem

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved