Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#166381 Wed Dec 23 2009 01:34 PM
V
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
V
I hope I am not over posting. My Dr. ordered me to stay off my hip so I have been on the site a lot. If I am, someone say so!
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone still buys their gas at a particular station like Citgo, Sunoco, Mobil or if most people are like me and go to the closest/cheapest place? I know that some places like Sunoco have different blends...does anyone actually go there for a certain blend? I know that certain companies tout their additives and such, but isnt gas really all the same? I am talking about our everyday cars, not sport cars that might run better on premium.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I dont have any particular one I go to but I do go to Mobil more than the others.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
In Montana we don't have lots of Choices....Exxon (Town Pump all over the state) Sinclair, Conoco and a couple of places with Phillips 66 and Mobil. I suspect the Mobil is a brand from Exxon or one of the other generic refineries in Montana......

Vermonter..you post all you want.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Whenever possible, we find the nearest Shell station; we pass four other stations between Shell and home. The GPS is a big help locating them on trips. As a second choice, it's either Marathon, Mobil, or BP.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here in the upper midwest, CENEX (old Farmers Union) is king so consequently, I have a Cenex credit card and we end up purchasing most of it there. Prices don't vary much in town because its kind of a conspiracy to keep gas prices up!
When out on the road, I stop wherever its handiest and buy the cheapest grade!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ARCO mini-marts have the lowest priced gas, here in my community. A close second, are stations affiliated with Safeway and Fred Meyer grocery companies. Both sell generic brands of fuel.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i also try to buy the cheapest gas, there's a Holiday & Mobil very close & they are the cheapest around,,,,i also worry about additives & how they can affect my internal engine working parts...when i drive thru Wisconsin all the stations on the interstate seem to have 10% ethanol additives...i try to stay away from these however not much choice when traveling....

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sinclair just down the street. I also have a Sinclair credit card so I get 5% discount until January 1 when they are dropping the discount. I have earned about $300 in rebates since I started with it a few years ago.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I buy whatever type Sams' Club sells. I this area it is usually the cheapest. If I am traveling, it is whatever I can find every three hours when I need gas. One brand that I refuse to buy is Citgo because of Chavez's opinion of this country.

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Conoco/Phillips locally, when in Indy Speedway, when in Pa Rutter's.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
usually mobil and probably cause its just a block away and i have been going there for 25+ years.at the time i moved here it was a J&L.i still call it that and my wife cant figure out why.when gas was really up there i went to murphy by walmart,but the difference is usually not worth the inconvieniance.that place is always packed and they dont have many pumps.

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Most all gas is distributed by any brand to any service station. The difference is that the top tier gases add their additives. So for instance, Walmart( Murphy Oil ) will get Texaco, Shell, Conoco at their stations but not the additives. At the loading racks, for instance at an independent refiner if the gas is headed to Chevron, then the additive is added to the tanker after it is loaded but prior to shipment.
From everything that I have learned, the additives depend upon the vehicle. On our Explorer we get about 100 miles more per tank on Chevron gas, versus the Krogers' discounted no name gas. And we have done this multiple times as well as a lot of the people I work with at the refinery I am employed at.
As far as Ethanol, it is an oxygenated blend( similar to the MTBE that ethanol replaced) Basically all vehicles will get about 20% less mpg on an oxygenated fuel than a regular fuel. When gas is blended with Mtbe or Ethanol it lowers the btu's of the fuel. That's the reason you get more mpg on diesel, versus gas, versus 10% ethanol, versus propane,versus hydrogen etc.
The insanity of the whole ethanol thing is that it burns cleaner, but if you get less mpg then controlling the tail pipe emissions isn't happening in the long run.
Anyway, the best way to check out if a top tier gas burns better just fill up with it a few times, then try Walmart a few times and see if you tell the difference in mpg.
Troy

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I buy from one of the two, local "Little Guys". They are both customers of mine, so I return the favor. On a road trip though, I try to buy CHEVRON. Just because...

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Q
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Q
i usually buy Hess or a independent that's called A L Prime has a lot of station,s in my area.

im always looking but never find, why........
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Arco & Costco....haven't seen any gas wars lately.
All of them seem to be in sync on cost.
Ever where you get it....it's to much.
Was 1.00 cheaper last year at this time
Do you think there "working to keep your trust"
just like the politicans.

Last edited by advertologist; Wed Dec 23 2009 07:31 PM.

RANDY
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved