Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It means more to you, I think if you know were it actuality came from. Especially if its your home town or state and you have before and after pictures of when you found something like a pump sitting in front of a station. And you have the actual black and white photo of 1937 with the Wayne 60 sitting out front still in service. and then fully restored in my living room. Ill try get some pictures of it up.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Go for it highoctane!! Your Wayne 60 is a "poster child" for this post. ALL the pictures and an explanation of how you got it home; I'm suprised you made it! LOL.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I enjoy the history as well. I went to buy a pump in my old hometown and I asked the guy where he got it. He mentioned the station and it turned out he bought it from my friend's dad when the station changed out the pumps. The pump was now rusted beyond repair. I told him I was friends with the former owner's son and that it would have ben fun to resotre it back tot he original. He went into the shed and came back with the original pump plates and asked if I was interested in them. I said I would buy them and give them to my freend. He said to take them. So for Xmas I sent my friend the pump plates. You would have thought I gave him a million dollars.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Iron , every time I post a picture of a pump or a station I really do try to give as much information as I can share . I a couple of cases here in Richmond Va. the streets were re- named and addresses were changed as well . Sometimes information was transcribed incorrectly into commercial directories . Such is the case of two greek revival stations , one on Lombardy street . it was listed as a Sunoco when I know for a fact that it was indeed an Atlantic as a search throught rthe state library confermed it .
In my case , Im doing models of these former stations and then having to " Backwards engineer " the buildings to their former apperence . I would have to say having the facts and a way to conferm such things are very important as I exibit these models to some very detail minded people on occasion . Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Hi All,

There appears to be more interest in the "stories" behind pieces in our collections than I thought. I was afraid that too much commentary on when? where? how? why? would be of little interest. Now I'll go to work on that Deep Rock station here in ABQ. I actually pumped gas from those pumps in the late 50's and have a globe and pump plates that are very probaly in the picture. For sure I have the wringer barrel and towel box in the picture and I'll assure you I used them!!

Now all I have to do is figure out how to get the picture of Miss RCA Victor from the late 50's with that station as a backdrop in there. The stories those pumps could tell? Oh yeah; that one would do.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I always feel lucky whenever I can get the history on any of my old stuff. At this point in time, most of the stuff we buy, the origin has already been lost.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm just as much interested in the history of the items I collect as the items themselves -- sometimes even moreso. I do everything I can to dig up information on the company and the specific items I collect, and I usually ask the seller where the piece I'm buying came from. Sometimes I even look through old phone books at the library to figure out what certain buildings in town used to be, and browse through old pictures in local history books and archives. Through researching the items I've bought, I've been led off on tangents that have gotten me interested in other subsets of collecting -- examples include road signs, maps, and route guides.

Wes

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Part of the appeal of maps is the history (hence my nick). Whenever I get a batch, such as an auction lot, I note the source they came from. It's so much fun to see that Clarence Jones took a vacation to Yellowstone, and took a totally different route back. Often there's notes on gas prices and the car's gas mileage on petro maps. When there's a station stamp on the cover, I try to find out where it was, but I haven't hit the point of visiting these sites--yet!
My other hobby is collecting postcards, and I really enjoy reading the reverse, too.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Hi All,

I also consider maps an irreplacable document recording history. I have a 1935 Texaco Tourguide map of ABQ that refers to Tingly Beach as a "municipal bathing beach". That won't mean anything to anyone not familiar with ABQ, but in 1935 that area was simply a part of the Rio Grande river!!

Take a bath in the Rio Grande river? In 1935 in ABQ, when that "municipal bathing beach" was only a few blocks from pre 1937 Route 66 and auto courts were few and far between,a family on the move just might!! Makes one wonder what it was like to travel 66 in 1935.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Even in 1965, on a trip to Texas from northern Illinois, it was rough--no A/C. underpowered station wagon, iffy motels. I wouldn't think twice about trying to make it to the same destination in one shot today--I think it took my family 4 days in '65.
I found most of the maps my parents used on our vacations in a box when we cleared out the house a couple of years ago. No value to anyone else, but a big prize for me.

Picked up a 1940 touring guide Texaco map today, complete with routes and the "current" detours marked. Fun reading!

Last edited by Maps for the memories; Sat Dec 12 2009 07:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Hi Maps,

You might find this interesting. I'm working on a piece to post on FATW about an old gas station (20's or 30's) here in NM that is located in the middle of nowhere. I'm using old maps from those years to try to find out if the highway was even paved when that thing was built. It may have been on a dirt road!! Maps are the only reliable documentation of the condition of that road in those years that I can find.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved