Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#163112 Thu Dec 03 2009 11:04 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Hi everybody. Just wanted to introduce myself and to ask a question. My name is Louis and I'm new to pumps. I picked up my first pump 2 weeks ago, and my 2nd this past weekend. That's not good, is it....I'm already addicted. They are both M&S 80's, one short cyclops? and one tall cyclops. I've searched around some in the archives, and it probably is there somewhere, but I didn't find it, and that is how to date the M&S pumps.The short one is a 4B with serial # 74777,and No A 895627, with another tag on the top metal that has M&E 9-10282. The tall one is also a 4B, serial # 64445, with the No A 737645. Do these numbers translate to a date code?
I'm sure I'll have plenty of other Q's in the future as I redo these, and look forward to getting involved with more pumps down the road.
Oh...one other question...How do you guys explain this madness to your wives?
Thanks, Louis

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WELCOME TO OLDGAS!

RANDY
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Welcome Louis! I have been playing with this stuff for twentys plus years. Been married for almost forty. I simply tell my wife that I don't drink or chase women so this is my vice.And...She always knows where I'm at! Paul

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Louis, Welcome to the site from another fellow Hoosier! Sounds like you found a couple i nice pumps. I can't help with sates for pumps and can tell you something about globes. LOL

John

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I keep telling my wife they are investments and also "it keeps me out of the bar". I dont think she's buying it. She bought me my first pump 2 years ago and now I have around 16. So bascially yes it's REALLY addicting.

Kris Strong
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Welcome Louis
I bow my head and say it wont happen again! It works every time so far. Take her for slow drives in the country, she will love it. But make her drive so you can look. In fact if you could ride around on top of a high camper it may offer you a better perspective that most hunters in cars dont get. OOhh she will have a ball. Dont forget walkie-talkies so you can get her to stop quickly. Happy hunting
Rick

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to the madness Louis. Remember this ITS EASIER TO ASK FOR FORGIVENESS THAN IT IS TO ASK FOR PERMISSION.LOL Your wife will get use to maybe. Mine didnt say much until I brought home seven globes at one time.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
T
OP Offline
T
LOL....good answers. The only problem is this, those are the same tried and true answers that I've given her for excuses for my love of firearms and all things with engines. I need some new answers that will set the pumps in a different catagory than just bringing home more "junk".

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Welcome Louis!! We've been married for 46 years and my wife still doesn't understand why I drag all the stuff home that I do! But she let's me display most of my collections in the house. Got to love her for that!!!

Bob

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Louis Welcome to Old Gas. I have been doing this for about 8 years or so. My wife complained in the beginning but dont mind now. I also used the same line that Paul did & she had nothing to say after that. Heck she has even been to a couple shows with me & has a good time smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Welcome Louis,

Try bribery; the last two globes I got cost me a new couch! I don't even want to think about what a Red Crown thermometer is going to cost.

I can't help much on dating your pumps but I'm sure someone on here can. The only thing I can tell you is that my short one has a wooden light switch. Post WWII and short of brass?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome aboard. Remember we like pictures so take lots of pictures. Try this, go to ebay and find the pump with a BIG price tag. Copy it and then you can leave it somewhere for her to see.
This seems to work when you are talking to someone about there rusted old pump in the scrap pile that they want lots of money for because they seen em go for BIG bucks.
Good luck,
Mike

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
REALLY !!!
There is a guy here in town that has a short #39 that he wants $850.00 for .....
I was trying very hard NOT to break out LAUGHING when he quoted me that price.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hi again Louis,

This may help you in dating your pumps. That was your question wasn't it? In general, short pumps are post WWII according to what literature I have seen.

I didn't read all the serial numbers on mine but I did note that it's origal ID tag says "Model No 80 Series 1", and in addition says "Pennsylvania Serial No 31" and "Approved by Massuchettes Model 8 Series 1".

Hope this helps. I think post WWII is a given. It will be interesting to see if someone can tie those numberes down.

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
My info says 4B is from 1947. Post pictures as you restore them, Welcome to the addiction

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved