Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Air Meter auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Hi, I am looking for a Sunoco Dynalube quart can and a Sunoco Special quart can as shown in the attached photos. These were all-metal cans used in the late 50's. Either good quality originals or reproductions would be fine, as these are for display purposes. Any help in locating one or both of these cans would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

can7a.jpg can1a.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
With a couple of better pictures I can repo them.
db

OP Offline
Thanks Dick. Unfortunately the only pictures I have right now are ones I copied off the web, likely from past ebay items or auctions, and they are too low a quality to repro from. I identified these particular cans from a color slide photo of my grandfather's Sunoco station in Hammondsport, NY taken in 1957. I have a few items from his actual station, and am in the process of collecting other period Sunoco items he might have used or sold, either original or repro. If anyone out there has one of these cans and would be willing to provide Dick with hi-res photos he could use to reproduce them, I would appreciate it a lot.
Thanks,
Dave

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
OK, got most of what I need. What I need now is a picture of what is on center of can, between the 2 logos [fronts] opposite the seam area [if seam is @ 12 o'clock, I need 6 o'clock].
Are these a Soldered or Crimp Seam ?
Thanks
db

OP Offline
Thanks Dick. I've attached two more photos of the Dynalube can showing the back label and seam side of the can. Seam appears to be crimped. I have no other photos of the Special can, but I believe all of their cans from this era were laid out the same. I have a repro Sunoco Sun-Motor 1957 can from the Fill-Er-Up website, and its layout is similar, although the back label wording is different from the Dynalube can's. Side opposite the seam (6 o'clock) looks just like the seam side minus the seam itself, i.e. plain color field with no text. Since some of the wording will be the same as the Sun Motor can, I can help you with that if necessary. Hope this helps you out. I appreciate all your efforts with this.
Thanks Again,
Dave

can2a.jpg can3a.jpg
OP Offline
Looks like I may be all set with this request, as Dick Bennett is going to try to make repro's of these cans. Thanks to Dick and also to Don Raleigh for providing photos!

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Here's some more I found..

Collecting Vintage Sunoco

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved