Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#162022 Fri Nov 27 2009 11:13 AM
R
OP Offline
R
A old sign that has faded due to years of exposure to sunlight and cannot be polished.
What to do? Is clear coating an old porcelain sign a option? The clear coating is not a big deal to remove latter if desired with paint stripper but do you feel it devalues a vintage sign? What do you think about a portion of the sign being clear coated to give the sign an over all nice shine? How many of you out there have vintage signs with one faded color with the other colors still with a nice gloss? I know all these signs were made to be used for just a few years with little thought for finish fade or changes in colors after years of sun light exposure. But for us collectors today, that wish to display them for are own enjoyment and hopefully as close to what these signs would have looked like in the day; is it wrong to clear coat them? Any thoughts on this subject? Happy Holidays: Rich Taylor

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hi Rich,
Good post. I think you are going to get a wide variety of opinions; the blue on Powerlube and Indian pump plates?

Personally, I don't do it. I prefer to display signs that have "aged gracefully". IMHO.

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Ive learned one thing from this site, that anytime you have any rare or unique collectable sign you just leave it and ponder over all its misery its been thru for it to be like this, in its original state. Dont get me wrong, I restore my pumps and do base coat clear coat myself and love the clean reflection it leaves, and Ive done signs as well with no regrets. Just watch what you do to a collector sign because the the more you monkey with it the less market value it may have. These big time sign collector guys are about to tell you. Roger

K
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
K
CLEAR COAT AWAY!!! If done properly the sign will look fabulous and just like you indicated, the clear coat can be easily removed. I had a Cities Service sign that had no chips but was extremely faded. I tried various waxes and polishing compound but no luck. I applied several clear coats and the sign looked great - just ask the Texaspelican. It is your sign, do as you like, but tell a potential buyer that it has been clear coated.

Koolmotor

George
George.Lee@midwayschools.com
701-520-9580
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ABOUT THE ONLY THING I CONSIDER CLEAR-COATING ARE PORCELAIN SIGNS. IF I SELL IT TO SOMEONE ELSE...I TELL THEM. BESIDES IF THEY DON'T LIKE IT...PAINT REMOVER WILL REMOVE THE CLEAR-COAT AND THE SIGN WILL BE BACK TO NORMAL.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I agree with everything said so far. But one thing you have to remember if the sign has a lot of shelling or the porcelain is rough that can pose problems later. Example if you clear coat the sign & later you want to strip it off if the sign has a lot of shelling the porcelain can be discolored or stained. It could turn the white into gray or darken other colors. Then the sign would be worth less than before. If it was me & it was a rarer sign or highly graphic sign I would leave it alone smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...pumps were made to be repainted - signs, globe lenses, quart cans, etc. were not...even if you do the right thing and tell the guy who buys the piece from you down the road what you've done, there's no guarantee he will share your sense of fair play when he decides to sell (and there's plenty of poorly-informed buyers out there)...

...when you decide to sell, if the sign's rough you only have one thing to apologize for during your sales pitch - the condition...start monkeying with it and the more 'salesmanship' you have to do...

...with an unrestored sign, you pretty much know what you're getting...

...I say leave it alone...if you like it, live with it...if not, pony up some more 'lettuce' and get a better one...

...I see signs that have an issue or two that have been touched-up and think, 'I wish they would have left that alone'...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A trick that has worked wonders for me, Especially if it is just sections of a sign, is WD-40, lay the sign down, spray it with WD-40 and let it sit in the sun for a little while, Then just wipe it off like you would dust, It will be a little greasy for a bit, but will last a long time, eventually the fading may come back if left outside but nothing lost, If left inside, will stay like that until you actually wash it off. I have also done it with complete faded signs with same result.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ADDING TO THE WD-40 IDEA ON FADED PORC SIGNS IS THAT PRODUCTS CALLED HOWARDS FEED & WAX. IT'S A CITRUS POLISH FOR FURNITURE, BUT WIPED ON AND BUFFED ACROSS A PORC SIGN, IT HOLDS IT VERY WELL IF DISPLAYED INSIDE.

Last edited by THE AMERICAN GARAGE; Fri Nov 27 2009 05:50 PM.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would say the clear coating dose brighten them up. But depends on the damage also. But if you plan on selling it. a collector will be totality turn off . I agree with AMERICAN GARAGE on the Howards Feed-n wax. Good luck.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Another product that I have found that works real good on porcelain to take the dullness away and make them shine like new is "Baby Oil", last so long like the other products and then needs to be re-done.

RANDY
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Have used car cutting wax to remove all the old dirt and grease and the best wax I have found is called ICE, I wax all my signs with it and it gives a clear coat look for about four months and then I rewax.The only signs I ever clear coat are painted ones that are flaking and you could lose anyway.

Last edited by coheley5; Fri Nov 27 2009 08:29 PM. Reason: spelling

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Clear It!!!!! Enjoy it!!! We only have a short time here on Earth and NONE of this STUFF will ever matter in the end!! God Bless!!

Michael

Romans 6:23

KJV Psalms 16:11

Thou wilt shew me the path of life:
in thy presence is fulness of joy;
at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
That is very true Mike wink

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I think KZ1000, and "THE DOC" have said it well, their ideas are easy things to do without alot of effort and it looks great, (I've done the same) and like GULFIEND said, if you dont like those ideas toss out more money and try and find a better example of that sign. Matt

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved