Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#154106 Wed Sep 30 2009 06:34 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Hi
I am in the uk and restoring an erie pump, 1936. I need a top.

Anyone know where I can get one of this pattern?

Thanks

Classicfix #154213 Wed Sep 30 2009 11:05 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
You and me both. They're hard to find.

I believe that there was a repro of it a few years back, but also hard to find.

There were two version of the top. One that completely covered the top and the other allowed for a globe. Looks like my pump top allowed for the globe.

This is a pump that I have.

Last edited by badgas; Wed Sep 30 2009 11:06 PM.
badgas #154214 Wed Sep 30 2009 11:36 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I agree with Badgas they are hard to find!! The pictures of Badgas's pump looks like the mount in the center is for a station lighter. I have 2 of these pumps one with a station lighter and the mount in the center looks just like his and another one with a top on it like the first pictures from Classicfix and the mount is all together different. Also on Basgas's pump I do not see any globe lighting provisions? I will look closer when I get a chance to see if there are any other differences between the 2 I have.

Classicfix #154232 Thu Oct 01 2009 06:11 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
These pumps came in 5 top varaitions.

ALL of them came with the 'sheetmetal' top shown in the first post.

The globe mount was designed to allow you to adjust the height of the globe body. This allowed you to lower the globe ring/body below the horizontal surface of the sheetmetal top and bury the retaining screws/bolts to prevent theft of the globe itself.

Since most of these pumps were used by Shell stations (in the US) - theft of the Clamshells was a reoccuring problem. This mounting arrangement eliminated this problem.

If you look closely at the first photo - you can just see the two pieces of flat sheetmetal that formed the flat top off to edge of the photo on the LH side.

These pumps were sold as (1) without globe provisions - in which casl the flat pieces of sheetmatel totally covered the top and there was no provision for mounting a globe, (2) with a globe mount in which case the flat sheetmetal pieces had half-rounds cut out of them to allow the globe to recess - and they had the globe mounts, (3) with a glass 'dome top' that replaced the flat sheetmetal pieces - and no globe mount provisions, (4) with the glass top - and custom-cut lettering that mounted to the RH & LH outer edges of the sheetmetal top assembly. This lettering was custom ordered by the station owner to read whatever he requested, and finally (5) a 'Station-lighter' version. On the Station-lighter version the flat plates/glass top are replaced with a cast steel base piece that held the 'tower' and light shade.

All varaitions are shown in Jack's book.

Later . . .

Jim

T-way #155409 Fri Oct 09 2009 09:05 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks for your help.

My pump is similar to the picture. It is a Cleveland Petrol model and I have the globe for it which of course lights up.

If you know of anyone who can reproduce these I would chip in to the cost as it sounds like at least 2 are needed and there would probably be a market for more.

Greg

Classicfix #155414 Fri Oct 09 2009 10:11 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
I'd chip in for a correct top. Without having the top, I'm discouraged from restoring this pump.

badgas #155561 Sat Oct 10 2009 08:46 PM
K
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
K
Has anyone ever found any lettering that goes on the top around the milk glass top?? Kent.

kentjay56 #156512 Mon Oct 19 2009 11:36 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Gqaspumpman or any other reader here

Is it possible to take some sort of mould from your existing top that I could take to a fabricator?

Alternatively do you know of one in the States? Would you be willing to get these costed as there seems to be a demand?

Greg (UK)

Classicfix #161190 Sat Nov 21 2009 11:23 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Hi again

just wondered if there is a book that shows colour schemes. Also still looking for the top.

Thanks

Greg

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved