Next Thread
Print Thread
#160158 Sun Nov 15 2009 04:49 PM
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Have a pump that I picked up about 2 years ago and it is missing the inners and base I believe. It was an old General Petroleum company for the decal is still visible. Any help would be great.
Thanks Craig

Image101.jpg Image099.jpg

Craig
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
It is defiantly a pre visible almost looks like a G&B smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yall got some weird pumps in the PNW !

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
This pumps is interesting, I don't think it is a "Pre-Visible" dam I hate that term, I believe it was made in the 20s. I do have a question, in the top picture, on the upper left side of the cabinet there appears to be a tube, am I correct? Also, the hole at the bottom of the lower picture, does that appear to have been for a handle?

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Yes, there is a glass tube with somekind of incriment in side like a 5 gal milwaukie visible attachment. The hole in the bottom I do not know what it is for. There is also another hole in the side like a G&B would have had for a handle or crank. The insides are gone, but I will get another picture of the remaining parts inside on Tuesday. Sheetmetal is very good for what I can see, and it had somekind of slide up panel where the large opening is on the side. The runners for that panel are still there. Some kind of a globe also I believe went on top.
Thanks

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
--Hole @ bottom, possibly for a drain back, too low for any size pump. Also appears to be a removable panel for hooking up pipe connections.
--Hole midway up for removable pump handle.
Appears door was an inside slider.
--Hole under glass tube for hose & nozzle.
Glass tube showing what was in reservoir [metal cylinder].
--Top casting reminds me of a KEESEE

C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Saw in Jack Sims book on page 45 of the second addition a automatic coin op self serve. Looked alittle like it but probably off.

Craig
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
It seems that more and more evidence is evolving that some smaller pump companies were experimenting with versions of the visible pump. The Butler SH-197 on page 114 of my books is a perfect example. Rather than go to the full extent of a large glass cylinder they tried tubes made of glass, that were outside the cabinet. I keep looking at the G&B 66 (the one with the almost straight round cabinet. While not the same as yours, it does have many of the lines your has. Since it appears that G&B didn't make a visible pump until around 1924, there is a possiblility that they experimented with tubes before making the big step to visible.
While Guarantee was selling the hell out of visibles, many companies were sitting back trying to figure which way to go. They were using clock mechanisims as early as 1915 and were probably geared up to continue with them when the visible pump came on the scene.
Tokheim made a couple of visibles around 1920, but then continued to make pumps that had meters, then in 1923 they finally jumped into visibles heavy.
Erie began in business making pumps with meters in 1921, but didn't make a visible pump until 1933.
Bennett, who for almost 10 years was in the grease and oil dispenser business before they even made any type of gas pump and this only came about when SSEC purchased Shotwell. Bennett finally made a their only visible in 1930.
I believe a lot of experimenting was done, and your pump may be one of those. Again, not a "Pre-Visible", it appears to be a visible.
Incidentally, the picture of the Butler pump (mentioned above) was taken at Iowa Gas about 5 years ago. The pump was sold to Kyle Moore for about $250.00 about 10 minutes before I got there.
It even still had the glass tubes and they were about 3' long.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Tue Nov 17 2009 10:34 AM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
I think that you are right about the G&B thing from the post. It does look at the side with the place where the crank handle should be like my old G&B on the side. Was looking at it today also and could see under the green General Petroleum paint the light green and red diamonds of Associated Gasoline colors like I have in an old ad. Same size and colors. I have a picture of the insides, but do not know how to post them here in a reply comment section. Thanks to all for the info, and I am going to use the color scheme on a pump.

Craig
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Craig,
If you ever figure out who made the pump, let me know.

Jack

C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
I think that you are right about the G&B thing from the post. It does look at the side with the place where the crank handle should be like my old G&B on the side. Was looking at it today also and could see under the green General Petroleum paint the light green and red diamonds of Associated Gasoline colors like I have in an old ad. Same size and colors. I have a picture of the insides, but do not know how to post them here in a reply comment section. Thanks to all for the info, and I am going to use the color scheme on a pump.

Craig

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved