Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#158450 Tue Nov 03 2009 04:17 AM
S
OP Offline
S
I apologize in advance if this is the incorrect forum to ask this question - found the site via Google.

I discovered a case of approx. 50 cans of unopened Cen-Pe-CO Super Racing Oil stored in the basement of a cabin on my father's dairy farm. He (my father) said he bought them back in the early 70's and just never used them. Can anyone shed any light on whether or not these cans, in their present condition, have any value as a collectible? I haven't found much info by Googling and when I was up at the Hershey swap meet last month I didn't see any similar cans to compare to. Thanks in advance for your help.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Your question is in the right forum, thanks for posting on the site.

Opinions will vary, but IMO 5-10 $ per can if you sell them individually. I've got one in very good condition and I think I gave $25 for it.

You could try listing them for sale here and see what happens or put one on ebay to test the market.

If I'm off on the value somebody will chime in that might have more specific knowledge of your can.

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Welcome....The company is The Central Petroleum Co. out of Iowa. I was raised on a tobacco farm in Maryland and we used all types of CEN-PE-CO products. My guess was that it is the brand most local farm dealers stocked??? Our supplier delivered Cities Service gasoline/diesel and this oil. Hope this helps? Paul

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would say "Ohio Oil" hit it right on the head with the $5-10 range on the cans in that condition. Dead Mint cans like this would be in the $25-$30 range. I really think that these Cen-Pe-Co Racing cans have the greatest Graphics for the Lower End Cans, Maybe even a little under valued. Just My Opinion...

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the info/opinions. I was guessing $5-10 per can based on similarly aged cans I saw at Hershey last month, but wanted to find some more educated opinions. I'll probably just hang onto them til spring Carlisle and try to unload them then in person. I don't want to get into selling them online/shipping them for the small amount of money involved. Thanks again.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to the site. If you want to "clean up" the rust somewhat, take a small square of Alum foil and rub the rust lightly. The foil can remove paint, so use caution. It is unbelievible how much a can, can be cleaned up with a minimum of work. Get rid of some of the rust and the price per can will go up. I have used this method many times on my cans and tins.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Jason I agree that is a cool can.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved