Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#158531 Tue Nov 03 2009 04:07 PM
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I was looking at Dan's auction coming up this Sat. Nov 7 and noticed there are a few globes that are restored. Auction reads restored and fogged over back. Do you think these will bring very little money? The days of 10o/o or 15o/o restoration are gone... they are just saying restored now.

Question is this... guys would buy lenses with little fading and have them touched up. I would guess your better off leaving it alone than to touch it up.
I guess we will find out Sat what they do.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Jarvis #158536 Tue Nov 03 2009 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think you're better off leaving it alone. "Restoration" on signs and globes can be 10%, 15%, or who knows, it might be 100% restored. Skepticism over 100% restorations will probably keep the price down.

I've seen "restored" signs where even parts that were in good shape have minute differences indicating they were repainted too (compared to "before" photos). If you're going to do that, why not start with a blank piece of material, and have 2 signs or lenses...

Wes

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think it depends on the buyer. First of all, I don't know the first thing about globes. But after being at auctions, like B-J, I know that the "I've got more money than, God" crowd don't care if a globe, sign or car has been "retouched". A purest, like those here (I believe) will overwhelmingly say leave it alone. A guy just wanting to show off his wealth, would want the globe to "pop" and a naturally worn globe won't have the same "pop" as the "retouched". Just my .02 worth of BS, LOL.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Good point there Bob. Never looked at it that way.

Jarvis #158566 Tue Nov 03 2009 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
John, I think in most all previous auctions the majority of people have spoken with the low bids on restored globes. They usually never bring more than the price the higher end repos bring. The restoration process leaves the collector NOT knowing what went on and how much was restored.
I got a call the other day from a well-respected dealer asking my opinion on some SoHIo globes he bought at an auction. Without going into alot of detail, several major descoveries were made that I believe will be brought out soon and tilt the wheels of the restored globes even further in the grave.

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Restored lenses.....might as well buy a repo

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
(Restored lenses.....might as well buy a repo)
Could not agree more, 15-20 percent restored right!! try 100 percent use them as frisbees.

WTB. Arizona quarts,Indian signs/cans, Musgo/Shell/Speedway 79,graphic signs/cans,#616-886-4917...
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Well everything said I agree 100% on. But if it is a higher end globe or somewhat high end globe it might be worth buying it if the price is right until a unrestored one comes along. As for the back of the lenses being frosted over who knows if those are the real deal or made up. Just my 2 cents worth smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I agree, leave them alone. Bob had a good point about the "I've got more money than, God crowd" but the value is still gone. Let them just buy the "pretty" repop globes if they are just wanting to decorate.

Wes i can't comment on signs as i know nothing about signs and have never looked at a touched up one. Sign guys will have to respond to that one.

Jarvis #158633 Wed Nov 04 2009 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've got a question for the auction house.

If these lenses were truly only 'fogged over' on the back to brighten up the white - why not take some reducer and strip off that paint? The reducer won't hurt the frit - only remove the white.

This auction is not B-G, so the globe collectors that attend this auction 'should' be willing to pay what an unrestored globe/lens is actually worth.

That would give the auction house more profit on the final price. I would think more $$'s than letting these sell lower than they could because no one can actually tell the extent of the 'restoration'

--------------------

BTW - I'm pretty sure that I've seen Item #177 in-the-flesh. If it IS the one I've seen, it's not a fogged over back - it's a total repaint. I'd make sure to check the front surface of the lens to see if there is ANY weathering to it before I bid on it. It might even be brand new glass.

--------------------

Roger:

I hear ya . . . I look forward to that information coming out.

Later . . .

Jim

T-way #158641 Wed Nov 04 2009 11:44 AM
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T-way... that is true but my guess is that since most everything Dan Matthews sells is consigned so i guess that is up to the consignee to make that call if they want to remove the white fog.

Jarvis #158651 Wed Nov 04 2009 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jim, I will not be involved in the article at all. I have always stayed clear of restored globes. I got caught in enough ***** years ago being accused and such that I stay clear of these type things now. I am just a collector and occasional dealer but NEVER a dealer in restored globes. I knew what was up years ago and tried to tell everyone on this site and got in trouble. Some of you may remember what was said before the Jerry Winston auction in 2003 that Dan did when he was with Aumann. Oh well, if someone needs a restored globe, I would suggest buying a limited one from T-Way that is marked as such. Leave the other "restored" stuff alone.

Jarvis #158720 Thu Nov 05 2009 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
John:

True - that should/would be the owner's call. But the logic still holds since 'restored' globes/lenses appear to have little value in today's market.

Roger:

I understand your position. I have been in contact with said dealer myself. This 'restored' lens problem has gotten out of hand and is quickly moving into (what I consider) fraud.

P.S. Seems my posting about Lot #177 got me 'Banned' from the 'other channel'. ROTFLMAO
I didn't post there anymore anyway - so no big loss.

Later . . .

Jim

T-way #158762 Thu Nov 05 2009 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
So you got banned for speaking out against basically a repop globe thats a new one. I wonder who is next?

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
s932 #158894 Fri Nov 06 2009 07:23 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I feel the same about "restored" signs as most of you seem to feel about restored globes. I can live with some touch up, if its done correctly, but I have seen signs that did not have a single inch of original surface left. This to me is a recreation,not restoration. Might as well start with a new piece of metal and paint it.

R D
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved