Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#157641 Wed Oct 28 2009 08:15 PM
J
Jason Z Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Good evening! I'm new to this forum and gas pumps so pardon the basic questions. I have been reading the archives some but haven't been able to find all my answers.

I picked up a Bennett 766, I believe it's an early version. I have the spec numbers, serial numbers, etc but I haven't found a reference to verify the details about the pump. As you can see from the pictures this was a Sinclair pump and I have learned Bennett was the pump of choice for Sinclair. I noticed most pumps which are restored have the pumps removed. My plan is to restore the pump but use it on my farm. This pump has had the globe hole plated over with a sheet metal patch. Also the sight glasses have block off plates which I would like to put back to original.

I'm working on the Vetter-Root computer. It had a mouse nest inside and the price selectors are pretty stiff. I haven't removed the computer but looks pretty easy to pull out.

If it does work out to put the pump back into service I would like to find a manual to properly maintain it.

Best I can tell the Sinclair sign is original. I would like to paint it back to original colors. It looks like main chassis was white at one time but repainted red. The doors were red and green at some point. However, the Sinclair pumps I have seen on the web have white doors and a green chassis. Was that always the color scheme? Looks like mine might have been red chassis, green doors.

I have lots of questions but I will hold off for now!

Thanks for this site it has been very informative!

Jason

CIMG0015.jpg
Chassis side

CIMG0016.jpg
chassis opposite side

CIMG0017.jpg
hose side

CIMG0018.jpg
doors

Jason Z in MO
Tractors, John Deere, Corvair, 1965 Ford Truck, Planes, Ham Radio
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Jason Z #157644 Wed Oct 28 2009 08:33 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...the sign is old (1959), but not as old as the ad glass in the door (early-to-mid 1950's)...the pump, painted to match the correct period Power-X livery, would have been red sides with white doors and top...and I believe there was a white rectangle on the sides - a Sinclair guy can get you the particulars...I think Power-X globes are available as reproductions so you wouldn't have to put a $350 globe outside and take your chances...attached is a picture of a tin coin bank modeled after your make of pump...there was a Power-X bank that matched this one (couldn't find a photo on eBay to swipe), but this should give you the general idea...

sinclair bank.jpg

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I can tell you anything you need to know about how to rebuild or maintaining any component in that cabinet.
Most of the internal parts,gaskets etc are still available.
You can buy a rebuilt, pre calibrated meters ready to install from certain places, that way your measure will be correct.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
jkyocom #157653 Wed Oct 28 2009 11:59 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
If you are looking for information/literature on your pump I have both Bennett 766 and Veeder-Root info listed. The Parts List shown for the 766 is what was in the box with the pump when it was delivered to the station.

Start by going to: www.petrocollect.com

Look for Gas pump Literature, buth the Bennett and the V/R are listed there.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to oldgas Jason and good luck with your pump. My first pump was bennett 966 its still my favorite

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
s932 #157659 Thu Oct 29 2009 05:46 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Jason welcome to Old Gas. The pump looks fairly straight & rust free. Your resto should be fairly easy smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Kinda sucks that the sight glass is blocked off.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Only Pardon you need is from the WIFE !
WE are all ADDICTED.

J
Jason Z Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks Guys, I sure as he11 don't need another hobby but looks like I might be heading down that path! I think the wife has finally just accepted I'm hopeless and we will remain broke!

Any issues with collecting the parts to put the sight glass back together? Looks like all I need is the bezel, glass, gasket, and the whirly bird or whatever it's called...

Jack, I'm checking out your website, thanks for having this information, I notice you live in St. Louis and not too far from where I work. I'm at Olive and I-270 but live in Warrenton.

Gulfriend, thanks for the information. Good to know the sign doesn't match the ad glass. I will be on the look out for the correct sign. I would like to put it back to original, sign and paint scheme. There was only one sign on one side. There other door doesn't have any holes so I assume it only had a single sign. Perhaps the pump was next to a building and not on an island. All the signs are porcelain; the Sinclair and the two "Lead" signs, as well as the computer bezels. Are the replacement, repo signs also made of porcelain?

It is in pretty good shape the worst of the rust and pitting is under the signs as would be expected but the signs themselves are in really pretty good shape.

The pump parts are all free, turning it by hand it feels smooth. I don't think the pumping parts have any problems.

jkyocom, One thing I can't figure out is I'm not able to lift the lever which would turn on the pump. The computer is zero'ed but the lever is locked. Also, it was zero'ed when I got it and I'm not able to rotate the crank. Don't know if it's frozen or lock's itself after returning to zero...

Jason Z in MO
Jason Z #157702 Thu Oct 29 2009 02:01 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Having the sight glasses blocked off on this styly Bennett pumps seems to be quite common. I have had a number of them. The only thing you will need is the sight glasses and the spinners, but if you intend to use this pump you all also need gaskets, actually a lot of new gaskets.
You might have a hard time getting a permit to put a tank in the ground, you should check on this before going to all the work to make it work.
BTW, I live up by the airport in St.John.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...they would have been decals, not signs on a Power-X pump...should be repros out there...

...it's harder to find a wife after you've started this hobby - as you already have one, you should be OK...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There is a lockout mech on the opposite side of the reset to keep from resetting the pump during delivery.
if you disconnect it and the computer will still not reset, it may be in the computer.
It's been a while since I played with one but it should be.... reset, remove nozzle and lift lever to turn on motor, deliver product, cut off by returning the nozzle to the rest.

If you use an above ground tank you need to plug the air eliminator line that leads off the pumping unit and vents out the side.
Do not do this on a buried tank.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
J
Jason Z Offline OP
OP Offline
J
My intention is to use a ground mounted tank. This is how it was used before I got it. It was probably last used about 5-6 years ago. When I disconnected the line from the tank to the pump it was still holding fuel so it hasn't been sitting dry.

I will have a shed roof over the pump and tanks so it will be somewhat protected. (I have a couple of gravity tanks; gas and diesel) Which brings me to another question. Anything special about using this pump for diesel fuel?

Jason Z in MO
Jason Z #157714 Thu Oct 29 2009 02:55 PM
J
Jason Z Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Jkyocom,

Thanks again! you just answered another question I was saving up. This was used with an above ground tank. The steel tube from the pump to the noozle receiver has been disconnected and replaced with a drain plug; the type you would find on the bottom of a radiator. (An old radiator not a plastic one!) I assumed this was some sort of vent but didn't know why it would be disconnected.

Now I know it's an air eliminator and why it was removed.

I will try your suggestion about removing link from the lockout to the computer.

I can turn the computer input shaft but it's a pretty stiff.

Thought it was pretty amazing the max price you can set is 49.9 CENTS!!!!

Jason Z in MO
Jason Z #158391 Mon Nov 02 2009 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jason...check the photos of the pump in the Oldgas post linked below, it's pretty close to what your pump paint scheme, decals etc., should look like:

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=158381

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved