Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Several of you have seen my Newbie post on my Tokheim 300 pump. I haven't been quite able to nail down the exact model as it doesn't quite match anything I have found even in Jack's book. Also the Veeder Root references patents in 1962 so it is at least a 62 model.

Regardless I am trying to figure out what brand of gas was sold through this pump originally. Doors and top were yellow (not gold) and sides were white. it looks like the doors were painted yellow after white. Doors have evidence of 4 holes for a "sign". The distance betwen holes are 9 9/16 wide by 10 7/8 high.

It has had one nice repaint to a turquise color. I haven't found any paint scheme with white sides and yellow doors, but you guys are much more knowledgeable than I am.

I figure it could have been white at one time, then potentially white sides with yellow doors and top. At one of those potential situations it had a sign.

Later it was painted turquoise and the holes for the sign were filled. I see no evidence of a decal.

I'll add a picture tonight.

Thoughts?

Frank
1956 Chevrolet 210 Delray Sedan
1963 VW Type 1 with 1600cc; slammed
1965 IHC with SBC and Turbo 350
19?? Tokheim 300
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
OP Offline
picture attached (I hope)

my tokheim 300 015 small.jpg

Frank
19?? Tokheim 300
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
SHELL

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Frank , the only companies that come to mind that used that Yellow were Sunoco , but they generally had a royal Blue motif . Amoco American prior to 1960 , they became Red after that and of course as Scott Baselt mentioned , Shell regular . That Tourquose was used here in the east at former Sinclair stations that were re- branded B P . That was only for a short while as B P pulled out of the Sinclair territories and went back north until Sohio merged with B P . B P then came back in as far as North Carolina under former Gulf stations . If thats not confusing enough , it gets better ! Gulf became Chevron and Amoco became B P , featuring Amoco gasoline . To answer your question , I dunno . Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Well said Ed smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Local distributor/rebuilder might have changed out the doors for what ever reason to put it back in service for a farm or commercial use.

I've got an A-38 that was SUNSET, but had RICHFIELD decals on doors w/ 4-5 more decals under that !

OP Offline
Scott - I had thought of Shell as I understand they were not very good about enforcement of corporate standards laugh Digging a round a bit one of the "clues" might be the sign mounts. I have only seen Shell signs (so far) with 3 holes in a triangle shape.

Ed- The turquise reminds me of the Sinclair station down the street from my parents house, but they left the area (Indiana) when I was still a little guy so my memory might not be that good.

I suppose knowing the pump dates to no earlier than '62 might also provide some clues. Looks like the last inspection in Michigan was in 1974.

Keep the ideas coming in. I'll "restore" it to go outside the garage, so I have options for brand, but I thought it might be fun to find out what it was originally.

Frank
19?? Tokheim 300
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I applaud your efforts in trying to restore your pump to its original livery. However, it is possible that your pump was painted that way by an independant. If there is no decal under the paint, your chances are slim, that you would find the original brand.

A lot of people, will respond with "Its your pump. Paint it any way you want". Personaly, I feel that a response like that is a bit unsettling. However, it does ring true. If you have memories as a child of a particular brand, or if you worked for a certain company, or even if you like a particular color scheme, go with it. As long as the colors, decals, globe, ect, match the date of the pump use.

As for me, I collect CHEVRON stuff. It was just a bonus, that one of my pumps, WAS a CHEVRON Supreme pump.

Have some fun with it. Hammertone the frame. Assemble it with chrome nuts & bolts. White gloss for the inner skins. And triple clear coats for the outers. It will look great in the corner of the living room, next to the lubester that you painted to match. Both of them, under the sign on the wall. which you put next to the rack, with all the matching oil cans......http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=107689&page=1

Everybody knows what I'm talking about. Its a passionate hobby. Hold on tight brother.... You're headed down a long & winding road, at full throttle, going for a wild ride. Welcome to the madness.... And welcome to Oldgas....

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
SHELL also used a plastic almost square sign w/ molded out emblem. Never kept one so I can't measure the holes.

H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
"Its your pump. Paint it any way you want".
grin grin cool

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yeah.... Like bob said...

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I would say that it was a Shell pump at one time. I have a Tok 39 that was painted Shell yellow and had the plastic Shell signs on it when I got it. The hole measurements are exactly the same as yours.

OP Offline
Thanks Guys!

Part of the fun is just trying to learn soem of the history for me. I haven't decided on how to make it my own, but wanted to at least add to the options of making it original if it was something "fun" .

Leaning toward Mobil - had one at a Marina I worked at when in High School and College (it was a Tokheim 39), texico as there was one in the neighborhood as a kid or Sinclair as there was one on the corner when I was a kid as well ( my wife likes the DINO)

I would do somehting more exotic if it would be inside, but this will eb out in the weather outside the garage. AMybe for the next pump it will be more unusual smile

Frank
19?? Tokheim 300

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved