Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#157720 Thu Oct 29 2009 03:18 PM
Alex Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
A friend of mine (without a computer so I have not seen the pump) bought a National 64. It was a Flying A with the green procelain skins. It has some chips in the porcelain. Some are a couple of inches big. Can anyone offer some ideas as to how to restore it to get it to match? He wants to keep the porcelain and the Flying A Green. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited by Alex; Thu Oct 29 2009 03:18 PM.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Alex #157724 Thu Oct 29 2009 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would leave it alone unless it has a bunch of chips. As far as repairing the porcelain find a guy who fixes tubs and sinks and see if they can color match. Always can strip and paint but you lose the porcelain job. My 2 cents. Ted

Ted Pam Ethyl & Polly Roach
Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
Looking for Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Douglas, Gilmore and Richfield
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi I did one,the top was porcelain but the pump was just painted.What I did and mine was a chipped up too is I took the top to the automotive paint store and had them color match it to the top.Then I put in my sand blaster to just give it a quick blast to give the glaze and primer something to stick to.Where ever it was chipped down to metal is where I used a two part glaze or bondo works also and I finished it like any other pump.I did the mud work then a couple coats of high build primer sand it all out and good as new and you can't tell it was ever damaged.Mine was pretty beat up and it turned out great.
Hope this heps Joe

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Side shot

Alex #157746 Thu Oct 29 2009 05:04 PM
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
I've done a few of these. If you're looking for the best option to keep as much of the original porcelain as possible without painting over it, then you'll have to have the paint color matched, use a little body puddy to fill the chips and make it even with the surrounding areas,sand it smooth, and then airbrush each area. It will never look "perfect" as it would if you uniformly painted the entire pump, but it does looke pretty dang nice if you take your time. Depending on how dinged-up the pump is, this might be worth the time and it might not. This really only works if we're talkng about "chips" and not bigger bodywork issues. Good luck to your friend.

Alex Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks guys. I will pass it all along. If others have thoughts, please chime in.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved