Next Thread
Print Thread
#156576 Tue Oct 20 2009 02:52 PM
D
Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
D
I have a question on globes on Wayne 866 pumps, so I thought I would get others opinions to help me out. The unit I aquired does not have a globe holder. In my quest to restore the pump to an original Socony-Vacuum scheme, I feel it would be best to add a globe to it. In my research it feels as if the globe was about the only thing other than the ad glass that branded the pump as Mobilgas. They did not use the "pump plates" on this model that I've seen attached to them to make them a "Mobil" pump, only a few different decals originally as far as I can tell. When I originally posted the pump find I was asked if I was going to do it in Mobil and I said no because I hadn't really liked the Wayne 60's I had seen restored to Mobil, as they just didn't look right to me with a pump plate bolted on the door. But since then I have changed my mind and decided to do the pump in my favorite brand! smile

Now that I have done more research on correct color schemes I think I've found one that would suit the pump beautifully. I was at a local antique store and found a copy of Motor News magazine that was printed by AAA for Michigan motorists in the 30's and 40's. In it is an ad for "Spee-D-Wash" in Detroit, a car wash that sold White Star Mobilgas. Low and behold the pumps in the photo were Wayne 866's, in a great red and white color scheme. SO, after my big story above, here is my question! What size globe IS the correct size for a Wayne 866 or 60? I was planning on using my 13 1/2" Mobilgas Ethyl globe and restoring it to the Ethyl scheme in the photo I found, but I'm not sure if it would be a correct size or not? Can anyone more in the know on this sort of thing help me out?
Thanks for any replies,
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Anything made after 1935

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
S
S
I don't know the "correct" answer, but my thought is that the Wayne 60/866 is such a large pump, that the 15" globe is the way to go; the smaller globe would look out of proportion. That's the thinking I'm going with on my 866.

Steve

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
13.5" Capco & glass body globes were in common use since early 30's. So any globe size you chose will be correct.

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Here is a 13.5 on a wayne the globe edges are even with the chrome strips on the shoulders, a 15 inch would exceed this, so it your choice

D
Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
D
Thanks to all who replied.
I know folks probably put whatever globe was available at the time on the pumps, so I would agree that virtually any size could be found on any given model.
My model is an 866 wide body. Could someone post a pic of their wide body with a 13.5" globe? (Preferably from far enough back to size up the whole pump.) I would appreciate it. It would help make my mind up!
Thanks,
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved