Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#155068 Wed Oct 07 2009 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
is this a real or repro sign?anyidea of age ,and or value?looks newer to me.thanks

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don't hold me to this...but I seem to remember some time back a discussion about this being a fantasy piece. But, please don't take my word for it.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mick, I'm getting old and my eyes aren't the greatest, anymore. That being said, the tail doesn't seem to have the detail that I would expect an original sign to have. This sign seems to have some of the problems that reproduction "tin" signs and toppers seem to have, lack of detail. But like I said, my eyes aren't what they used to be and "blowing up the photo" I lose even more detail.So I might be wrong about how "detailed" the sign truly is. But, from what I can see, it looks "off" to me.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
thats what i thought.just checkin. its on craigslist around here.

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Another thing to Think about is, How would it have been used ?

P
P
Dick's question is a good one. "Special" was a grade of gasoline and everything I've seen with "Mobilgas Special" was somehow attached to a pump (globes, signs). Not sure how this light would be used on a pump. Nice looking piece, but somehow it doesn't really make "sense".

Richard

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
To me it looks like it was on the outside wall of the "store" and this is where they put the cases of windshield washer fluid or BBQ briquettes. Date wise? I'm thinking late 1980's thru 1990's. tt

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mick, my "Mobil Guide" doesn't mention a Mobilgas "Special" neon sign. The more I try to find info on the sign, the more it looks to be a fantasy sign.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
HEY MICK!...HOW BIG AND HOW MUCH? JUST CURIOUS! wink

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Strictly from a design standpoint it looks fake. I could see a single horse between Mobil and Special...but two horses facing each other in that small of a space looks overdone to me.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
14x 26 and 135.00 kinda cool but "where was it used?" just talked to the guy who has it,he owns a sign shop and made these for some car guys.this one was left over. he's not out to fool anyone on em and sounds like a real nice guy. has a shop in an old texaco station not to far from me.gonna try to go and meet him this weekend. told him also about oldgas so he may show up.

Last edited by oldnfuelish; Thu Oct 08 2009 02:04 PM.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
MICK, IF IT LOOKS REALLY GOOD (LIT UP)....OFFER HIM $100 CASH! LOL!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...look at the typefaces used on this sign - then look at something you know is original, for comparison...if you educate yourself about the differences in typefaces (or fonts), the fakes start to stand out...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved