Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#154571 Sat Oct 03 2009 08:48 PM
P
OP Offline
P
SIMILAR TO JARVIS' POST ABOUT WHAT PUMPS SELL BEST MY QUESTION FOR DISCUSSION BY THE VETERAN COLLECTORS AND DEALERS IS THIS- WHAT ITEMS, BRANDS CATEGORIES ETC DO U SEE GOING UP IN PRICE MORE RAPIDLY THAN OTHERS OVER THE NEXT FEW YEARS? IS THERE AN AREA THAT HASNT BEEN "DISCOVERED" YET? IM INTERESTED IN ALL OPINIONS AND AREAS OF PETROLIANA.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
pony1966 #154573 Sat Oct 03 2009 09:20 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IF ONLY!

No one has ever been able to predict that.

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
st.rod #154575 Sat Oct 03 2009 09:26 PM
P
OP Offline
P
NOT PREDICTING-GUESSING LOL. MAYBE ANOTHER WAY TO ASK-DOES ANYONE SEE ANY TRENDS?

Last edited by pony1966; Sat Oct 03 2009 09:27 PM.
pony1966 #154793 Mon Oct 05 2009 11:34 AM
G
G
Used to do 6-8 pump restorations a year; did 2 this year. Demand is down to zip. The ones I sold I had to drop the prices on....Not sure it will come back..still have about 45 pumps and the pile is for sale. Air meters still selling fairly well. Run of the mill smalls not selling either. Not buying too mch common stuff these days...hope it comes back....

gaspumpchas

gaspumpchas #154798 Mon Oct 05 2009 12:27 PM
P
OP Offline
P
is there an area, brand etc that you feel hasnt been "discovered" yet.

m

pony1966 #154800 Mon Oct 05 2009 12:53 PM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
If any of uss could predict it, I'm sure that we wouldn't be telling anyone and buying it all up.

chadrock00 #154801 Mon Oct 05 2009 12:55 PM
P
OP Offline
P
i guess thats why only a couple of responses lol

pony1966 #154803 Mon Oct 05 2009 01:34 PM
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
I asked a similar question when I started out and the best advice I got here was collect what you like. Granted, we all want to see the value rise, so pay attention to the prices of the stuff you like and buy in that range. You cant go wrong if you enjoy looking at it. And buy quality.
Check out Antiques Roadshow. Someone will have a piece appraised and they will say " The market is really hot for this, you can get $5000" The next piece they will say "You could have gotten $5000 for this a couple years ago, but now its worth $3000" So buy what you like for a fair price

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Vermonter #154817 Mon Oct 05 2009 02:44 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I have been watching the "Petro For Sale" on this site, an it seems signs and quart cans are the top sellers, don't know if they are bringing what they were worth (or more) years ago, but they are selling. Pumps and globes coming next. Pumps seem down in price for the common and the next level pumps are holding their own. Besides the ECO 90 series air meters (and they are down about a $100 from a couple of years ago) there aren't enough meters offered to form an opinion.

My opinion, what do you think?

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #154872 Tue Oct 06 2009 01:07 AM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I remember about 8 or so years ago when Outboard Oil was the big thing going. Just about anything outboard brought good money at the time. I don't believe that is the case anymore as there are lots of Outboard items out there to be bought a a fair or less than fair price. A couple years after that 30 inch signs were huge. They still are, but back then collectors were paying 300 to 500 more for them for some reason or another. If your doing this to make money and do figure it out, you are what I call a genius. If you are just collecting to be collecting and selling a bit here and there to buy more, it shouldn't matter. Buy what you like. Collect what you like, it's all about quality of life, not what everyone else thinks.

chadrock00 #154898 Tue Oct 06 2009 07:58 AM
P
OP Offline
P
ok chad thanks for the advice. however, it was just a question for discussion. ive never collected for value appreciation. was just curious where the veterans and dealers thought the hobby was headed. every area of collecting matures and evolves.

mike

pony1966 #155200 Thu Oct 08 2009 07:54 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here's my take on it. The future of our hobby will be determined by the newcomers coming into it today. Who knows what they will do? NOT ME!

From what I have seen, when they first start and visit several good, well displayed collections at the local level they usually buy a little of everything; "I like it all". Then, as they learn more about the hobby, they begin to refine their collections into the areas of most interest to them. I will note that globes are a hard sell to beginners because some think they are too expensive, too fragile and are concerned about the volume of reproductions out there.

Just my experience in my own area where there are several good collections for them to visit; may be totally diferent elsewhere. I think its great for beginners to be exposed to a lot collections and to talk to experienced collectors when starting out.

Old Iron #155202 Thu Oct 08 2009 09:03 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
As a newcomer to the hobby I collect anything I can get my hands on, I like it because it is artwork to me. I would rather have thousands of oil cans and hundreds of pumps than paintings worth thousands of dollars.

Looking for anything Hancock, Signal, Veedol/Flying A and Richfield
Old Iron #155203 Thu Oct 08 2009 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mike--Being a fairly "new" collector, I can tell you what direction I've taken. I started about 3 years ago and at first, I grabbed up anything that caught my eye! After I had a few things laying around and saw what was available, I began to do a little thinking on the process and decided to refine my collecting to a direction of sorts! The sheer volume of collectible gas and oil items is overwhelming and I like it all, so where do I go?
I formed a few rules for myself and I'm trying to hold to them as much as possible. First is--no soda pop collecting --great stuff but its too much. Second is No car dealership stuff--again great stuff but again too much! That put me onto a direction of strictly gas and oil and I knew I had to refine that also in order to not be overwhelmed! I chose one main company and a couple of alternates and I pretty much stay within my guidelines when collecting for myself.
BUT--heres the kicker--You HAVE to be current on values of ALL gas & Oil because you can't control what might come along at any given time and you need to be ready to buy the wonderful DEAL that just popped up! These deals will fuel your interest and the profit from them will greatly aid in your ability to afford bigger and better things!!
I believe there is 2 things that you want to concentrate on--one is self education by examining as many sales reports as possible and keep an eye on Ebay as it can reveal sales trends and values over a period of time. Remember, Ebay has a vast audience and provides us with a pretty broad sampling of sales to use for information!
And last but not least is QUALITY. Always buy quality when given an option. I'm continually upgrading my own collection, every day with my searches. Thats one of the most enjoyable aspects of this hobby. I know what I like and when I get a chance to upgrade, I buy the better item and sell what I had previously. FUN--FUN--FUN
As to what direction the hobby in general might take, There isn't anyone that can answer that confidently and knowledeably. They can only tell you their own directions based on their past experiences. But you're headed in the right direction, because by discussing it with others, you will develop your own strategy and direction for the future. Good Luck and I hope you're still on this web site, several years from now and still collecting gas & oil!!!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
K W FRITH #155209 Thu Oct 08 2009 10:16 AM
P
OP Offline
P
KEVIN,

GREAT ADVICE. THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE.

MIKE

Page 1 of 2 1 2