Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#153856 Sun Sep 27 2009 07:38 PM
P
Pegasus Offline OP
OP Offline
P

So here’s the story.......got a call from a collector in New Mexico about a double-sided Socony sign.....the nice folks at Matthews Auctions had given him my name and telephone number. He described it as a 21” hanging sign in good condition, so I asked that he send photos via email. When I got the pictures, my first thought was “now that’s odd”......the sign wasn’t anything like what I was expecting. Anyway, we made a deal and he sent the sign. After seeing the pictures, I decided it should be displayed as intended......from a hanging bracket. So I got a nice one from fellow oldgasser Sam Cooper. The sign and bracket arrived the same day, and the next day both were hung, as shown in the following photos.

Of course, the “odd” part is the Pegasus facing LEFT on one side and facing RIGHT on the other side. I don’t recall ever seeing another double-sided Mobil sign where that was the case. Actually, I have 60 double-sided signs, including station ID signs, curb signs, flanged signs, porcelain “globe” signs, lubester paddle signs, and inside display signs.....on all of them both sides are identical. And of course there’s also gas pump globes, which are really just another type of double-sided sign....all with identical lenses on both sides.

So now I start wondering about other brands......did any of them have signs with left and right facing images on opposite sides? Seems like it would only apply to brands that use a “character” logo with a front end and a back end, like an animal, vehicle, airplane, or something like that. Or maybe even a word with motion lines, like Ashland’s flying octanes logo. I don't pay that close attention to brands I don't collect, but I can't recall seeing any like this Socony sign.

Finally then, here are my questions: (1) Does anyone have a double-sided sign in their collection that has this type of “mirror” images, either Mobil or any other brand? (2) Has anyone seen this particular sign before? It measures 21” x 21”. Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

Richard

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Pegasus #153879 Mon Sep 28 2009 04:44 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
RICHARD THAT IS A VERY COOL 2-COLOR SIGN. YOU DIDN'T MENTION IF PORCELAIN OR METAL SCREENED AND IT LOOKS AS THOUGH THERE ARE NO NAMES OR NUMBERS PRINTED AROUND THE BORDER. DOES IT ACTUALLY FEEL AND LOOK LIKE THE REAL McCOY? WHAT A FIND IF IT IS!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have seen some Sunoco signs with the diagonal arrow going top left to bottom right on one side,while the opposite side has it reversed.Still others are identical on both sides.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The sign is porcelain & its the real McCoy......very nice sign...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
CAN ANYBODY SAY WHAT IT'S ORIGINAL APPLICATION WAS?

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Real nice sign. thanks for showing it to us. jack

Jack R #153969 Mon Sep 28 2009 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Manufactured by;
Frugal Signs Inc.????
"We use the same screen over and over and over"........

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
jkyocom #153979 Mon Sep 28 2009 06:11 PM
P
Pegasus Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thanks DOC.....forgot to mention it's porcelain. As Darryl stated, I'm confident it an original......heavy shelving, heavy gauge metal, several small manufacturing errors, a few real chips with real rust, etc. As for how it was originally used/displayed, I'm thinking that some early Socony outlets were small retail stores selling more than just petroleum products. Maybe the sign would have been hung on the store front indicating gas & lubricatants were available here. I'm thinking the sign's from the late 1920's to the very early 1930's. The Pegasus was registered as a trademark in the U.S. in 1933.

Richard

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved