Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I have the opportunity to buy this Sinclair Aircraft 1 piece globe for $3500 & since i'm not a globe collector it would be for sale..My question is would it be worth any more than the $3500? I know some of you guys know a lot about globes & i know little.....There are some issues, there are some chips at the bottom & it has a hairline crack in one of them as you can see in the photo.its stops short of the "P" in Pat....There is some fading & one side has about a quarter size piece of paint missing above the tail of the plane..on one side it has a streak from the top that looks like a paint run, but its not & it will not wipe off, on the other side same place looks like a run or crack however its a factory defect in the glass ...otherwise everything else looks good....any help is appreciated & Thank You in advance

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This globe is quite rare and it looks to be in pretty decent shape the paint loss hurts it a bit but for as rare as this globe is I think 3500.00 is a pretty fair price. Now reselling it i've seen junked out ones go for 1400.00 and one rated an 8 go for 7,700.00 so I would say the one you have pictured would be a towards the higher end but it all really just depends on how bad someone wants it in my opinion. I'm not an expert by any means but I hope this helps a little.

Jerry

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
problems or issues seem to always "grow", at least for me, as the globe trades hands....... I think the paint could be better, but you have one good side...... the clincher for me was the hair crack. I think $2200-$2750 area is my opinion. there are some issues..... I look at this piece as a "keeper" for someone. Rarity of a piece can't change the condition. I have tried to separate myself from that(it's been hard over the years), the fact that condition should be graded just as condition without any other factors or variables. These globes aren't that rare, it's hard and rare to find one in great shape. Condition will always reign king!

Last edited by BBQ Chicken; Sat Sep 26 2009 04:56 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: BBQ Chicken
problems or issues seem to always "grow", at least for me, as the globe trades hands....... I think the paint could be better, but you have one good side...... the clincher for me was the hair crack. I think $2200-$2750 area is my opinion. there are some issues..... I look at this piece as a "keeper" for someone. Rarity of a piece can't change the condition. I have tried to separate myself from that(it's been hard over the years), the fact that condition should be graded just as condition without any other factors or variables. These globes aren't that rare, it's hard and rare to find one in great shape. Condition will always reign king!

Well said BBQ, I've been waiting for years for those words to come out like that, you nailed it about rarity vs. condition. whether it be signs, globes, or pumps, you have to consider all factors

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I would say $3500 is a bit high on the globe. It is a harder one to come by yes. But the condition is where the downside is on the one side. That hairline crack will have some people on edge. Will it grow over time when the heat from a bulb is put on it then having it cool. Cool globe though. I have this one on my wish list too smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks Guys, appreciate the help...

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved