Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
philmccauley #153415 Thu Sep 24 2009 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with gulfiend's "taxidermy" analogy. A pump cabinet with the pump, motor, meter, and plumbing removed is a lot like a "mount."

My Wayne 511 came to me with no guts, so I can't do anything about that. But, when I restore my Mobil Drum dispenser, the meter will remain inside. I don't see how there would be any old gasoline involved if I disassemble the meter, clean every part, and reassemble. I like Norm Huff's pumps because they start up and run. They don't smell, either.

I'm just as intrigued by the mechanical and utilitarian aspect of the pump as I am by the styling of the cabinet. And no base/clear paint or fantasy paint schemes for me. To "restore" implies that the item actually WAS like that in the past. A pump cabinet with a fantasy logo or paint scheme is a "customized" pump to me, not a "restored" one. And that's fine - just not my gig.

In short, I don't have a problem at all with what people do with their own pumps or pump cabinets. I choose to keep mine as pumps when possible, not just pump cabinets.

Wes

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
thermactor #153420 Thu Sep 24 2009 07:34 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
gutless--and save on shipping

looking for spanish gas signs
thermactor #153421 Thu Sep 24 2009 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wes,
If there is no liquid being pumped, your only listening to the motor run.

Dick Bennett #153428 Thu Sep 24 2009 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
One reason I like my pumps gutted is I use them to store things in. Only the ones with hinged doors or easy lift off doors.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
MATT ALVAREZ #153430 Thu Sep 24 2009 09:08 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
I'm a gutless turd.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
no guts for me...
Wes...I guess your restorations will be with a paint brush.
to each his own....thats why ice cream comes in different flavors.

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
texaspelican #153432 Thu Sep 24 2009 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Paddy,

No paintbrush required so far... The Wayne 511s came right from the factory with Sunoco paint jobs. So, that one will be single-stage sprayed-on paint with no wet sanding. The Mobil drum pump will be the same - it's just black and stainless. Once I get a clockface to restore in Diamond, I just might use a paintbrush and some thinned-down paint.

Dick,

On Norm's pumps, you hear the motor and the pump pumping (air) as well. I believe he has a gear motor on one of them, hooked to the computer.

Wes

thermactor #153437 Thu Sep 24 2009 10:11 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Gilfiend,

I notice you haven't come back with any further opinions, has any of the above swayed your opinion?

How about a comment.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #153439 Fri Sep 25 2009 12:57 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Gentlemen I will have to put my take in on this subject. Has a machinest for over 50 yrs. and a pump mechanic and machinest in a refinery for almost 30 yrs. most people would not have the skills to bring a pump back up to specifications to make it operate right. Plus they would not have the tools or the money to pay somebody else to do it. You get them clean enough and you can get the smell out of them. Believe me and I've worked on sewer pumps, acid pumps. diesel pumps and gasoline pumps. One problem is if you run them dry sooner or later they will tie up. They have to have liquid in them to operate. One of the reasons that these old pumps were scraped out were because the pumps in them were shot and wouldn't operate right. My vote is take the guts out of them. Paint the shell make them pretty and put them in house. Just like me they have worked 50yrs. its time to retire and let the young bucks take over. Mitch

P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
I leave alot of the motors in if they are free and use the on/off mechanism to run them. That gives it the old pump patina that alot of people like. I agree with Brady, very rare and I may consider leaving them.

Thanks, Phil
philmccauley #153456 Fri Sep 25 2009 05:54 AM
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
This sure got the blood circulating in a few!!! My question is when one goes to sell them does the price go up or down with "the guts" (not that I'm selling one or would ever throw anything away) This is also debated til the cows come home and then some in the old car hobby. Well I come up a way to stay out of it ... it's your car you do what you want, from rat rods to aaca seniors each owner is a car person. They are enjoying / expressing themselves with their cars, good for them! Take care! tt

oldgoaly #153460 Fri Sep 25 2009 06:11 AM
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
I agree with Brady. If it's rare or somehow unique to the pump I'd consider leaving them in. Run of the mill computer pumps? Get that nasty heavy junk out of there. One thing to keep in mind, a lot of these computer pumps that ended up out on farms do not have their original guts in them. They have probably been reconditioned one to several times by jobbers, often with mix and match parts scavenged from a boneyard to make it work. I've gotten a few pumps with some interesting setups inside that were definitely "professionally" jerry-rigged. Some pumps still have their factory original stuff in them but if I was a betting man I'd guess there's a lot of them out there that wouldn't be "original" even if you kept the guts that came with the pump in them.

chrisbowers #153468 Fri Sep 25 2009 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: chrisbowers
I agree with Brady. If it's rare or somehow unique to the pump I'd consider leaving them in. Run of the mill computer pumps? Get that nasty heavy junk out of there. One thing to keep in mind, a lot of these computer pumps that ended up out on farms do not have their original guts in them. They have probably been reconditioned one to several times by jobbers, often with mix and match parts scavenged from a boneyard to make it work. I've gotten a few pumps with some interesting setups inside that were definitely "professionally" jerry-rigged. Some pumps still have their factory original stuff in them but if I was a betting man I'd guess there's a lot of them out there that wouldn't be "original" even if you kept the guts that came with the pump in them.

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
67Chev4X4 #153472 Fri Sep 25 2009 07:37 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: 67Chev4X4
... My vote is take the guts out of them. Paint the shell make them pretty and put them in house. Just like me they have worked 50yrs. its time to retire and let the young bucks take over. Mitch

Well said!

Enjoyed reading all the comments/opinions. I take it most are like me and did/do not care for the extra weight, smell,... so guts are removed. Still wish I saved the innards, if I decided someday to fix it all up and get it back in working order. Not to pump gas, just for your/my viewing pleasure. I've seen a working visible before and thought it'd be nice to someday have Gilmore pumps pumping colored liquid like the gas they sold.

Sell me your Gilmore Oil Co. stuff...
Jack Sim #153476 Fri Sep 25 2009 08:12 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Jack Sim
I notice you haven't come back with any further opinions, has any of the above swayed your opinion?

How about a comment.

Jack Sim

...oh, not at all - just trying to stay off the computer for a whole day... wink

...you'll never convince me that any historian worth his salt would not want an historical artifact to be as original as possible (or, if it had been modified, that it be returned to original appearance/specs)...I collect Gulf oil pumps, and most of them would have come from the factory with a nice GOC spec paint scheme, no brush marks...but what I don't understand is the 'if the pump's rare, I'll leave them in' argument...ALL pumps are getting rarer every day...it's as if there's an asumption being made that, 'well, the pump's common - someone SOMEWHERE has one of these with the guts', so I'm not going to worry about it...

Originally Posted By: Ohio Oil
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!
... the more authentic a restoration, the more historically valuable the pump is, the more it will be worth in the long run..

Honestly, I have no idea how you could prove such an assertion. It's undeniable, MOST people in our hobby prefer the guts to be removed.

...'most people' ain't a reason to do anything...'most people' don't try to make the paint scheme anywhere near authentic...'most people' think the overrestored stuff at Barrett-Jackson is the ideal...

...'most people' think gas pumps are junk...

...my 'proof' is that if 'most people' gut their pumps and paint them in garish paint schemes - either to please 'most people' or they just don't get the whole historical aspect of the hobby - then there will be fewer extant complete pumps...that's just math...

Originally Posted By: Ohio Oil
And...comparing cars to pumps is like comparing apples and oranges. Restored cars for the most part can be used for their original intent. Restored pumps cannot, the EPA has a pretty big problem with folks putting underground storeage tanks on their property, filling them up with gas and using their 'restored pump'

...my comment pertained to restored cars in museums...they aren't run because that was their intended purpose, it's part of their maintenance...

...again - soda fountain collectors as a rule don't use their dispensers...but they want them in working order...

...and why are you guys moving your pumps around so much?...they're not light with the guts out...seems like once it's restored, you plug the thing in, light it up and open a beer...and leave it there...if you have to move them around constantly my advice is to bolt them to a dolly...

...you know - there are reproduction pumps out there, that are really light...they're a lot cheaper and easier to find...they don't even have a computer (since you wouldn't be using it anyway)...and they never had gas in them, so they won't ever smell like gas...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved