Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
V
OP Offline
V
I picked up one of those 5ft US Tire porcelain signs. It has some sort of very hard coating over the entire sign. I don;t know if it is just age, and the porcelain is turning or what... There is good color under this hard coating. It is almost like a very hard clearcoat that has yellowed. You can't see any of the orginal blue of the sign except where I have removed some of this hard shell. Removal was drastic as nothing else I tried worked. A wire brush on drill was able to cut through it and expose blue underneath. I don't want to wire brush this sign for fear of damage, anyone have any other suggestions?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
You can use any paint stripper on porcelain signs without damaging the or harming the them. Just use a plastic puddy knife while removing the stripper so you dont scratch the sign. I would not use a wife brush as this will scratch the sign & decrease the value & looks of the sign. Good luck & keep us updated smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have a 6ft pure sign that had a union 76 glued to it for 30 years I almost gave up on getting the hard black glue off. I used a good toilet bowl cleaner and a plastic putty knife and it came off. Be careful of any cracks in sign and only use cleaner for 5 min and remove until you see how long you can leave it without damage to sign.Porcelain is tough but start on edges of sign. Good luck.

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
V
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
V
paint stripper didn't phase it...I will try the toilet bowl cleaner I guess...aggrivating knowing nice blue porcelain is under this hardened mess

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Try an Industrial Paint stripper, not a Home Depot product.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'VE ACTUALLY USED A TORCH ON SOME REALLY HEAVY TOUGH BUILT UP CRUD ON A SIGN I GOT FROM EBAY A COUPLE YEARS AGO. THE RESULTS WERE AMAZING!

BEFORE: THE SUBSTANCE RESEMBLED BONDO...

DURING: I HEATED THE CRUD, 3/8" THICK IN SOME PLACES AND QUITE CRUSTY. I DID THIS SLOW WITH THE HEAT AT A MEDIUM GLOW...

AFTER: THIS SIDE OF THE SIGN WAS ACTUALLY IN BETTER PRESENTABLE CONDITION WHEN I WAS DONE. I FINISH WIPED THE SURFACE WITH LACQUER THINNER 3X!

I WOULD SUGGEST IF YOU DO ATTEMPT USING A BLOW TORCH, TO TEST TRY IT IN AN AREA FIRST LIKE IN A CORNER OR ALONG AN EDGE.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
db is right....aircraft, industrial grade stripper...auto parts or auto paint store...
and follow the instructions!!!!

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
V
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
V
how about a heat gun, if I don;t have a torch?

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Autozone has Aircraft paint stripper.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...how about a photo of what you're dealing with?

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved