Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
When removing the guts start with what is the easist to get out and that usually is the electric motor and then go from there. You are right about the bolts that are attached to the pipe frame and they are a PAIN to get out but it can be done as I have done it a couple times. There are two nuts on each corner. The first one is pretty easy to get out but the other one is father back and you will need a hand held open ended wrench to get to it and you will have to work by feel until it turns out far enough to see it. You may also have a problem with this bolt hitting the sheet metal when it turns out. Just keep cranking on it as it will come out. I think these bolts were originally put on before the sides went on because there is no way they could have put them in with the side panels on.

Good luck. It will come apart.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
"To my eye, this looks different than the one posted earlier by Joe.'
Yep, your is DIRTY ! LOL Joe restores the Veeder-Roots to better than new condition.
If you don't have a cutting torch, use a Sawzall to cut bolts to remove guts. IF your going to restore this pump, you need to remove all sheet metal anyway.

TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES DURING DISASSEMBLY, YOU WILL NEED THEM LATER FOR RE-ASSEMBLY.
db
371's are a Bit*h to align doors for a nice fit. [jm2c]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It is actualy a "MECHANICAL COMPUTER", it changes a manual action into a readable, calculated display. MECHANICALY
The METER is under the Computer, it drives the computer.
The METER, "meters" the amount of gas and the computer calculates the price by the adjustable gears in the bottom.
IN a Bennett cabinet, the METER is on top of the pumping unit.
So for correct terminology....
the MOTOR turns the pulley on PUMPING UNIT, the pumping unit, supplies the METER w/ gasoline.
The METER "MEASURES" a certain amount to pass while the computer REGISTERS the AMOUNT of flow and CALCULATES the amount of sale. This all fits inside the CABINET
On a Bennett pumping unit, the AIR ELIMINATOR is built into the pumping unit.
The air eliminator makes sure that you don't buy air & gasoline mixed.
This is you free crash course to understanding HOW they worked....copy it if you wish.

The head you have, from the side, should look like the one in the middle.
the only difference I see is that yours has flat wheels, no bell, and a different price, but then I have been rebuilding them for a few (22) years. Oh yeah... yours is more dirty wink

I almost have these guys broken from calling COMPUTERS,...METERS grin grin whistle wink
The old timers called them CLOCKS.....the really old timers...they are all gone now.
The last one I knew died about 15 yrs ago. I knew one ...MR.GREEN...he was in his late 80's when I was just getting started around the early eighties. I can only IMAGINE what that guy had seen in his days.
Good luck and have fun with it...email me if you need me.
Joe

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A cold chisle held by vise grips, and a hammer will get those panel screws off in a hurry !!!!

Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...I'd say unusual - most of the ones I see are 'two ad glass', but the glass is front and back, not on the sides...I've seen a 'no ad glass' version, but this is the first one I've seen with two side ad glasses only...

...of the pumps I've seen, I'm not sure which pumps were 371's and which were 541's...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hi, Restoring your first pump can be challenging to say the least.You have already one of the best decisions of many more to come;you came here to locate reference books and seek advice from people who "been there,done that". I agree with DB on lots of pics.I even make notes to myself on the order in which I took things off when I'm working on a particular pump for the first time;makes reassembly a lot easier if you know the order to work in. If you haven't already subscribed to PCM I recommend it;lots of good ideas to work with if you dicide to do more than just a pump.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks everyone for the great info. I have the books on order and am anxiously awaiting their arrival.

I'll start postings soon with pleas for help on the rebuild!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

This should answer your question as to WHY someone would want their computer rebuilt. I had to totaly dissassemble and replace everthing but the frame.
This was the end results

Back in working condition
Not BETTER THAN NEW...but a lot BETTER THAN IT WAS !!!!!

Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Ok - I hope you guys don't laugh me off the board for this one -

If I use a cutting torch or sawzall, is there any danger from explosion? Obviously, these pumps had gas/oil in them at one time. I assume/hope all the gas has evaporated??

Also- do I need to take the sides off this pump for the restoration? Or do they even come off?

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Of the almost 200 pumps I have gutted (mostly by taking them apart) I only remember one catching fire when we were using a torch. No explosion, just a small fire in the middle of a large yard, and easy to put out. I wouldn't gut the pump in a garage with a torch.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Many of the pumps I have gutted has LOTS of old gas in them. Sometimes the plumbing and hose itself is still full of gas. NO TORCH FOR ME. I will use a sawzall but not on any of the plumbing parts of the pump. Only on the electrical or other parts that did not contain gas. Yes you will need to remove the sides and disassemble the rest of the pump. On Bennett's you will have to remove the top first to remove the sides. Screws/bolts are usually rusted and positioned in hard to get at places. They can be a bit of a pain but a drill with a good bit works for me.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You will not have to disassemble the frame, but all sheet metal needs to be taken off.

Like Jack, I have used a torch [when possible] to gut 100's of pumps & only had 1 small fire. Even that burnt like diesel. Just blow the bolt heads/nuts off, then hit with a sledge & stuff falls out.

When the factory is assembling pumps, sheet metal is the last thing added. Start by taking sheet metal off.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved