Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Hi everyone-

I'm new to this site and excited about the info available. I have been a classic car restorer/collector (primarily Mustangs and TBirds) for years and of course love everything car related. I have salivated over restored gas pumps and finally bought myself one at the Auburn show over Labor Day. I bought an unrestored Bennett 371. Even thought I consider myself mechanically inclined, I don't want to make mistakes with this restoration. I plan on "gutting" the pump and restoring it from there. I have been looking for "how-to" books on restoration and have only found one -

PCM's Guide to Gas Pump Restoration by Wayne Henderson, Scott Benjamin, Jan. 2004

Is this my best bet to get started?

Thanks!!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi,

You already have the two best sources to start your project. The PCM book and this website. Once you gut your pump you are ready to disassemble it and start the bodywork. There are several vendors on here that sell reproduction parts and others that sell original parts. If you have any questions just put a post on this site. Welcome to oldgas and the petro hobby. Great pump by the way. I just bought the same pump a few weeks ago that I am going to restore sometime!!

Keith

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well,
There is no book on the total restoration of computers, that covers everything.....
I haven't finished it yet !!
But there are manuels on how to change the wheels.
http://www.petrolianacollectibles.com/veeder-root.htm
If you need your computer rebuilt just let me know.
The one that is in there should look like this if it is original to the cabinet, although it might be a little more rusty and dirty.

Joe

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
An Illustrated Guide to GAS PUMPS by Jack Sim is also a MUST HAVE if your looking to get MORE pumps. Nice to know what was made an be able to ID in the rough [never leave home w/o it !].

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dooger, you might want to contact Jack Sim here on the forum . he has or had a lot of origional liturature on Bennets at one time . His books on Gasoline pumps have been an excellent resource to me as I build 1-24th scale gasoline pumps and service stations . I would try and put my hands on every gasoline pum pbook out there . Wayne henderson's book was good but I actuall refer to several books on the subject as some have a picture or a detail thats not visable in annother book . Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
Welcome to Oldgas.com Shop Talk

The book, PCM's Guide to Gas Pump Restoration, has an overview of restorations of several styles of gas pumps. It does not have detailed instructions for every pump. I recommend it mostly for its 1100 color pictures of color schemes for different gas brands and gas grades. This book is now out of print. Many sellers no longer have it and those that do will probably sell out in the coming months.

The book, Illustrated Guide to Gas Pumps, is worth its weight in gold to the gas pump enthusiast. It will help identify the make and model of the pump and shows values for each one. This helps you to get the correct parts for the pump you have. It also helps you make a good deal on your next pump when you know the book value.

Click on "Bookstore" on the horizontal menu near the top of this page for more info or to order books.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I have always stressed: KNOWLEDGE

You can't have enough, regardless of what hobby you are in. As the author of the Gas Pump ID book, here are my suggestions:

Since you already own a gas pump I suggest you get the restoration book from Benjamin & Henderson.

If you haven't bought a pump or are looking for a second one, get my Gas Pump Identification book.

Now comes a ton of problems. Assuming you out driving up and down country roads looking for a gas pump and someone offers you a globe or a sign, how much is it worth? For the globe, again have Benjamin & Henderson's globe books with you, as for signs, start paying attention to prices being asked here on Old Gas and start to follow the results of the petro auctions that seem to be held each month. Everything else, read all the posts here on Old Gas, sooner or later something will rub off.

One more thing, you go to a country farm auction and up comes a fire box, a jute box, a slot machine, a old clock, a thermometer, a piece of china marked "R.S. Prussia, and a pin-up by Earl Moran, do you know what they are worth? These are the things that if you buy them right, and sell them right, will finance any hobby you are in. Why walk away from something you can make $500 on, while trying to save $10.00 on an oil can.

I have a garage filled with stuff, and at this time I don't feel I have anything tied up in any of it, it has all been paid for by selling something else that was in the box with it.

If you would really like to look at petro stuff all at one time I would like to invite you to look at my website: www.petrolianacollectibles.com

It is largest website devoted to this hobby and it has over 5000 images on it.

Someone above mentioned, don't leave home without my book, but actually "Don't leave home without as much knowledge as you can asborb."

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to the sight we love pictures around here. The 371 is a good nice pump to have. If i remember the 371 has the pipe frame.
I have a 541 which is pretty close to the same pump. I think the hardest thing about these pumps are the hinges getting them out and putting them back in. good luck

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Wow - great responses - thanks all!!

I will go ahead and order the restoration book and the identification book. I will get some pictures of my pump and post them here. I've already got questions and am sure I will have many more.

I've looked over the "guts" of my machine and am trying to get an idea of where to start with the removal of unneeded parts. Yes, this unit does have the pipe frame. It looks like some of the bolts going into the pipes have the head of the bolt on the side facing out toward the sheet metal side. How do you get at these? Do I have to remove the sides themselves? Seems like that would be difficult.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Jack-

I see where you recently revised this book, it is the second edition? I assume this is the one I should order?

I also saw where you have the price parts list for the Bennett 371. Would this be helpful to have, does it have any illustration which shows a diagram of the parts inside?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Give me a shout if you need any restoration parts.
Ron

Ron Scobie
http://www.gaspump.com or
rscobie(TheAtSymbol)gaspump.com
Phone - Six five one-653-6503
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Ok, here are some pics - hope this works since it's my first time posting pictures.

Question - The Bennett Model 371 I have seen have four ad windows on top, one on each side. Mine only has two. Unusual??

Gas Pump1.jpg Gas Pump2.jpg
That style Bennett can have 2 or 4 or no ad glass panels. That is a good looking pump no matter which version it is. There is even a version that has a sight glass above the face opening. Seems like I see more 4 ad glass models.

Great job on your first picture posting effort. Don't hesitate to post pictures with any questions you may have, or the progress of the restoration.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
The original Gas Pump ID book was published in 2002, the revised issue came out in 2008. The first issue is out of print. See my website for special pricing.

The parts list shows all the parts, no shipping on this if ordered with the book.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Here is another pic of the "computer" as you guys call it. Seems like a strange name for something this old!

To my eye, this looks different than the one posted earlier by Joe.

Pump computer.JPG
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved