Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hey Guys & Gals,

It's time to share the petro relics that we've stumbled across in our recent travels, and check out what other people have found as well.

If you would like to contribute to this feature, simply post the pictures here or email them directly to me and I will post them for you. Be sure to include a story or description with your submissions.

If it's too close to the next installment, please note that I may hold your contribution for posting when the new FATW comes up.
Send 'em in!!

Happy Trails!

Wes

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
One point of interest -- every single picture I'm posting this month was taken with a cell phone camera! What a great thing to have in your pocket. If you've got one, don't forget about it next time you're out driving and see something cool! The quality of these cameras has improved drastically over the last year or two.

So, let's get to it...

While out and about for a weekend drive, Tara and I ran across quite a neat little place in small-town Illinois. Cafe Mobilgas. Has anyone ever heard of it?

The property consists of an old cafe (which is now an antique/junk store), the awesome sign above, and a large old Mobil station that has now been sided over with new metal siding (now a tire shop).

The pump island is still there, and you can tell the building is old by its neat little curved curbs between each bay.

Out front is the pole from a late 50s porcelain Mobil sign. If you look closely, you can see where the v-notch at the top was welded in, and the light-up 1960s sign frame was added.

Oh - hardly worth mentioning, but there's a horse on a stick out front too...

It's a very neat place, and would have been quite a welcome sight to travellers in the pre-interstate days along the National Road from Indianapolis to St. Louis.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
So, let's take a look at some more Illinois stations:

Here's a great Phillips cottage that Norm (cmeon66) showed me while we were driving around one day:

And, here, a nice old porcelain Shell slowly falls apart in a dying town:

This "Sputnik" (satellite ball) sits atop a pole in front of an old gas station. This type of sign is another one of my interests, but this is the first opportunity I've had to post one because it's the only one I've ever found at a gas station:

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
We took a drive on a road I'd never been on before, and happened across this very nice old station. What a gem!

Here's a neglected D-X station. Too bad the roof in front of the office has collapsed. I guess nobody cares about this old girl. Down the street, someone has restored an old station -- I'll post pictures of it in next month's feature.

That's all I've got.
Let's see what you've Found Along The Way!

Wes

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You need to enlarge the Pegusus and frame that one . It actually would make for a nice shot in someones work area or office . Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Blackwell Oklahoma stations.........last picture OKC.

Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart picture cans
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Wes is that Pegusus the one in Casey?

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Ed - will do!

Those are great Diamond and Phillips stations, Scott! They both look very original and unmodified. Too bad that 15" lens is broken! The giant pipe wrench is one for Debra Jane's site. Is it on there yet?

George, yep, it's the one you're thinking of.

Wes

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
LOVE the horsey on a stick, Wes!! Thanks for "mentioning".

Some great old building designs caught on "film" so far this month. The cottages' and and tall roof stations have to be among my favorites.

........Dave
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Old Texaco station, was used as a repair shop but is empty again, I think it is up for demolition, to bad lot of porcelain panels headed for the dump

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
THAT'S A CRYIN' SHAME! frown

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
here you go...

Hi-Speed station in Flat Rock, MI

Fleet Wing in Mt Victory, Ohio

Randy

Last edited by hy-flash 72; Mon Sep 07 2009 04:55 PM.

Always looking for Hy-Flash Gas/Miller Oil, Hi-Speed Gas/ Hickok Oil and Paragon Refining items from Toledo,Ohio.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Heres a pump that I found this spring while doing some work for the owner! I didn't have a chance to photograph it at the time but I got his permission to come back and capture it on film today! Its still in service and not for sale at this time but I got him to promise to contact me when it does come up for sale! I also checked with him to see if there were any strange old brass nozzles that were once attached to it but if there was, its long gone! DARN!! You just never know whats around the next corner!!--KEVIN

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
LOVE THE SQUARE 850!AND STILL IN USE!WOW!THANKS FOR THE POST.HOPE YOU ALL HAD A GREAT LABOR DAY WEEKEND.MARK

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G

Here is a cottage in Clinton Indiana not a real good shot. Wes that horse has been there as long as I have been going down there. There is a nice cottage and some good signs downtown.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved