Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Jarvis #143619 Mon Jun 22 2009 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It is easy to go to a show and see all the high ticket times but there are lots of lower priced entry level signs, globes, cans and even pumps. There are several globes that can be purchased under 250.00, same goes with signs, and 75 bucks or less will buy most cans. You don't have to start with a high $$ item to start your collection. I enjoy my cheaper items as much as some a little higher. I too try to stick to a budget when buying and will pick up items for resale to help defray the cost of items I keep. It is all part of the fun and the fun of the hunt.

Keith

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
keithia #143640 Mon Jun 22 2009 06:30 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Geoff,
You made a good point in saying you wanted to make your 2 hr trip "worth while" that's why you bought a can and a sign. That's what it's all about. They might not be perfect but you like them and have to start somewhere. I was in that same position 14 years ago. I went to a local swap meet in Lawrence, Kansas and bought a $3 Skelly paper quart can. Then I went to my first Iowa Gas that year and that's when I was hooked. I'm just an average Joe and I started slow, made some deals and trades and many, many pumps, signs, and cans later, I now have a nice collection. I've been to every Iowa Gas and Columbia, MO show since then and plan to be at both till the end, NO MATTER WHAT. It's all about the fun. Walking, talking, eating, and drinking and the shows are where it's at. If anyone has never been to Iowa Gas you don't know what your missing and you need to attend this year. Funny thing is I still have that first Skelly can and the 2 pieces I bought at my first Iowa Gas and wouldn't sell or trade them for the world.

-Matt

Last edited by Coops 427; Mon Jun 22 2009 06:43 PM.

-Matt
Jarvis #143651 Mon Jun 22 2009 07:19 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Geoff and other new guys on the block:
If it is entry level pieces you are looking for, come to our show down in Susan Moore, Alabama July 10th and 11th, just a little over two weeks from now. There will be plenty of entry level items as well as items for the advanced collector. We don't have any big rules to follow as well. Just come and bring what you can afford to spend. You'll find something that you just can't live without!!

All you big spenders are more than welcome, too. We had approximately 55 vendors last year and that was up from 42 in 2007. So, come on down and enjoy the show and add a few items to your collections.

If you would like to set-up and sell a few items, we will make space for you as well...Dale

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
I'll throw my two cents in about the eBay theory. While at one point that was maybe true, I don't think it is now. If you search eBay alot for Petro, you'll notice the # of listings (especially for good stuff, pumps etc) has gone down dramatically. The fee structure, Paypal fees and rules etc I know have driven alot of collectors back to collector-to-collector selling or even to the shows. You used to always hear "Well I could get $XXX.XX on ebay for that!" but not as much anymore. Part of it I'm sure is the economy, part of it is probably also more casual collectors being scared off by the fact that all the good "horse trading" usually takes place before the show is even open between the vendors. It's also hard for alot of folks to take 2-3 days off of work for a gas show if they're coming from any kind of distance. That's what I used to have to do when I went to Columbus. I really do prefer the 1 day Saturday shows like the one near me in Frederick.

P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
Chris, I agree with all you said about the ebay crap. I quit putting stuff on because of the ridiculous fees, forced paypal and the nail in the coffin, the feedback.

Thanks, Phil
puregas #151022 Fri Sep 04 2009 07:49 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Maybe if the show was held on the week end instead of the middle of the week so people could go to buy and sell they may have a better turn out. I didn't go this year because some of us still work for a living.
The scheduling of this show was absolutely nuts.

TerryL #151027 Fri Sep 04 2009 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Are Auctioneer Conventions held on weekends or during the week ?
Some towns in the Bible belt have ordinances against events being held on Sunday, unless the whole town supports the event.
Bet the Host[s] enjoy their weekends to rest before returning to work on Monday. Vendors/buyers also need time to return home for work on Monday.

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
For your information Dick, Auctioneer convention is held on the weekend just prior to Martin Luther King Day. Our state convention is held at Columbus, Ohio
Any other questions/

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved