Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#145799 Sun Jul 19 2009 02:55 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
The seeds were sowed last winter when I asked a simple question at a local station. I asked about an Echo Tireflator in passing when collecting info. for a local project.

Flash forward to early this month. I get a call one day out of the blue from one of the station owners in reguards to the air machine I inquired about and it was mine if I was still interested.

A week later. I arrive in the station to put more money down on the machine and in conversation with the brother (co-owner) I am hit with this fast breaking news that the brothers have made a deal with a local car dealer to sell the property after being approached with an offer to sell the property. I'm now being given a whirlwind tour as to all the planned changes to the building and the property. The brother giving the tour will be staying on as a mechanic and the other will be moving on to some other line of work until retirement.

The converstion turns to "things need to go" and I'm being shown things of interest and I offer to purchase these things if they will be unwanted. He tells me he doesn't care but I'll need to check back with his brother in case he plans on keeping some of these things.

Days later. I check back and the other brother is in and says to get these things collected up now because with everything going on, he wants to be sure that I get what I'm interested in. The pumps are already gone, as well as the canopy and the de-branding has already taken place.

I must tell you at this point, my head is spinning and I have mixed feelings with this whole situation. I'm very sad to see this local town icon that has been at this location since the '30's becoming the end of an era. I suddenly feel this urge to get some pics for posterity. On the other hand, I'm being given a priceless opportunity to aquire some things from the source that may be a once in a lifetime chance and a chance to save a piece of town history from being lost forever.

You may remember some of the pics I had up of this station before, but I thought I'd go through some of it again for those that don't.

One of the earliest photos when it was branded and built by Altlantic

If you look carelully on the far left of this picture about halfway up the side of the builing you will note the ladies and men bathroom signs. I note this for a reason.

Last winter images. Grey 2 story in the back was added and was actually the family residence on the second floor at one time.

The air machine can be seen on the side.

Taken just the other day of the once drive through bay that had a lub pit (now filled in) and all the hub caps on the other wall

........Dave

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
lordparaffin #145800 Sun Jul 19 2009 03:06 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
This inside the old drivethrough bay facing the front of the builing. The old Island water can is from the 30's.

This bay was a later addition on the original builing and you're looking toward the drive through bay. The car was a neat bonus that was being worked on.

Current lube bay and the first and original bay.

It's not a great photo but the wall display with all the wrenches hanging from it is soon to be mine. It has Autolight advertising on it.

Minus 2 pieces, this is my "haul" to date.

These are 1930's porcelain and in very good shape.

........Dave
lordparaffin #145802 Sun Jul 19 2009 03:14 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Jack, this is the plate on the back of the Echo. Can you date the machine??

5 Gallon can

There is yet one more piece and that is an old key machine and display with a light and glass shade with a box of old blank keys which have cars like Packard and the like on the keys. When I get that home and cleaned up, I'll post up pics. It's neat and not very common althought they tell me it was common place at one time for stations to have these and to make keys.

Hope you enjoyed my post of this High and low time for a piece of our local history.

........Dave
lordparaffin #145806 Sun Jul 19 2009 03:32 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
very neat, love the the story behind it.

PETRO NUT #145815 Sun Jul 19 2009 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
nice score dave.i like the restroom flange signs!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
oldnfuelish #145820 Sun Jul 19 2009 05:16 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Nice saves, good to know the history on the items. I don't know any history on my junk with the exception of a few pieces.

Barry
bmclemore #145824 Sun Jul 19 2009 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Very neat story! I'm glad you got a chance to save those items. Were you able to look inside the restroom? I don't suppose there was a cool soap dispenser or branded mirror?

Thanks for sharing the pictures and story!

Wes

thermactor #145850 Sun Jul 19 2009 11:12 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks for the neat pictures and the story to go with them. Glad you got to save some of it.Jack

Jack R #145852 Mon Jul 20 2009 12:20 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great story and score !

Scott Baselt #145854 Mon Jul 20 2009 02:37 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Wes, I did look into the bathrooms and they really were quite plain Jane. Someone is buying the old porcelain sinks because they are corner style. The mirrors were not matching and nothing to get excited about.

Glad you guys liked the story.

........Dave
lordparaffin #145890 Mon Jul 20 2009 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dave
Nothing beats cleaning out an old station or an old bulk plant. Always ask if there is an attic, check under all buildings & docks, even if they say there is nothing there.
I found 4 sets of 21" TEXACO porcelain letters & 5 stars, buried in the mud/dirt under a building & 48 SUNSET paper posters in an attic. It was too bad a mouse had made a nest inside the rolled up pisters, ate a hole in every one.
And I was not the 1st to help clean it up.

Dick Bennett #145919 Mon Jul 20 2009 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Pisters huh?? Couldn't resist!! laugh laugh

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
keithia #145924 Mon Jul 20 2009 05:44 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Neat story and Pictures. Great having the history mixed with the find

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Dick, I still have one of the Sunset posters. Think I remember seeing one at your place about 10 years ago & really liked it. Got mine about a year later & STILL really like it. Glad you found 'em!!

Tom Stover #145949 Mon Jul 20 2009 10:25 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tom, Is yours mounted on foam board ?
Very few got mounted as they were soo brittle [dried out] from being in the attic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved