Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#145314 Tue Jul 14 2009 06:19 AM
G
OP Offline
G
I have two old porcelain Gulf signs, aprox. 72 inches, and I think they use to be a double sided sign. I was offered a couple hundred for them, but I personaly want to keep them. So now I am curious about their value. I have a small collection of smaller porcelain signs, but this is the only large one I have. My problem is I have not been able to find a similiar one anywhere in pricing books, or online. Please help me identify and value these signs. THANK YOU!!!

I am having trouble uploading the images, if you give me your email, I will send you pictures of both..

They are circular, approx. 72", orange, with blue gulf lettering (of course), the shadowing of the letters is white and blue stripes. I have attached a link below to a gulf sign, that is exactly like it minus the "dealer" on the bottom. Please let me know what you think. Thank you.

[img]http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.iowagas.com/images/2006/IMAGES/DSCN1758.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.iowagas.com/auct_06.html&usg=__YxJxnySfer1HtLtxlPlFtCGiA9I=&h=499&w=500&sz=59&hl=en&start=7&um=1&tbnid=Jbi0F_cHeywchM:&tbnh=130&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dgulf%2Bdealer%2Bsign%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Dactive%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1[/img]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you would like to email me the Pictures to hotwheelgod@yahoo.com I can post them for you.

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...are the signs single-sided or double sided?...is there a blue/white/blue stripe around the edge?...if the signs look exactly like the photo as you describe, and are double-sided w/out 'DEALER', they turn up fairly often, they're a little harder to find w/out 'DEALER'...but condition is VERY important...there are a lot of these signs, but they typically show the damage present in your photo...finding one that's free of significant chipping makes the sign much more valuable...one like your photo might bring $250, one w/out any chips will bring $500-750 or more...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
G
OP Offline
G
The signs are single sided, but there are two identical signs, and seem to have been held together by rivets. Yes there is a blue/white/blue stripe around the edge. Thanks for the help.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...single-sided would be harder to find, but typically would not bring as much as a double-sided, in my opinion...again, condition is everything...take a photo of YOUR sign, and send it to me or Jason and we can post it here for everyone to see...photos of your sign will make it easier for others to give you a more accurate estimate of value...there is an older version of this sign that might have a little more value, but I'd need to see a photo of it to tell...the older sign would have been used originally on either side of a 'can' sign...maybe they riveted them back-to-back at a later date?...

Last edited by gulfiend!; Tue Jul 14 2009 08:02 AM.

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here are his signs........

And By the Way Welcome to Oldgas!!!!!!!

G
OP Offline
G
Thanks a lot for posting them. I appreciate the help, and information.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Gulf rep
Thanks a lot for posting them. I appreciate the help, and information.

That is what this site is all about and you will find that alot of people on here are willing to help you out in anyway they can. Sorry but I don't know much about these signs but there are plenty of guys here that will be able to help with just about all questions that are petro related.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...looks like maybe the orange porcelain finish near the bottom has degraded?...or is it oversprayed with something?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
MINE IS LIKE THE FIRST ONE POSTED AND IS 66" NOT 72"

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved