Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#143374 Fri Jun 19 2009 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
The vendors had to be half of what is usually there and foot traffic was considerably lower also. Not sure if it's an economy thing or what. Weather didn't help but the vendors that I talked with said the vendors were a no show before the weather went bad. Did see a lot of nice stuff in the auction though.

Ohio Oil #143391 Sat Jun 20 2009 05:53 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I heard the same story. I used to go to that show all the time but never did well selling or buying so I quit. Going to try and make Iowa this year for the first time in a while.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have been going to shows for the last 7 or 8 years. I hear the same thing every year the show is not as big or traffic is down. Some say gas is to high or economy is bad but i have my own opinion. I think ebay is the number one culpret. Everyone sells there "good stuff" on ebay and bring the ok stuff to shows. Not everyone but a lot. I heard some guys talking once they can sell better at home on ebay, i know one collector that quit going to shows because he can buy and sell more at home.

I really think guys need to go out and promote these shows as it's more than just buying a can or pump or globe... it's the great people you meet and go have dinner with. It's the friends you find that have the same intrest you have... you can get that with ebay. When Guys stop promoting the shows and it will be a sad day for me.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Jarvis #143404 Sat Jun 20 2009 08:22 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Vendor count was way down. I brought some good items and had a great show selling, trading, and buying. I talked to a several others who said they were very pleased with sales and a few who weren't. I think it is a sign of the times. Those that came to buy, bought. They just had less to choose from. See you in Iowa!

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
I agree with you Greg,,, I bought some real nice stuff, about $6700 worth.., 1/3 of that with you , ha,ha,ha,, I always have a great time there,, rooms are cheap ( which include breakfast, booze tickets,, nice bar service,,) nice way to end the day. The show is definately down,, my only hope is that it's not fading out? I was talking with a couple of guys that have been going to Iowa for years and it's nowwhere near as big as it used to be either.. I agree that Ebay has definately had a lot to do with the shows being down, but I don't see anything real nice on there for sale either. The good stuff is still going to the shows..common stuff is on Ebay. But thats the way it is,,nothing stays the same, I just enjoy what is there.

Wes.......
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well said, Mass Gas has also seen a declining Vendor and spectator attendance each year, But the spectators that do attend are BUYING and the Vendors all say they have done very well each year. Less Vendors means easier shopping sometimes. The economy may effect some But overall collectors are still spending for their collections

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
KZ1000 #143481 Sun Jun 21 2009 06:32 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi I had a VERY GOOD show- both selling and buying-we all remember how things were- but we have to go with what it is today- ebay - craigs list- etc are all part of what it is-
Columbus is still one of the largest ans best shows we have- SUPPORT IT--still worth the 1100 mile round trip My 2 cents-

[b] Wanted 5 quart cans -old speed equipment -1950-60s- Cad- Olds std shift parts - site at www.oilnspeed.com
5 quart #143504 Sun Jun 21 2009 12:37 PM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Well I am going to throw my 2 cents in. Never been there, but been to Iowa twice. Its a long haul from Portland Oregon. The shows here are also down alot with vendors and sales, but here are a couple of other reasons.
The age group in also another factor, with less of the generation still looking for stuff with the money that is extra. 2nd the time that is spent with the younger people with computers and just hanging out with their friends. Ever notice that the baseball parks and other places that were used alot when we were younger are just sitting there! Alot of things now can be done from home without leaving from TV, Games, and of course computers. 3rd there is just less for the new entries that are found, and I know its still everywhere. The prices for new people who want the same as alot of the big collectors is just tough to handle now, not like the 100.00 pumps and 250.00 globes and signs that were.
The people are still the ones we like to see, but I don't get to see that many anymore, for we are at the age were health issues and family are now a priority. Still love seeing the pictures of the East side of the USA though, and am still trying to find a way to get the East side shows with the stuff I need to take back.
Happy fathers day to all.

Craig
Ohio Oil #143546 Sun Jun 21 2009 07:00 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This was my 15th year......... Vendor count was down, but We had a good show. I bought a dozen nice signs and sold several. I usually spend more than I take in. 2200 miles round trip! Will probably go as long as I'm able.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I hadn't been to Columbus for three years. I decided a week ago last Friday to go. I was still able to get an inside vendor space. That wouldn't have happened four or five years ago. I was disappointed to see the whole back parking lot empty. There's no question that there are many factors at work here that affect the
lower vendor and buyer turnouts at all the shows now.
I can remember ten to fifteen years ago when I went to Columbus that I would buy as many things to resell as I would to take home and sell half of it before I left the show. Those days are gone for good simply because the things are not making it to the shows like they use to.
That having been said, I still had a great show! I sold well and bought several items. No I didn't come home with several rare pieces but there were still some nice quality items there.
I feel like anymore, you just have to be willing and able to step up to the plate and pay the bucks for good pieces.
We've all seen the trend of mid-range pieces not selling or bringing much lower prices. I pulled about fifteen nice one quart cans out of my collection,$40-$150 range. Don Raleigh made the comment to me Friday that four or five years ago, every can would have sold within the first few hours.
One of the main reasons why I go to the shows is to see old acquaintances. I've been collecting now for twenty one years and went to Iowa Gas for my first show in 1991. I've come to know many people and am still meeting new people. I've had good and bad experiences with people at the shows just as we do in everyday life.
I think our hobby is still going strong but I still believe that the lack of younger people getting into the hobby will ultimately effect the value of our collections. Buy it because you like it and if it goes up in value, then that's an added benefit of our hobby. As long as I have been collecting, there have always been the rare pieces that I just couldn't afford, but I think it is worse now as there are so many more people collecting and the availability of good items is much lower now.
I will still make every effort to make it back to Columbus again next year. Pat.

Looking for early Pure Oil Company items(Energee,Detonox,Puritan)as well as any Woco Pep items.

Looking for graphic quart cans for my collection.
5 quart #143583 Mon Jun 22 2009 01:10 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Will ad my 2 cents - bought some nice items, saw lots more I would love to have been able to buy, sold a lot of stuff. This has always been a good show for us and this year was no exception. Enjoyed seeing old friends, meeting new ones and connecting names with faces. Well worth the 8 hour drive each way.

G
G
Good points Craig...

I'll have to agree with you. I'm of the younger generation (just turned 30 this year) and attended my first columbus show - or any show for that matter - last weekend. I really enjoyed seeing all of the incredible collections of gas station stuff, and talking to and meeting new people. However, I left the show with a dis-hearting feeling...probably because I have no chance of affording much at the show...maybe just a reality check for me. I can't justify spending close to my house payment on a sign to hang in the garage. Maybe it's just a bad time in my life to start this hobby (packing $$ away for retirement, buying new house, getting ready to start family, etc). Guess you can love Ferraris, but isn't much fun if you can't have one in the garage. smile

I picked up a couple of cheap rusty cans and a rusty beat up Veedol sign (I kinda like 'em that way). Probably paid more for those items than I'd like, but wanted to make the 2 hr trip "worth while".

I should stick to being patient and checking out CL, Ebay, and flee markets for some better prices on these items. As much as I enjoyed the time spent down there, I'm not sure that I'll go again. Or if I do decide to go, it will be mainly as a "spectator".

Hope no one gets affended by this, for I really enjoy this website and picking the minds of those more experienced collectors. I just thought Craig is probably on to something with the new generation gas enthusiasts.

Thanks for reading.

Geoff #143614 Mon Jun 22 2009 01:18 PM
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Originally Posted By: Geoff
Good points Craig...

I'll have to agree with you. I'm of the younger generation (just turned 30 this year) and attended my first columbus show - or any show for that matter - last weekend. I really enjoyed seeing all of the incredible collections of gas station stuff, and talking to and meeting new people. However, I left the show with a dis-hearting feeling...probably because I have no chance of affording much at the show...maybe just a reality check for me. I can't justify spending close to my house payment on a sign to hang in the garage. Maybe it's just a bad time in my life to start this hobby (packing $$ away for retirement, buying new house, getting ready to start family, etc). Guess you can love Ferraris, but isn't much fun if you can't have one in the garage. smile

I picked up a couple of cheap rusty cans and a rusty beat up Veedol sign (I kinda like 'em that way). Probably paid more for those items than I'd like, but wanted to make the 2 hr trip "worth while".

I should stick to being patient and checking out CL, Ebay, and flee markets for some better prices on these items. As much as I enjoyed the time spent down there, I'm not sure that I'll go again. Or if I do decide to go, it will be mainly as a "spectator".

Hope no one gets affended by this, for I really enjoy this website and picking the minds of those more experienced collectors. I just thought Craig is probably on to something with the new generation gas enthusiasts.

Thanks for reading.

Geoff,

You are the very person that the national (Columbus and Iowa) and regional shows NEED. Lack of entry level collectors are what is sorely missing from all shows. My complaint from the shows is from an advanced viewpoint. I don't find much to buy in my collecting interest that isn't a duplicate or I find appealing. I don't sell many items because most of what I can find to sell the advanced colletor/dealer doesn't want....unless it is wholesale priced.

In my estimation, the shows have grown stagnant becuase there is no entry level collectors attending/buying. A few quality items often sell and the rest of what sells just seems to rotate through other colletor/dealer's hands.

Collect small Oklahoma Oil Co.'s 1920's-1940's. Barnsdall, Cushing, Eason, Marland, etc.

okoil1 #143615 Mon Jun 22 2009 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
All you guys need to come out to Mancino's show in Bouckville NY. Seems to get better every year and you can't beat the hospitality!!!!

Always looking for Ithaca Gun and Lucky Sam soda items!!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Geoff,
One thing to rememeber is rome wasn't built in a day. Saying you'll bever spend that much for a sign... you could very easly eat those words one day. LOL

I said those words and i am still eating them today. Keep in mind that you can always find some pump or sign or can out in the "wild" for a reasonable price and resell it for a profit to buy a sign. example would be i bought a pump with Texaco signs for $150... sold the signs for $125. Now i have $25 in the pump so if i sold the pump for $275 and then bought a globe i wanted for $500 i really only have $250 out of pocket for the globe. Works for signs and so on you get the pic. Shows for me are about meeting people and buying something for the collection.

I to am 38 years old and i found collecting on a budget works. I put so much back per week to spend. When i get a little nest ego saved then i buy something. My wifes never says anything to me anymore about what i buy or what something costs since we started a budget. Always rememeber not everything we buy will be a "deal" or a "bargin" as you just have to pay it and move on. I like to think that the deals and paying to much balances out.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved