Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#142535 Tue Jun 09 2009 02:45 AM
gmstuff Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Hi Guys,
I found this sign on EBay last night (Item # 31047386040) and just wanted to be sure everyone is aware of it. I’m about 99.9% sure this sign is a fake, and it appears as if someone has added the AC stamp to the box. This goes to show you how creative some people are when their trying to deceive. The sign can appears to be original and NOS, but I would not trust the glass face. The Style of lettering on this sign appears to be the same as all the rest of the fake light up signs that have been on the market lately. The seller has a few items listed and being sold as original that are suspect. Someone is going to great lengths to deceive an un suspecting buyer, just wanted to be sure it was not someone here.

Keith

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Keith, can't find that number,maybe it was pulled? Do you know the guys handle on ebay? John

Please visit my website Gasstuff.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think this is the sign gm stuff is referring to: 310147386040
Personally, looks like the real deal to me.

gmstuff Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks Ohio Oil, that is the sign that I was talking about, looks like I fat fingered the item number. You guys can make your own judgement but I wouldn’t touch it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
gm: I guess the way I see it is the guy has 4000+ positive transactions and a ten year track record on ebay with absolutely no problems. He says he got it in a warehouse and I have no reason to not believe him based on his feedback. Looking at his other items he's already sold you can see he's selling a lot of top end stuff. Plus....as the buyer you have a guarantee using paypal. I guess for me I'm a little slow to pull the trigger and call somebody out that has a proven track record unless I am absolutely sure. JMHO.

gmstuff Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Ohio Oil, With all due respect to your investigation of the seller, he is not the one my post was directed against. I based my comments strictly on the item in question, not the seller’s feedback or items he has sold in the past. It is entirely possible that he believes the items he's selling are real, and I am not trying to slander him for that. I am merely trying to point out that SOMEONE has represented this sign to be original and it is NOT! There have been a rash of reproduction light up signs of this style that has showed up recently, and this appears to be another. I am simply trying to help an un suspecting buyer.

Thanks, Keith

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm with Keith on this one. IMO he has several items for sale that are suspect. There is another seller on ebay who sells fantasy license toppers and signs every week , and it amazes me that he receives positive feedback from almost all the buyers. IMO , just because you receive positive feedback does not me that the item is original.

Last edited by pumpingethyl; Tue Jun 09 2009 06:42 PM.

Dennis Leith / Always looking for unusual Gilmore Oil Company items and Automobilia Displays
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Guys, really not trying to get into a debate, I respect both of you as fellow members.

This reputable seller says he got it in a warehouse (not ebay, or a swap meet, or any other such venue) with other original signs in their original box. Okay, you're calling him a liar, publicly. Other than a few it 'appears' I've seen no compelling evidence to assert 99.9% it's a fake.

Educating fellow members and con artist sellers is an important feature on oldgas and I sincerely appreciate it. Most of us sell on ebay here, we know it takes hard work to establish a proven track record over time. But...it takes only a few thoughtless posts on an internet forum to tarnish it.

I'm not saying it's real or fake, my point is if I wanted the sign I've got enough confidence in this guy's track record and the fact I'm using paypal that I can get out of it if it's not as he's described it.

gm: I'm confident you would know more about the authenticity of this sign than me. Some pics of a known genuine to compare to might make more of a compelling case.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
gmstuff....i appreciate your pointing this out as i would have never guessed it was bogus & i have bought & sold 100's of light ups..you have a good eye..it just go to show that a person never stops learning.......i know this seller personaly as he use to come to the Chicago coin-op all the time years ago & even use to sell there about 15 years ago...he was mostly into Coca Cola however liked clocks & light ups...i have heard stories however i never bought anything from him...i have also watched him on ebay for years selling many questionable items....

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Anyone post an original to compair. I looked at the auction and thought it look real. So you think the faces are repop only?

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
gmstuff Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Yes Jarvis, The face is fake, the rest of the sign is original. It is a fantasy piece so there are no photos of an original. This style sign was used to advertise everything from appliances to body repair. It is not uncommon to find just the boddies without an ad glass. Check out the upcomming Columbus auction there is another sign of this style, and I would caution against it as well.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
So basically you're saying unless you have a known original to compare it to don't buy any of these signs regardless of what they're advertising?

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
If it is a fake, they did a good job on the box. It looks old.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
gmstuff Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
No, Thats not at all what i'm saying. I'm not interested in making this into an argument, so if anyone has anything productive to add to this post please feel free.

Thanks'

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I suppose they "found" the Sunbeam bread signs also, LOTS of 'em been selling on feebay lately. Buyer beware.......................

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved