Print Thread
#139171 Tue Apr 28 2009 07:36 PM
P
pasngas Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
P
i don't collect a lot of signs due to so many repo's but can someone please explain to a beginner, what heavy shelving means or looks like on a real compared to repo sign,as I hear this on this site alot? Does shelving only show on porcelain or is it on tin also? thanks fellow gassers laroy

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
pasngas #139174 Tue Apr 28 2009 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Shelving is the change (step) in height of the surface of the porcelain as you move across the sign. It is seen at the boundary between two colors, because the porcelain ("frit") is applied in layers, one color at a time. So, for instance, on a porcelain oil well lease sign, the black letters are applied on top of the white background, so the surface steps up as you move from the white area to the black letter.

As a general rule, the older porcelain signs have heavier shelving than newer ones. The height of the shelving decreased in the 40s and 50s, and by the 60s, most porcelain signs had very little noticeable shelving.

Painted tin signs, while the colors are also applied in layers, generally have very thin paint or ink, and display little or no shelving.

Beware, though, as there are fake porcelain signs with intentionally heavy shelving -- especially those from South America.

Wes

pasngas #139175 Tue Apr 28 2009 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Only porcelain has heavy shelving, tin signs are painted. When I think of heavy shelving I think of almost a 1/16th of an inch lip when moving from one color to the next. Newer signs have thin shelving. Most pump plates that are recent have thin shelving so its not a 100% rule however those same pump plates if they were repo's would be even thinner. I am not sure if that makes sense...

Scott Wright
P
pasngas Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
P
Wes,Scott I appreciate quick response and explanation's, and at least have an idea what to look for or at, and will be aware of the repo's. I've studied the pictures of these signs when someone post's them here, which has been helpful, especially the back side. I went out an looked at my texaco signs (whick i know are real, bought from respectable old gasser's on this site), to get a feel of the layers so this helps bunch, thanks laroy

pasngas #139205 Wed Apr 29 2009 06:32 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Some tin signs also have "Bumps" on them, they are embossed. A lot of the time, it is the letters or the logo that is pressed into the tin so there will be a indent on the back and an "outdent" on the front.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved