Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
For those of you that didn't know, John Simmons of Center, Mo passed away within this last month. He was a collector of many things, but mostly gas memorbilia, automotive items, and friends. The man seriously knew no strangers. His family will be having an auction of his collection. The sale will be held at Sullivan Auctioneers in Hamilton, Illinois. The sale will be massive as it will take up three days with dual rings running. June 10, 11, and 12 are the days it will run. This is a very good auction house, as it is only 5 miles from my home. They are a no nonsense auction house. Check them out in the up coming weeks for a complete sale bill.

www.sullivanauctioneers.com

Preliminary Pictures at http://www.sullivanauctioneers.com/06.10.09.Simmons/photo.html

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
They are a good auction company. When Chad says no nonsense thats what he means. They give there instructions loud & clear before the auctions start. They are a little over a hour from me to drive. Should be a good one smile

PS If I go I can help anyone out if you need something hauled or stored for a while. I could meet up with you at a show or something smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Chad and I can also store things if needed.

Last edited by oilmanpat; Mon Apr 13 2009 03:35 PM.
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
I will be there, i will see you guys there. Sound's like no auctions for me until then so i can save.

SEEu guys then Ryan Miller

WTB - Any thing from ILLINOIS FARM SUPPLY COMPANY
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
Thanks for the information, I have already marked the calander. I have been to several of Sullivans auctions, and so far they have not had a buyers premium.Excellent people.
Sorry about John. I will see you all in June, Norm Huff.

Norm Huff
I
I
Wow, this gas n oil man will be sadly missed by Jeff & I. As we had many good talks & laughs with John & his wife. I hope it's a beautiful warm day & the auction goes very well for his wife & family.

C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Tons of pictures up at the auction house web site now. If you have never been to John's place before, I'm sorry as it was quite a site. I am friends with the youngest at Sullivan's, and this is thier 3 day of moving stuff and he said there will be atleast three more. This will be set up with a purpose, as they will not be selling $1.00 cans in between $1000.00 signs.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sure wish I could do this & IG, just not in the budget this year.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I wish this was not in the middle of the week or I would have gone. Hard to take 3 days off work. You would think they would have it on a weekend to draw more of a croud.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Totally forgot about it...

Scott Wright
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
Prices seemed fair. I wonder what happened to all the parts pumps, parts and extra stuff? Anybody here attend?

Thanks, Phil
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
I attended all three days. Prices seemed fair in alot of stuff, but there were tons of signs that went for far more than what they should have. Globes all sold cheap I thought. Cans are usually my end of the auction but they went fairly high as well. Nothing super as far as cans went, but a couple oddballs. All of the parts pump and such was not on the net and all went modestly. If I had the ambition I should have bought about 30 pumps that went for less than $25.00 each and parted them out. None of them were good by any means, but well worth the money if you had the time and place to store them. I did buy 3 gas pumps the first day and feel that I a good deal. The crowd was sparce at best, but I would bet they still had 400 people registered each day. I think they said that they had over 700 internet bidders registered, and alot of stuff went to the net. I am finding out that there are a lot of new collectors out there and that was driving the price up a bit. I don't really think someof them knew exactly what they were buying. But if that is what you like, you have a tendency to pay for it. Overall I think it was a great sale and I did meet a few gas guys over the 3 days.

Last edited by chadrock00; Fri Jun 12 2009 04:42 PM.
I wish I could have attended in person, but I had to work. I did pre-bid some items and got the Simoniz clock. Hope it cleans up nice. I wanted the rusty Zephyr sign, but didn't bid enough. Oh well. Glad I got a chance to bid online since I couldn't be there.

Here are the results links:
http://www.proxibid.com/asp/catalog.asp?aid=20647
http://www.proxibid.com/asp/catalog.asp?aid=20708

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I agree with Chad on the prices. I was planning on going but work & a tractor repair had other plans for me frown

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
I went to the sale the first two days, and stayed long enough to buy four globes, a couple of signs, and lots of misc. items. Chad is right about the signs going a bit high.Also clocks went pretty well, maybe that is the the hot area right now.There was an unblieveable amount of small stuff. I went there looking for some of the external gallon indicators for a Fry 71, and found a box with 21 of them in it. After the sale was over on Wed.I went to the VFW hall in Hamilton, and had chicken and beer with a bunch of local gas guys, had a great time. You just can't beat a petro. collector.Norm.

Norm Huff
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved