Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi Everyone!

It has been a long, cold, crappy, busy, winter here in Michigan! We apoligize for the the break in the action with Globe of the Month, but we are back on track and ready to go! This Month we are going to look at plastic body globes, more commonly called Capco body globes since virtually all of them were made by the Cinncinatti Advertising Products Company.

Plastic bodies were patented back in 1932 but were only used by a few companies in the 1930s. By the 1950s virtually all companies that used globes had switched to the Capco body style with many of these companies using them into the 1960s and even into the early 1970s.

There were a number of different color Capco bodies used but probably 95% of them were white. Pictured here is an experimental Mobil dual grade pump globe on an original white Capco body.

I know that there are hundreds if not thousands of diferent Capco body globes in Oldgas members collections. Lets see 'em!!!

Lonnie & Aaron Hop

IMG_5168.JPG

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
1 member likes this: Mamakat
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here a couple of nice complete ones on original colored bodies. Martin is new old stock.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Learn a new thing every day...I would never have thought that they (plastic bodies) were in use so long.

CHEERS, FROM RIK IN NEW ZEALAND
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Notice in the pic globe body on the right is the early style. Many people think plastic bodies are the later globes or even repop. I have had many people say... oh that's plastic so it's a repop.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
HERE ARE A FEW CAPCO BODY GLOBES FROM MY GLOBE SHELF.

MVC-004S.JPG MVC-005S.JPG MVC-006S.JPG MVC-008S.JPG
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
A FEW MORE

MVC-009S.JPG MVC-010S.JPG
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
VERY small company from south Mississippi. I'm guessing 50's since I never saw one until a few months ago when I aquired this one. Only one other known to exist, but you know how that goes. smile

By daverichey

By daverichey

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
here is my favorite capco its a super a that was a new discovery last year. i have never seen another one like it

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks to everyone who has shown their globes, lets see some more!

Here are a couple Johnson capco globes, the Winged 70 version is very uncommon. Note that these globes are on early "off white" colored bodies.

Lonnie & Aaron Hop

IMG_0246_12_1.jpg IMG_0271_28_1.jpg
Last edited by olddutchgas; Sun Feb 22 2009 10:26 AM.

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
here is my Frontier

frontier globe 2.jpg

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here are a couple of Bay globes I used to have.

bay and bay bronze.JPG

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Husky Globe

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
One of my favorites

husky globe.jpg
Husky Globe

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi Guys;

Great photos! I know there are lots of Capco body globes out there in your collections. Why not take a few minutes and share them with the rest of the Oldgas community!

I received a question from one of our Oldgas members about the two different Conoco triangle globes that have been pictured. If you look at the one Jarvis posted you will see that the red triangle has a green outline and the lense also has the words "Reg. U.S. Pat. Off." and "Manufactured in U.S.A.". This was Conoco's first Capco globe and dates back to the early 30s and the beginning of the Capco body. Conoco used this logo until 1950 and then switched to the red triangle logo with out the words or the green outline on the lense like the one Mark Smith shared with us. Conoco used this image throughout the 50s and 60s.

A side note on the Conoco globes, you will see that each of them are on a original green Capco body. Conoco used the "medium" green body as well as the "blueish/green" body on their early Capco globes. The later red triangle version turns up with either red or the blueish/green bodies.

The Show & Auction in Peotone, Illinois is this weekend. Next week we will look at the different color Capco bodies that were used. In the meantime - Post them if you have them!

Thanks!

Lonnie & Aaron Hop

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here are a few more I've had over the years.

marathon globes.JPG misc globes for sale #1.JPG MVC-054F.JPG

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved