Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Seth Robbins #130624 Sat Feb 07 2009 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Seth--I've been around for a lot of years and consequently I've spent a "LOT" of time at auctions--just not gas & oil auctions. I like the fact that you're trying to improve the crowd count because its a whole different atmosphere with a big crowd of people. Just imagine 10 people in the audience and 2000 on the net. I think it would really be a strange thing and probably a big wreck! Hopefully you can come up with a way to make it work.
Many years ago, a big car auction company up here would start pitching silver dollars to every live bid, after the reserve was off! A lot of buyers would often risk an extra bid over their stop mark, just to try for that silver dollar! Not sure how you could incorporate it but its an idea and its one more than you had before!
Glad you're looking for ideas and not sitting idle because it means you care about the quality of the event itself. Hope I can make it!----KEVIN smile

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
K W FRITH #130635 Sat Feb 07 2009 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Seth, you've really only got a couple options when looking at trying to get higher onsite attendance via buyers premiums. Offer a discount to all attendees paying cash OR increase the buyer premium for internet customers.
The travel expense, lodging, and food is a pretty tough hill to climb in this economy.

Ohio Oil #130654 Sat Feb 07 2009 08:00 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
How about a reverse buyer's premium....you spend $1000, you get $100 back?? (I kid, I kid....)

junknjohn #130683 Sun Feb 08 2009 06:14 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
My thoughts....NO DISCOUNTS. Seth's auction premium charges are in line with, or less, than other auctions. Too much work goes into an auction and believe Seth when he says "every bidder/buyer is important". If the quality items, whether low or high end, are there, they will get bids. Discounts to the "deep pockets" will alienate the ones that may not have the expendable income, so NO DISCOUNTS is fair to everyone. Plus it keeps Seth from working for minimum wage.

Seth, you want more bidders to show up? Have BBQ sandwiches and ribs available. LOL

Gary Drye #130692 Sun Feb 08 2009 08:02 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By: Gary Drye
My thoughts....NO DISCOUNTS. Seth's auction premium charges are in line with, or less, than other auctions. Too much work goes into an auction and believe Seth when he says "every bidder/buyer is important". If the quality items, whether low or high end, are there, they will get bids. Discounts to the "deep pockets" will alienate the ones that may not have the expendable income, so NO DISCOUNTS is fair to everyone. Plus it keeps Seth from working for minimum wage.

Seth, you want more bidders to show up? Have BBQ sandwiches and ribs available. LOL

All kidding & debating aside....other than than the BP question, what other things might make you physically attend any given sale that is available online?? This is the biggest reason I decided to allow paid swap-vending this year, I think that it will increase physical attendance.

As far as travel, fuel will be cheaper this year (even though it's inching upward) than it has been in a long-time....also, the refuel here is pretty cheap ($1.60 right now). Also, our local hotels are like $79, which although not a steal, not terribly expensive either. We are near the intersection of I-40 & I-35, so that helps.

As far as food, for the first time, my wife & kids (since they are getting a little older) are going to do the concessions. Without getting TOO elaborate, what does everyone think is the best auction grub?? I always like a big 'ol slice of pepperoni pizza and a cold Dr. Pepper. Also, would it be a desireable feature if we had some teenage "wait-staff" that would bring you your food, so you don't miss something while standing in line? Just a thought...

I want to make this a great "event weekend" rather than just a good auction....and if you know me at all, food-service IS A BIG DEAL!

junknjohn #130697 Sun Feb 08 2009 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
How about 25 year old girls in bikinis to hold the items or help with loading the truck? I might come then even if i don't have any money to buy something. LOL Good looking girls always works for me... why do you think i own a boat? LOL

Kidding aside... free beer! Barrett-Jackson gets them drunk! LOL

I am trying here!

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Jarvis #130721 Sun Feb 08 2009 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
In a cold economy WARM BEER & spike the sodas for non drinkers ie: Ray !

Dick Bennett #130722 Sun Feb 08 2009 10:45 AM
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
It's amazing how, by Seth trying to offer an incentive, that some people take offense it. It's so typical of this site. This is supposed to be fun but it seems anytime there is a question like this so many of you start acting like little kids. No one is trying to take anything away from you new guys or low end buyers. One thing about Seth's auction, there have always been lots of real bargans for people who just want to buy to have inventory to take to shows and sales where they HOPE to make a small profit. Seth's auction is the most low key, kick back sale you will ever attend. People are there to have fun. You are right, a 2% savings on a large sale is not going to make a difference. Seth, I strongly suggest you drop the idea of being a good guy and just get on with the auction. Your prices are fair just as they are. Lighten up guys and as all this bickering is what is going to hurt our hobby. Congratulations to you guys that come to these forumn pages with good ideas and thoughts and not a "poor me" attitude

hotcidr #130723 Sun Feb 08 2009 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I never had any problem with the ideas being discussed. The only thing I took offense to was the comment immediately preceding my previous post.

thermactor #130737 Sun Feb 08 2009 11:38 AM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Ray, I'll speak up because I have some. The person/people that are acting like little kids is you and Minuteman. You guys thinking your better than the rest of us.

I've never heard anything on this site in 5 years of reading and posting more assinine than your comments about "REAL COLLECTOR" and Minuteman's comment of "REAL SPENDER."

You guys owe everyone on here an apology with for your half cent comments.

Doug (blackT)

Collector of Texaco/Havoline all the way from a $2.00 can to globes you've never even seen !!!

Last edited by Ryan Underthun; Sat Mar 14 2009 06:55 AM.
thermactor #130738 Sun Feb 08 2009 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ray is a Great guy, but the use of REAL COLLECTORS was not a great choice of words.
Anyone that bids is a REAL buyer. As with all buyers, you get caught up in bidding that you ask yourself later why you bought THAT item ! Ray has bought Many items, then when he gets home decides it don't fit where he thought it would or the condition is not good enough for his wall.
Ray likes to buy & sell, some items will be in his collection for a short time, then it's for sale.
Myself & others have gotten some GREAT DEALS from Ray [no shipping, no traveling, no FEES !].
db

blacktee #130739 Sun Feb 08 2009 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: blackteetexacogold
Ray, I'll speak up because I have some. The person/people that are acting like little kids is you and Minuteman. You guys thinking your better than the rest of us.

I've never heard anything on this site in 5 years of reading and posting more assinine than your comments about "REAL COLLECTOR" and Minuteman's comment of "REAL SPENDER."

You guys owe everyone on here an apology with for your half cent comments.

Doug Doneth (blackT)

Collector of Texaco/Havoline all the way from a $2.00 can to globes you've never even seen !!!

Bingo. We have a winner!!!!!

Last edited by Lastgas15; Sun Feb 08 2009 12:03 PM.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Lastgas15 #130757 Sun Feb 08 2009 02:09 PM
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
OK, I owe you guys an apology. I've gone back over my posts and have re-read my comments. By "Real Buyers" I meant to say "Big Buyers" I can't find where I used the term Real Collectors because we are all collectors in our own way and our own pocketbook. My pocketbook is not as big as many people think. I'm spending a lot of my retirement money on more expensive items that I think (hope) will appreciate. Please accept my apology and in my enthusiasm I used the wrong words. It was in no way meant as a slam. If you recall a few weeks ago I got totally slamed on this site because I took something off ebay before the end. I was not given the opportunity to respons because Jim pulled the topic. As Dick says, I like to sell and many times for less then I pay for items so we should have the ability to pull things from ebay if it seems the right thing to do.

hotcidr #130766 Sun Feb 08 2009 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
MY mistake, you said Buyer NOT Collector.
I NEED a FIX, What's For Sale Ray ?

Dick Bennett #130791 Sun Feb 08 2009 04:20 PM
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
I cant make your auction in person Seth, but its just a matter of distance/money. However, to get to your original point, I would be more inclined to attend in person for the whole atmosphere of a live auction. Food and beer lend to atmosphere, and so does meeting people. I would love to attend some sort of "Old Gas Reception" so I can meet some of the interesting characters here. Maybe you can set aside a time and and area for "Old Gassers" to meet and just have a beer or two before the auction. New people could meet the old timers, and the old timers could kiss and make up.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved