Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
cormy Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Did some research on the old "how to clean porcelain" topic. I have a Gulf Diesel sign that has light brownish staining through out the sign, tried WD40, Soft Scrub, toilet bowl cleaner and naval jelly..nothing will take it out. The navel jelly takes the brown out slightly. It appears that the staining is on top of the porcelain, but no luck. Like I said some stains........

Archived Forum Area

These topics are archived because they are older. You may not post new replies. Contact member through their email in their Profile or by PM message.
Help with contacting members

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Why can't you take some 1500 grit wet sanding paper and wet sand it using meneral spirits? That should work - then just polish it like you would a car paint job.

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

785-357-1004

cormy Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I'm afraid to damage the porcelain more than it is.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Several weeks ago I posted what is good at removing rust stains from signs. My wife ask what was I doing and explained to her that I was trying to find a product that could do what I was asking all the old gassers....she left and brought this stuff out and said to use it. Easy Off one step. It is for cleaning glass and ceramic cook tops. It cleaned the rust stains out of my porcelain signs!!!!! This stuff is fantastic and just under 2 bucks a bottle.
It also will clean painted metal signs with no harm to the paint.
Paddy
WTB Billups, Rose, Spar, and Canal items http://img453.imageshack.us/my.php?image=easyoffwq4.jpg

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
hers a picture of it

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
How did you apply it ??????????

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
there is a sanding/polishing paper called
micro-mesh it goes up to 4000 grit , you can make plexiglass clear again with this
stuff....try hobby shop. I think you can use it wet or dry. I think it goes from 1000 grit up to 4000.....I had found that the cheaper the chlorinated cleanser, the better it worked for getting out the rust stain.avoid stuff like C.L.R. the acid will affect the gloss......Joe

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
to answer blackteetexacogold....apply some on a clean rag, rub area, let it sit till it dries, buff off with a clean rag....presto!!!!I have tried everything suggested but this is the best... Its all I use now.

Paddy
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
Chris, I wet sanded this sign. I don't remember the grit I used but it was a very fine grit. Still not perfect but much better. I lost a little gloss but I think it was from the rust, not the sanding.

Veteran Member
Online Cool
Veteran Member
I have used Whink with great success on some tough rust stains on porcelain. Be careful! This is some potent stuff. It will almost disolve the rust away immediately. You can't let it sit long and you must wear rubber gloves. I use 0000 steel wool and dish detergent on all my signs and Whink only for the tough stains. It will not hurt porcelain, it is designed to use on white porcelain among other surfaces. Here's the link.... http://www.whink.com/

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Smith (edited 01-01-2007).]

[This message has been edited by Mike Smith (edited 01-01-2007).]

KJV Psalms 16:11

Thou wilt shew me the path of life:
in thy presence is fulness of joy;
at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
Take it to a body shop, I own a shop back here and every good body shop has a good buffer. They can wet sand it out and buff it back to a shine. We wet sand and buff fresh paint and clear coat. And if they have someone who can sand and buff paintand clear after only 12 hrs., they for sure wont hurt that porc.

Alan
Custom Decal Printing
www.KILLERDECALS.com
cormy Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks for all the suggestions, but this stuff isn't rust, if it was I think I'd have an easier time. I think it somehow bonded with the porcelain. Not a real big deal sign anyway. Might try the wet sanding.

M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
some stains come from the back as well.
rust eats thru the back of the metal and shows up on the porcelain

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved