Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
I would have to say, it would probably decrease the value of the pump. The only people that would pay as much as a Wayne 40 costs, would be pump enthusiasts and they would (or should) know that that was a computer pump. So, with that said, I would be wrong and a collector would want it right. It would cost more to get a computer, restore it and put it in the pump.

I personally like to keep the pumps as original as possible. If we have to use repro parts to finish an project, than so be it but at least it will be like factory.

If there was a model of the Wayne 40 that came out with the clock face then yea that would be cool if you converted it. But, I don't like fantasy pumps.

But really what does it matter what the board thinks, Its your pump. We can fix it after you get rid of it...lol.

Alan
Custom Decal Printing
www.KILLERDECALS.com
Archived Forum Area

These topics are archived because they are older. You may not post new replies. Contact member through their email in their Profile or by PM message.
Help with contacting members

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reading this thread, reminded me that I need a veederoot for my Tok.34 pump. Does anyone have one for sale, or are they really that rare?
Thanks,
Don

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
jkyocom Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Most people don't even put origional oil co. paint scheme on their pumps.....basicly because most were not too apealing. Does this constitute a "fantasy pump" as well.

I did one such pump,a G.O.C. ,I forget what model,The stainless art deco top & corner trim..... School bus yellow , red base and clamshell ,Shell globe....It never existed, but it was beautiful.It would have been nicer as a clock.Once you stray from 100% origional it is no longer origional, so then the sky is the limit.If you do not restore the computer and just slap decals on it can you say the pump is restored?

When I built pumps I insisted on keeping them as authentic as possible.that is how & why I taught myself to build computers....I needed computers that worked and looked new to be able to call my pumps restored.

But as personal preference I would rather have a Bennett 541 in my house as a clock pump rather than a computer pump.

If you had two identical pumps, one a clock one a computer,let's say a 40, at a sale such as the general public would go to.
You have one price on computer and a slightly higher on clock.
You explain the repro clock and it is not origional, but the computer pump is . .......which do you think would sell first?????

I am mearly offering an alternative for people.And yes , it is totaly reversable,
just take out the clock, put computer back in, the only change would be lenght of reset link rod.
Thanks ....Joe

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I like clockfaces!

Its in the same vein as the guys who buy a clockface conversion of there 60. I like it, lets see it on a pump all done up!

Scott Wright
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think we are splitting some hairs onthis discussion of real vs repop parts. In terms of face plates, those are things that often are so weathered that they have to be replaced and I don't thinkthere are many "origianl" parts like that. Same as trim pieces and sheet metal. Having those repop pieces are not going to diminish a pump's value. But putting the wrong face on a pump I think would not add value. If a person wants to create a "fantasy pump" go ahead. I have a Bennet 76 and searched high and low and finally found the right bezel. (It was the Standard Oil version) I turned it into a Texaco Ethyl pump. Would I have bought a repop bezel? I would have looked hard and if I couldn't find one, I would probably have gone ahead. It's the same as car parts. How many original seat covers and headliners are in every 57 Chevy you see?

Same as globes. If you want to do a Visible with a 15inch Texaco globe, not everyone can find or afford an original. Anyway..lilke has been said many times, its your pump, do what you want and enjoy.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
jkyocom Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I'm sorry,,,20 yrs ago noone was making parts for computer pumps....I sold computer pump parts, origionals. I had access to all the original parts I needed.Faces ,skins,
frames, trim,etc.It was nice when it came time to restore something. I guess that corrupted me.

The only things on this pump that are not origional...paint scheme,retractor cable & ball. Thanks.Joe

Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I love reading these posts and getting the feel of everyone's opinion. It does not matter what you like or dislike. Fact is you do awesome work, Joe!
That's all I got to say about that.
Mike

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joe, I admire your creativity and your work. Like you said ,if you don't want it don't buy it. I have an Erie 20 (page 160 in Jack's book) that I have been hunting for a clock for a long time with no luck. If you could make me any kind of working clock to put in there I'd be happy to buy it. I don't care if it's original or not. I don't plan on selling it and it's just for my personal enjoyment. I'll have to buy a lot of repro. parts form Ron Scobie for this one as well. It won't make it any less valuable to me. When I die and it's sold at my sale then someone else can worry about the originality. It's not worth anything sitting there unfinished like it is.

The Wayne 40 is one of my favorite pumps. In my opinion and this is only my preference. I would rather see a repro. computer than a clock face.

Have fun, that's what it's all about! All this STUFF is just STUFF and in the long run it won't matter one bit! All this is just Worldly Treasures!

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Smith (edited 01-05-2007).]

KJV Psalms 16:11

Thou wilt shew me the path of life:
in thy presence is fulness of joy;
at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
Just an idea, but is the problem that people are having with this the idea that it's a clock mechanism being put in what was originally a computer pump?? If so, I would agree...I'm not even a fan of people who turn the 60's and Tok. 36B's in to clockfaces when they were originally computer, but that's just me. But if putting a fake clock unit in what was originally a clockface pump is the difference between bringing an otherwise complete pump back from the dead, I say go for it...better than scrapping it.

C
C
this is not unlike the car hobby....if you buy an original one owner car and choose to install late model drive train (engine/trans/rear/air ride etc.)its your choice! you own the damm thing!.some/most purest's will curse you...others will praise you!....if you paid 5000 for it and someone offers you 20-25k when your done the choice is yours to sell it or keep it....PEOPLE WILL PAY WHAT EVER THEY WANT/CAN TO GET WHAT THEY ULTIMATELY DESIRE.....i am doin my garage bay/facade with ALL REPRO..cause its cheaper, i get the results i want faster,and i wont have to worry about if i got "ripped off" ...it dont matter cause its my friggin garage!...enjoy your projects!

------------------
"THE KRYLON KID"...Looks great,and tastes good too!

A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
Wow..Joe. You got some people really excited over that question...LOL.

Alan
Custom Decal Printing
www.KILLERDECALS.com
jkyocom Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I didn't make the clock to make money,or to increase the value of a pump, or to deceive.
I made it to work in the 60 & 36-B for a good customer...I love a challenge..then I saw potential for the rest...B-38,77,etc. I have spent more time researching faces to fit
than it took to invent it. I thought other people might want or even need this unit, so
I came here.I know some of my computer customers hang out here a lot.
thanks...Joe

Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved