Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
ebay globe I think this is a fake. Why would some one sell a $3000-$4000 globe for $599 plus looking at Scott's book the lettering is differant since it doesn't have the red circle around it. What do you guys think? The washing dosn't mean nothing.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I can't remeber who Apcopure is but I think he post's on this site as well. I would say it's real and the value is lower because of the bb hole and cracks.

Bob- what are your thoughts.

Scott

Scott
Wanted- Powerine and Powerlube items!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Jarvis....
I've seen ogininal globes with slight differences in lettering before. Now look at the cracks on the side photo....
That's why, I'd guess the price is where it's at. I own a complete cracked early Eldred globe on 15 inch metal I paid $185 for a few years back. If it were perfect, it would be in the thousands.....

Sinclair Joe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I believe the seller is John Rogge. I've had good dealings with him in the past and have no reason to suspect this globe is a fake. JJ, lets turn the tables. Why would someone fake a one piece etched globe for only $600?

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Could be some one faked it and then broke it? I don't know... this is the exact reason why i won't buy a 1 piece globe ever unless i drag it out of a farmers barn myself.

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
John, Have you passed through this town where it is??

Or is it near Rochester and 2Tone nailed it shaking the BB gun???

Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Dodo... good one... i had to think there for a second but i got it. LOL

I e-mail him... yes Bob that is his name and it does have a seven inch base and him and another guy bought a collection out from a widow who's husband collected many years ago. After talking to him i would believe it to be original.
You know even big collectors can have repop in there collection and not know it sometimes. Maybe they found it at and antique store or a swap meet. You never know.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
It appears original to me. My question is: What do you guys think its worth? Is he on target with his asking price for the condition? Kim

------------------

Wanted
*SuperAmerica SA, Holiday or Erickson
*Loxtercamp, Greenwald Service, Greenwald Standard Oil.
*Grey Crown Globe, Standard Oil Signs, Posters
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
The price is a fraction of what an original perfect one would cost. This poses a good question. Should you buy damaged globes? Especially rare ones. I think I would probably buy this globe if I wasn't broke. LOL Damaged globes, to some extent, should not be bought as an investment however, but bought because you just like them. I think this globe still displays well and sitting upon a shelf, the damage would be hardly noticiable, assuming UPS or whoever doesn't finish it off in transit.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
John Rogge is a good guy.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
John is a straight-up guy, have only had good dealings with him. The globe is real-----------------really broke--- but real!!!!!

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Hey JJ,I say the globe is real!Why would anyone put their reputation on 600 dollars.I very seriously dont think that he needs 600 that bad.Scotts books are good but already outdated,especially on the higher end globes.Its hard to keep up with the market with books on the gas stuff.You know this!!!!!!!!!!SSlick

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved