Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
O
OP Offline
O
JACK SIM HAS AN ERIE PUMP LISTED ON HIS PUMP INFO WEB SITE #U603LP AS BEING A POSSIBLE 1928 "AVIATOR". DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THAT IS? WAS THAT A PUMP USED AT AN AIRPORT? ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
THANKS.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
When I posted the list of Erie pumps on my website I was fairly confident the "Aviator" Meter pump was the 603LP. By the time I wrote the Erie section of my gas pump book I had changed my opinion. In the book the 603LP is shown, and the "Aviator" is shown as model number unknown. This occurs often when a pump company doesn't use the model number in their advertisements, just a nickname they gave the pump.
Incidentally, in the book, I didn't use the "U" in front of the 603 number, because all it meant it was a 603 with UL approval.
Erie announced the Aviaor in 1928. It was a combination hand and electric operation meter pump. Basically it was an electric pump with a handle on one side, that could be used it the electric failed.
Giving gas pumps a name was very common at the time. Tokheim had their Victory Visible, Bowser had their Xacto Sentry, Chief Sentry etc. These were just nicknames and had little to do with the mechanics of the pump. Erie called this new pump the Aviator because the Navy had been testing all types of pumps on the market to fuel its aeroplanes and dirigibles and this was the pump they had chosen because of its dependability. This was the first straight cabinet pump made by Eire and all cast parts were eliminated in the making of the pump. In the five ads I have for the pump, there is no mention of it being designed for airport use.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved