Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#114039 Sat Jan 14 2006 02:07 PM
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Hey guys, I signed up for paypal and have a few questions. I signed up for the personal account. From what I can tell so far, it's not much better than mailing a money order in the mail. It looks like when someone pays me, it takes about 5 days for the payment to "clear". It also looks like if I want to have immediate payment, I have to sign up for the business account and pay them 2.9% on every transaction. Someone sent me a credit card payment and I can't accept it unless I sign up for the business account. Does that sound right? It also shows I accept credit card paypal payments on my auctions when I obviously don't. Do you guys here have the personal or business account?
Brent

#114040 Sat Jan 14 2006 02:17 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have a business account on paypal.It's just easier.You can then accept any form of payment.I also have my account connected to my checking account to transfer money from paypal to me.They charge enough fees I don't need to give them $1.50 to write me a check.Also it's really the only game in town since it looks like bidpay is history.

Got Socony???

Tom
#114041 Sat Jan 14 2006 11:17 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ditto. I have a business account too, and the reason I signed up for it initially is that I was in this same situation. Yeay, they do charge 2.9percent, but 3percent is what credit card companies charge you if you accept credit cards in a shop.

I think it's a nice deal - the transfers are instant, and I can also transfer money into my checking account for free. Usually though, I just spend the money I make on ebay.

Wes

#114042 Sun Jan 15 2006 01:42 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Brent,

I have a PayPal Personal Account. It suits me just fine. I can pay anyone with my choice of credit card, bank account or PayPal balance. However, PayPal only allows me to receive payments funded with PayPal or bank account balances and only up to $500 per month. All with NO fees!!

I do some selling on eBay but not enough to justify the fees of the Business Account. I warn every buyer of the funding requirement. If someone tries to pay using a credit card, I simply deny the payment. The only way to receive payment in that manner is to upgrade to the Business Account. In my opinion, the fees are too high and can really add up for high dollar items. Also, PayPal takes the fees regardless of how the buyer pays. For example, they still charge the fees even if the buyer pays using bank account or PayPal funds. Nice money game they have going!!

But as you heard, some sellers like the convenience. To each his own. Good luck with it.

Paul

#114043 Tue Jan 17 2006 06:53 AM
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
Also, I found out the hard way. With this buyer protection, the buyer can get there money back if they change there mind. Even if the seller is in the right. I sold some stuff on ebay and a week later the woman said it was as discribed but decided she wanted to return it because her daughter didn't want it. She said she wanted me to pay the shipping "both ways". I told her I wasn't a store and a deal is a deal. She complained to Paypal and the took the money out of my bank account and gave it back. Its not over but I'm sure my 100% feedback will have a negative by the time I'm done with her.

Alan
Custom Decal Printing
www.KILLERDECALS.com
#114044 Tue Jan 17 2006 05:38 PM
L
L
Paypal is the best option all the way around, even of their charges are high (and I agree that they are). You can always state in your auction that buyer must pay paypal fees if paying with paypal, etc..
Good Luck

Thanks
mike@logic2.com
#114045 Tue Jan 17 2006 05:51 PM
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
I have only gotten 3 paypal payments. One was an e check that has not cleared yet, one cleared immediately, and the other was a credit card payment that I denied. I guess the fees are only assessed when you take credit cards?
I don't see any fees on my summary page.

#114046 Tue Jan 17 2006 06:33 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
logic2,

You are incorrect. eBay policy is that you CANNOT charge the buyer extra for PayPal fees. Check eBay rules. You may have gotten away with it so far but they will catch you eventually, particularly if a bidder complains.

Paul

#114047 Tue Jan 17 2006 06:51 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Call me old fashion but i like postal money orders. Get the money order... chat with the women there and mail it all in 1 stop. There isn't anything on ebay i have to have in 2 or 3 days!

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#114048 Mon Jan 30 2006 07:05 PM
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Well, just figured out something else about paypal that I don't like. I listed an item last night and stated in my auction that I accept paypal, but not credit card payments. That's obviously a big no-no. ebay removed my auction. Mu understanding is that if someone sends you a paypal credit card payment, you HAVE to upgrade to premier account and accept it and pay the 2.9%. You can't tell a buyer you don't accept credit card payments. If I'm understanding this wrong, someone that has more experience with paypal please let me know.

#114049 Mon Jan 30 2006 08:18 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Brent,

Check out my previous two posts on this thread. I have used a simple PayPal Personal Account on eBay for a long time. In my auction description it's stated that the buyer has the option to use PayPal but I only accept PayPal funded through PayPal or bank funds, not credit cards. Do not use the PayPal icon (logo) in your auction. If you do, the assumption is that you accept any kind of payment from PayPal. That's why eBay killed your auction.

Paul

#114050 Mon Jan 30 2006 08:25 PM
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Paul,
the email below is what I rec'd from ebay:

"We would like to take this opportunity to let you know what part of your listing is not permitted.

Your listing(s) contains the following information:

In Description: I do not accept Paypal credit card payments

Sellers who offer PayPal as a payment option in the listing process must accept all forms of PayPal payment, without restriction.

For example, it is *not* permitted to state:

"I only accept cash transfers with PayPal (no credit cards or echecks)" "I only accept payments with PayPal over $15"

Sellers must have a Premier or Business PayPal Account or be willing to upgrade from a Personal PayPal Account to a Premier or Business Account if sellers receive a credit card payment. Sellers may not communicate to buyers that they accept, or will not accept, specific forms of PayPal payment.

Please be aware that you are not required to use PayPal as an accepted form of payment for your listings. However, we hope that you will realize the protection and convenience that PayPal offers".

According to the info, sellers may not communicate to buyers how they will accept or not accept paypal payments. Maybe your auctions just have not been caught by them yet?

Brent

#114051 Mon Jan 30 2006 11:10 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Pablo..according to the boreds on ebay you now must take CC if you take PP..

I did not want to start a PP account, now that Bidpay is gone I likely wont sell anyway.. be 2 years in a few months.

Always use delivery confirmation..lotsa scumballs know that if they claim it never arrived and seller cannot prove otherwise that they can and will do a chargeback!! Then you are out the part and shipping!!

#114052 Tue Jan 31 2006 07:05 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Brent,

Thanks for the info. You sure got caught by eBay. So far, I haven't received anything from eBay on my practices. But then I never use PayPal as a payment option or post the PayPal logo in my auctions. If forced by eBay, I'll just quit offering to accept limited PayPal payments because I won't pay those fees. Since PayPal is owned by eBay, I assume they are trying to raise more revenue by forcing sellers into upgrading to fee generating Business accounts.

dodogas...
That's the good and bad points of credit card payments. I love it when sellers take PayPal because I know my credit card company will stand behind me in the event of a problem. However, as you noted a seller can be held hostage by the buyer. (Another reason I won't upgrade to the PayPal business account.)
By the way, I always make sure I have proof of shipping. Insurance receipt or Delivery Confirmation for most items. For small dollar items, the post office receipt shows weight, zip code and postage amount. Any of these documents represent proof of shipping.

Great collecting!!!!

Paul

#114053 Wed Feb 01 2006 07:37 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Brent:

I ran accros a nifty idea in an e-bay auction. This fellow figured out how to limit the amount of fees asociated with the transactions. He stated his shipping as $40.00 for the item (high cost for the item involved) and then stated that "Cash and Money Orders will qualify for reduced shipping of $10.00".

He didn't state that he wouldn't accept Pay Pal - just that he would give a reduced shipping rate to those individuals that paid with cash/check or a M.O.

'They' didn't pull his auction, so this seems to be a way around the fees.

Later . . .

Jim

------------------
www.T-waysGraphics.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved