Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1134 Mon Mar 20 2006 03:54 PM
E
OP Offline
E
Howdy! Brand new to this forum, although I have been reading for a little while. Anyway, Can anyone tell me information on some license plate toppers? 1 - Standard Oil Research Test Car, 2 - Phillips 66 "Safety Pays", 3 - Pegasus " Drive Safely. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to the site.... What is it that you would like to know about your toppers?

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
E
OP Offline
E
How old are they? What cars were used for testing, this one has a car number on it. Is there anyway of finding out what car this was on? What are they worth? Thanks

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
These were not used for test cars but your family car. They were given away at gas stations as promotions for their product. As a user of their gas you were one of their "test" cars. There are hundreds of these license attachments advertising almost anything (gas/oil, politics, soda pop, vacation spots, ect.). Their use probably started in the 1930s and continued into at least the 1960s. They make a great collection.

Bill Fortune
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I thought that the Reseach Test Car toppers where issued to people who tracked their mileage and maintenance 65 days sometime in the 1930's. I have a topper and they all have a serial # on them. I also have a 40 page book that talks about the Research test cars and the results from people who reported their info back to standard. The book says that "Last summer more than a million Mid-West car owners entered "The World's Greatest Road Test" enabling us to base an exhaustive mileage analysis on many million miles of car-owner driving in city and country in 14 states." The newest models of car mentioned in the book is 1936.
In general though toppers were a way of getting loyal customers to advertise for the oil companies.

[This message has been edited by RARIN TO GO (edited 03-20-2006).]

E
OP Offline
E
Thanks for the info. Not sure if I will keep them or put them on EBay. I was going to include some pics but can't seem to put them on this forum.

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
If you are in canada you likely have the Imperial 3 star test vehicle plate.

Is it like the crown one shown or is it oval??

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved