Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#11230 Sun Nov 24 2002 03:38 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Hello. One more .... easy question. I have a lot of Contains lead signs with the "tetraethyl" on the bottom. I have a pair which say "Antiknock Compounds". I figure thesee were used towards the end of the Lead in gasoline era. Is this correct? How common are these as this is the only pair Ive seen. Were they used by only one company? I got my pump which had them on it, from a jobber - it is a very plain Wayne 80 and it had no brand of gas identified with the pump. I'm from NY State which eliminates the western brands. Thanks in advance for any information you provide. John

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#11231 Sun Nov 24 2002 04:50 PM
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
These signs (which usually read "For Use as a Motor Fuel Only - Contains Lead "Tetraethyl") were required to be displayed on the sides of leaded gasoline pumps. They were originally required to prevent people from mistaking leaded gasoline from "white" gasoline (which was intended for stoves and lamps). They aren't terribly uncommon.

------------------
Jim Hinds
Columbus, Indiana

Jim Hinds
Columbus, Indiana
#11232 Sun Nov 24 2002 05:32 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
A point of clairification, I know that the ... tetraethyl ones are common. What about the Antiknock Compound one?

#11233 Sun Nov 24 2002 05:58 PM
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
They tetraethyl ones were used unitl 1959 or so. The Antiknock ones were used during the sixties being eventually replaced by stickers in the seventies I believe. They are far from rare and worth about the same as the tetraethyl ones.

#11234 Sun Nov 24 2002 06:29 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
The "anti-knock" was used on many different ethyl gasoline pumps to show your engine wouldn't knock , it was an earlier sign i have them on all my clock face pumps , it was an early way of saying that it contained lead ,

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved