Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Hi Everyone, I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on this situation. Does anyone know how long it typically takes to get your money back through paypal with a "Item significantly not as described" complaint?

My situation is this: I bought a boat motor on ebay that was supposed to be a 1988 to replace the powerhead in one of my 1991 outboards (the 1988 is compatible). When I got it home from Long Island (I live in Maryland) I was looking at the block and saw the model number on there and it looked different than the one that had been advertised in the auction. Well, I looked it up, and turns out it's a 1985, making it not compatible with my engines. I do think it was an honest mistake, the model # was off by only 1 letter.

Needless to say, I've been going back and forth with the guy, and I think he does want to get it resolved, but bottom line he already spent the money (apparently) and can't issue a refund right now. He's trying to get me to take $300 and then resell the motor, hoping I'll at least break even or possibly even profit. Thing is, the motor had significant corrosion on the trim unit, steering tube etc that was not advertised. I noticed it when I picked it up, but didn't care since I wasn't using those parts. I'm an honest ebayer though and would advertise those things, making me think it wouldn't sell for nearly as much. Not to mention it's not my responsibility to pay myself back.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Chris, if the seller has the money in his paypal account, then a couple of days to a few weeks. If he doesn't have the money in the account... well after 3 years I still haven't been reinbursed for items never sent by two different sellers who took the money and "ran". I had a dispute a couple of months ago and paypal told me that what happened to me in the past wasn't suppost to be possible anymore and I got my money back in approx a week... I wish that you have much better luck than I had in the past.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
well i got mine settled in just a coupla weeks,but i think ebay knew he was a deadbeat.good luck chris

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sure hope you used a C.C. to PayPal him.

C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Yes, I did use a CC. DB, I assume you're saying I may need to have my CC company sort it all out? I'm still hoping this all comes to a peaceful resolution. I'm half tempted to take him up on his offer of $300 and letting me sell it as I wouldn't have to deal with having to get it back to him (which I've heard Paypal sometimes requires?) but then again there's no garauntee that it'll sell for what I need it to.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would contact your C.C. company & let them play with P.P.
If he re-sells it, will he be trying as hard to get your full return as he did to fill his pockets ?
Because you left his place with the item, it might be harder to prove that you didn't switch the item in question.

C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Well, I talked with Paypal today, they said I would be covered EXCEPT that I would have to ship the motor back to the seller at MY EXPENSE. Now I said to them "you do realize this weighs 500 pounds" to which they replied with a "well, that is our policy." Am I better off trying to go the chargeback route with my credit card? It would probably cost almost as much as I paid for the motor to ship it back. They said I couldn't even return it with my own trailer nor could I have him come and pick it up.

V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
At this point, I would call Vinny.

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
LOL funny you should say that Vermonter, a guy in my office just broke both of his legs skiing and is in a wheel chair. He offered to sit in a photo with a sign that said "I tried to cheat him, this is what happened". LOL Funny stuff, but won't really help me smile

V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Maybe not, but good for a laugh!

C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Has anyone ever done a CC chargeback as opposed to the Paypal disputes process? I don't want to keep the item, I just want my money back. He can have his motor back, I just don't think it should be my responsibility to get it back to him. It would be one thing if it was a dispute like "Oh, there's some scratches you didn't tell me about" but this is the actual year and model of the motor.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Chris why not contact your CC company and see what they say? Can't be of less help than Paypal? What throws me is Paypal telling you how it needs to be returned. They only handled the payment, they shouldn't dictate how an item is returned. I think you got someone blowing smoke out an orfice. If they had that much control they would have said how it could be transported to you in the first place. Just my .02.

C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Hi Bob,

Well, since the guy has no money (allegedly), Paypal would be covering the refund under the buyer protection policy. That policy states that if it is a "not as described" complaint, then the buyer is responsible for return via a verifiable carrier. Ridiculous yes. I've talked to several people there to no avail. Some of the people I've talked to conceed that it's an absurd policy, but they claim that's the way it is.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Unreal! Hopefully, your CC company will see it a different way and give you the help you need. Let us know how it comes out and I think you know that we're all pulling for you.

V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Chris, If I am reading you right, you would be willing to get it back to him, but paypal wont allow you to do it yourself. This will be a pain, but what if you drove it to the closest shipper to his town and had the shipper ship it the rest of the way? Maybe that would lower the cost enough to make it worthwhile. How would paypal know.
Or, eat it and resell it.
Or, call Vinny

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved