Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#103389 Thu Nov 30 2006 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with Mr. Wadhams. Well said.

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#103390 Thu Nov 30 2006 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
This topic has brought out some good replies. There have been some useful suggestions and there have been some unpractical suggestions.

Jim posted:
"To me it's more of a courtesy thing. We need to respect the other guy.

* Post items that are really intended for resale in the For Sale forum rather than the Showcase Buy of the Week topic. This issue upsets many people, so why not follow that guideline?

* Using the "thumbnail code" from ImageShack shows consideration for the many dial-up users we have. This makes a real difference when a lot of images are on one page.

Most of us love to see pictures of cool petro and auto service stuff. We don't want to nit-pick image contributors, but if we take no action, we show disrespect to the concerns of other members."

He points out that dealers can post in For Sale or Trade (for free).

Here's an excerpt from the Membership Agreement:
"Post items that are for sale or trade only in the For Sale or Trade forum category, or the Online Auction category. For sale items may be deleted from other forum categories unless they are in reply to a legitimate request for that item. Multiple messages with similar content will be deleted. Please don't post the same message more than once."

Its right there in the rules for everyone to see. THAT IS why we receive so many complaints.

Mr. Wadhams hit the nail on the head with this comment:
"Some COLLECTOR finds his first pump out on a farm and makes a deal with the old farmer and buys it and is thrilled...or finds a new can for his collection at a swap meet or gas bash and is proud of his new addition to his can collection even though it may not be a big dollar item.... he wants to share his new acquisition with his fellow "hobbiests".

That is EXACTLY what BOTW is supposed to be about.

Those that counter by saying they like seeing the pictures miss the point. We all like to see the pictures. Just post them in the right place. Dealers posting items in BOTW is no different than if they would post them in a topic about rebuilding a veeder root computer.

While this site does have over 4400 members, the actual number of people that post regularly is much lower. A VERY high percentage of regular posters have weighed in publicly and privately about this matter. The responses that concern me the most are the ones from the people that have stopped posting on a regular basis because of a few people abusing this site.

We aren't going to exclude someone because they have the means to buy lots of things. In fact we welcome more collectors to post (within the guidelines of this site).

One piece of useful information we gained from this discussion is that some don't like thumbnail images. Thats unfortunate because requiring them for those that post lots of images was an option. We'll hold off on that for now.

Chad brought up an important point:
"The only thing that I get tired of is some of these pictures that are of the larger size are of items that were posted 4 and 5 months ago, they just are new pics. BOTW should be exactly that, stuff that you bought that week."

The following rules for the Showcase and Stories forum will take effect immediately:

Links to other websites will not be allowed.

Phone numbers will not be allowed.

Images of the reverse side of items will not be allowed.

Those new rules apply to the entire Showcase and Stories forum.

Also, if you see the same item being posted more than once in BOTW send a link to the multiple posts to me.

We will NOT edit posts that don't comply with the rules. We will simply delete them!
Bob Drake, Oldgas.com Admin.

Edit for spelling.

[This message has been edited by Lastgas15 (edited 11-30-2006).]

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#103391 Thu Nov 30 2006 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey!! Let's start a "Call somebody out" category,that way if you don't like somebody you can duke it out in there.

#103392 Thu Nov 30 2006 10:05 PM
P
P
Sounds like a reasonable compromise to me!!!

Richard

Richard Weir
Corinth, Texas
#103393 Mon Dec 04 2006 01:25 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I will ask for an exclusion on the showing reverse side of items.

1.. on oil cans

2..if other side of sign has a different image

3..pump or oil rack , if they have different decals or signage as the other side.

Can you consider this please..

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved