Click here for Original Gas Pump Plate auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
S
I remember that refinery in Clarkson well. After BA, it was Gulf, then PetroFina, then Petro Canada.
The units built to produce the high-octane component for aviation gasoline in the 40s were a Fluid Catalytic Cracker Unit, and an hydroflouric acid alkylation unit. The Alky was a nasty unit to work on because the acid is extremely hazardous to work with. Was a reaction unit, took a molecule of butylene (C4)and a molecule of iso-butane (also C4), and combined them to form one molecule of iso-octane (C8).
It was decommissioned in the 80's.

Great work on a great Canadian Company, Ken!

[This message has been edited by silent chief (edited 05-05-2007).]

Always looking for Texaco Canada, Supertest, White Rose, McColl Frontenac, and Miller Oil Co. info.
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K
Hi All.
Just got in from outside and thought I would drop a quick line. Thanks a million Rod and Silent Chief for your posts. Great stories. I should be back on track tomorrow nite as I went to a swap meet in Red Deer yesterday and was pooped out when I got back around 7:00 pm, and chores to do outside today as it was a beautifull day. I also will have some buys of the week to post tomorrow too when I get the pictures ready. Have a good nite.
Ken.

W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
Ken

I went to the red deer swap meet too friday and saturday did not buy a lot but it is nice to meet some of the collectors that you know.

ward

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Ken

Thanks for taking the time to do this... Your doing a great job and your collection is awesome !

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K
Thanks everyone for the kind words, it's been a blast doing this. Ward, too bad we couldn't have met up, next time.
It's getting late but I think I will do a few years into the '50's and tomorrow nite post some more pictures maybe.
In 1950, Albert Ellsworth died on Nov.29 at the age of 74.
1951, B/A President Whiteford took a position with Gulf Oil in the U.S. and Ole Burg Jr. took over as President.
1952, a new lake tanker was built, bringing the total number of B/A Tankers to 22.
1953, one more Tanker-B/A Canada was launched.
1954, B/A introduced the first internally lighted signs for their service stations.
1955, things were starting to get big. Sales of refined products reached almost 34 million Barrels through 7,500 Dealers and Farm Distributors and 320 Branches and Agencies. B/A had 27,000 shareholders and 5,765 employees.
M.S. Beringer became President. Oil production in Canada and U.S. reached a record of 10.5 million barrels and had reserves of 113 million barrels of crude and 404 billion cubic feet of gas and total refinery output for the year was over 33 million barrels.
To be continued....
Good nite folks.
Ken.

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K
Hello guys 'n gals.
Steve Quick sent me these great pictures of an awsome oil bottle rack of his, and a poster of Mr. B/A giving motorists a warning. Thanks Steve.

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K

Hi again.
I thought I would post some pics of 3 of my pumps, well 2 0f them as the 756 now resides with Gary and Lesley Krpan of Grande Prairie, Alberta.
These pumps were all original B/A pumps, the tall 600 series pump is still original, but I touched it up with a spray bomb to make it a little more presentable, it still has the original B/A 88 decal on the door. It sits outside my garage door and it probably will stay this way for a long time other than maybe a globe for it.
The 1066 resides in my basement. Interestingly enough, and I don't have anything to back this up with other than just noticing in pictures and what I've seen is that B/A used the Bennett pumps quite a bit. They obviously used other brands, but I seem to see more Bennetts than any others. I also know of one other 600 series Bennett that I have been trying to get for a few years in Saskatchewan that was B/A 88 as well.
Ken.
Oh yeah, Brad Ralston, gasoildude, do you remember when I bought the window trim from you a few years ago? The 1066 here is the one it went on.
Ken.

[This message has been edited by Ken Bird (edited 05-08-2007).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You might want to note also for the globe collectors Ken that B/A made a bunch of different original globes but they never made one like the one on your pumps nor did they make a 15 inch steel band globe....mm

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K
Thank you minuteman, that is a good point. The globe like on my pumps are a fantasy globe I do beleive. I don't think I've ever seen any other type of globe other than the bow-tie globe. Joe Kelly I think has at least one, and Lloyd Dietz had, at one time, one or two bow-tie globes.
Ken.

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K

The pictures pretty much explain themselves.

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K

And a few more before retiring for the evening. Tomorrow night: more history, and probably more pictures. nighty-night.
Ken.

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M

[This message has been edited by mobil100 (edited 05-09-2007).]

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K
Good evening folks. Tonight we will continue with some more history.
In 1956, B/A participated in forming CANSULEX, a sulpher exporting company, and increased it's ownership in Shawinigan Holdings Ltd.
Also in 1956, B/A bought out the Canadian Gulf Oil Company from the parent Gulf Company for 8.3 million common shares of B/A and the B/A Producing Company in the U.S.
Up to this point, Gulf had 25% of the B/A shares, B/A now increased it's land holdings in western Canada from 1,000,000 to 11,000,000 acres, increased it's crude reserves 10 times and B/A had the largest Natural Gas reserves in Canada.
It seems like B/A had taken over a subsidiary of a foreign company, but actually a foreign company had now control of B/A.
In 1957, M.S. Beringer retired and E.D.Brockett took over as President. Brockett was formerly the Vice President of Gulf Oil.
Velvet 98 gas was also introduced.
Mr. B/A was introduced. The Mr. B/A likeness was taken from a man by the name of Don Mark. He was working at a B/A service station in Oshawa, Ont. at the time. Apparently he is still doing well after his retirement from Gulf Oil.
I think I will stop there for now, and we can continue with the '60's next time.
Ken.

Here is a scan of Mr.B/A from the back of a map.
KLB.

[This message has been edited by Ken Bird (edited 05-10-2007).]

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K

A few 5 Gallon oil pails and 25 lbs grease pails.

[This message has been edited by Ken Bird (edited 05-10-2007).]

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K

A few more transitional style, a 13 gallon drum, a 10 lbs gease pail and a grease gun cartridge.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved