Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Exactly right Bryce. Ron Lease-Collector ;;;;;;

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Chiming in with both Bryce and Maxgas, I too stopped handing out values a long time ago because of the hate mail I receive .

see ya on the road folks !
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: BryceG
people might also know what they are worth but don't choose to share because anyone should be able to form an evaluation of value by searching the internet and finding sales history, asking prices, etc. it takes time & money to do this research...so some are not willing to give that experience away for free.

...yup...call a doctor, lawyer or financial advisor, and try to get free advice...people don't want to put in the time to learn about the stuff, they just want a shortcut...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good points everyone.
The opinions on value can vary a lot because a collector (especially a long time collector that has developed a network of people to deal with) might post a much lower value that they would expect to pay for an item, while a picker/dealer might post a much higher value that could (or hope to) sell an item for. Often times the dealer's typical clientele are not the folks we see at petroliana shows. So the selling venue is a major factor in what an item is worth, as is the geographical location.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I agree with all the above comments, and not to keep this thread off topic, but as I mentioned in the value post on the Standard bathroom mirrors, not receiving a thanks or at least some acknowledgement for the free information given from posters has stopped me from replying to 99% of value posts anymore.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
as I've mentioned before... if you want to get the best response rate on a value that you cannot seem to figure out. Make a poll and let people anonymously vote... majority rules.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Also most of those signs and many others values can be determined with a little research. Most people asking value just don't want to do the leg work involved.
I stopped giving out estimates a while ago after I told a guy what I thought a sign was worth only to have him tell me I was wrong,he found one on eBay and it was for sale for twice what I thought it was worth........

Please visit my website Gasstuff.com
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
To all the newbies trying to figure life in the gas lane out, all the previous comments including mine were made by active collectors who have been participating in the hobby for many many years. Only you and the actions of the future collectors can change the community back for the good. Just remember that before you make any judgments or comments on the site or others for that matter. We are here to help as long as the attitudes are checked at the door. Just my 2 cents. See you guys on the road.

Last edited by Maxgas; Tue Mar 03 2015 06:14 PM. Reason: spelling / grammer

-MAXGAS-
Looking for Independent Gas & Oil, Oilzum,& Early FORD dealership items.
B
OP Offline
B
I want to thank all of you for your responses and I appreciate all that has been said. I asked here to get ideas on the value of the signs because as a new guy, I didn't know where else to look besides ebay, and that wasn't very helpful. I'll be going to my first gas show next week, so I'll probably learn a lot more there.
Thanks
Ken

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Right on, Bryce AND Darin. John

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved