Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#599198 Thu Feb 19 2015 10:12 PM
P
phmlpn Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I'm a nurse who cares for a special needs child at home. But I have been a "petro junkie" since I was three years old.

My question is, have others (with no previous interest in petroliana) approached you and wanted to know more about it?

phmlpn
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I get questions all the time at work. I have people dropping stuff off there. It always peaks others interest to see what I am buying and the big question of WHY!!!
I like explaining and showing off my collection of stuff. Just started collecting about 3 years ago. I have people that find stuff at yard sales bringing it to me as gifts. Can't beat free oil cans!!

Dan

Last edited by mcguffeyd1; Thu Feb 19 2015 10:49 PM.

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have a lot of people ask me that as well, like Dan said it's fun to show them what it is and your Collecton I was at a swap meet and a guy asked me what would be a good beginner item I told him it all depends on your style and the space you have to show it off and then I recommended starting with some oil cans and pump plates.

Like Dan said I have people bring me stuff they find at garage sales or in there parents barns and garages.

Oilzum, 1qt Oil Cans, Gas and Oil smalls, Oldsmobile collectables.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have people ask me how they can "get into" this hobby and buy a bunch of signs to resell because they need to make some quick money.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: KZ1000
I have people ask me how they can "get into" this hobby and buy a bunch of signs to resell because they need to make some quick money.

That's bad for our hobby . The same thing happened with muscle cars . takes a lot of the fun out of it IMO

Follow the Red Indian Trail
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
People still look at me like I'm sort of space alien. I run a diorama building group on Face Book devoted to anything roadside America . I build models of actual stations and in the past year , I am now exhibiting then in "Invitational " dollhouse shows .

I have written a book on the subject years back and I'm currently re doing it with updates as a Political Science text . I was collecting everything , but due to health, I have had to sell off most of my collection except for small items .

Feel free to ask any further questions you may have !

see ya on the road folks !
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
I have a Bar&Grill . People get introduced every day into the world of Petoliana.

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I can't tell you how many times I've had people inquire about the hobby just because I keep a couple Mobil items on my desk at work, which is within public view. One time a lady asked why I had a Mobil sign hanging on the wall by my desk. I told her I collected Mobil and "old gas" items to which she replied her 80+ year old father was an exec. at Socony Vacuum. He ended up coming in and last year gifted me an unbelievable archive of photos of White Star Refining as well as other nice photos and paper items. Having the hobby visible at work has also lead to leads on purchasing countless items for my collection. It pays to be passionate about the hobby and to promote your interests with others....you never know what a connection might bring!
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Cool bar & grill decor, pumpdoc! Post your address so us petro junkies can stop by when we're traveling on a road trip.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
At summer car cruises,lil kids approach me and quietly ask me what kind of car this is?
I whisper back,it's called a Chevelle.
They then turn around and yell back to their young parents cowering off to the side,.."it's called a Chevelle!"

This same age group,is sometimes astonished to learn we had gas station attendants who did all the work while we sat in our cars back then...LOL.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I find that people are curious at best, I have never run into anyone wanting to really get into the hobby.

Randy

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved