Next Thread
Print Thread
#53021 Sun Nov 23 2003 09:14 AM
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
Hi guys,got this from an old nieghbor.Used to be her late husbands,the 15" body is original but i cant tell if the lenses are,they are notched at the bottom,if that tells anything.not stamped repro anywhere,i'll have pics posted soon.thanks in advance. Mike

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Online Cool
Here is Mike's globe:

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
If the bottom notch is on the inside part of the lens, not a notch like for capco or glass, most likely it's good. The metal bodies had a small locator at the bottom and this notch fit over that. Kept the lense from rotating.

I know of no repo using this notch.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WOW! Awesome globe!!!!

Most all original and SOME repro 15" lenses have a V notch at the bottom to line up over a bump in the body.

All of the original 15" Hancock globes I've seen or seen pictures of are on a high profile body.

If this is an original, its a new find! Its a great looking globe. I'd like to see pictures of the back of the lenses and the inside of the base of the body.
Bob

[This message has been edited by Lastgas15 (edited 11-23-2003).]

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Sorry Mike . this globe is a fantasy. it was taken from a decal off an oldpump by a friend of mine in Modesto. Then a guy by the name of Bill Stevens had Pergul make 15" globes for him. Pergul makes them also for or was makeing them for vic's . the guy,Dale from Modesto has had Mike Slama make 13 1/2 " for him to sell , so its not a real globe and never was sorry.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm always skeptical of new discoveries. They're still out there though.

The Ethyl logo looks elongated on this one. The Ethyl logo is centered over the burst on every original globe I can remember seeing, but not on this globe. The burst isn't uniform on this globe either. Having said all that, it doesn't look at all like the repop 13 1/2" globe in Vic's catalog. Maybe Seth or Mike has more info they could share with us.

Original or repop, its a great looking globe.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
thanks guys,i sent Bob some pics of it apart.the retainers are so rusty i only removed one side.was nervous enough just doing that.if its a repop its still nice,i gave 75. for it so i'll live.has alot of dirt and rust for not being old. Mike

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mike sent a picture of the back of the lens. Its a repop for sure. The back of the lens is totally white. The body looks pretty new also.

At $75 he still did OK.
Bob

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Ethyl was a trademaked logo and I assume strict about the display of it. Thay probably supplied the artwork for customers who had to stay within guidelines. Was the ethyl burst not generally yellow and on the early ones light blue??
dodogas

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The Ethyl burst is normally yellow. Orange and blue were also used.

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Not to take anything away from the famous Globemaster and dear friend. but on my Seaside Ethyl globe, in the ethyl logo, blue was used in place of black and the seaside yellow was used in place of the logo yellow normally used. so they only used three silk screens. on this globe I don't know if they ever fixed the rooster but on the decal that Bill Stevens had done up. the poor rooster was in bad shape. Here is an image of the decals that Bill had made.

[This message has been edited by Dwaine Buck (edited 11-23-2003).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dwaine,
Seaside Ethyl is the only globe I've seen with the blue logo. Has anyone seen another brand that used a color other than black for the Ethyl logo? There are probably others, but none come to mind right now.

There are variations in the shade of yellow used for the ethyl burst. There are variations in all the colors used.

I forgot to mention earlier that red was also used. I've heard that there are some globes with a yellow burst with blue or green tips on the rays. Anyone ever see colors other than yellow, orange,red, or blue used for the ethyl burst?

Dodogas,
The blue burst was used in the early years, but so was yellow.

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
The globe is very nice and Mike didn't get hurt.But this is a very good example of why Reproductions need to be marked.Rex

------------------

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved