Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Project Car auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc120/CarltonHendricks/gas%20bash/PICT0255_zps5f9b9df2.jpg
Hi my name is Carlton…this is my first post here….This is a great site…Although my focus is sports display antiques this is a great place to learn about petro and pick up tips about signs in general. Above is a link to some photos I took at a gas bash in Sonoma County Calif a few months ago…I didn’t get much in signs…just that Yale Tires…and why I’m not sure …it’s double sided and a unique die cut shape…rough but for $50.00 I got it…I saw another Yale Tires sign at Grandpa’s garage couple years ago in Springfield OH… that you can see here

Anyway…I’m posting below a c1920 Silver King Golf Balls porcelain sign I just got….I washed it with soap and water but it has what appears to be water stains throughout…Q. Can I get some advice on how to clean those water stains…I’ve read quite a few threads here on cleaning signs and am kind of on overload from all the different methods that have worked for people…I’ve sort made up my mind to try “Zud” cream if I can find it…Walmart didn’t have it…I’ll keep trying…but if anyone has a better solution please advise…thanks
-Carlton
www.SportsAntiques.com

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; Tue Dec 23 2014 05:32 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looks like a Lighthouse sign ,no?

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: JimT
Looks like a Lighthouse sign ,no?

Jim, Yes I believe so...Anthony of RedHotRelics, who I got it from, told me as much...I had never heard of Lighthouse signs until getting this...and I've been knocking around the antiques world about 30 years...As I understand it they're all the same size 60" x 27 1/2"...Once I get it cleaned up I want to make a frame for it...probably just a simple wood one...

If anyone has any period photos of a roadside lighthouse would like to see them....or any other information about them...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My first line of attack would be muriatic acid. DO NOT inhale the fumes.

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bar Keepers Friend and fine steel wool--you can find it at Walmart.

smile

Frank Jordan
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I agree with the Bar Keepers Friend and #0000 steel wool.But spray with WD40 first then the elbow grease.

Robert

Searching For SunRay DX and Diamond Oil Signs
OP Offline
Thank you all for your recomendations...Has anyone used oven cleaner?...ovens are porcelain...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The quick, cheap and easy way to remove rust stains is to use muratic acid and a scrub brush, followed by a rinse with water.
Repeat as needed.

Once you remove as much of the rust stains as possible use some fine WHITE rubbing compound and a buffer, followed by paste wax and a buffer.
You won't get the blue to look good. It's too far gone and the white or grey is showing through.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
oven cleaner is only for crud and recent stains in an oven, it won't do anything for this sign.

Be sure if you use Muratic Acid that you don't let it sit on it for too long, you'll then have more irreversible damage.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: KZ1000
oven cleaner is only for crud and recent stains in an oven, it won't do anything for this sign.

Be sure if you use Muratic Acid that you don't let it sit on it for too long, you'll then have more irreversible damage.
. X2 muriatic acid is strong stuff, porcelain is not indestuctible-especially if there is prior damage from acid rain,ect.

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Iron-X it works on most rust marks. Search it out on this site with the OG google search tab there was an extensive discussion on it earlier this year. Worth a try.

OP Offline
Thanks so much for all the input I’ve gotten here, I hope everyone had a merry Christmas...Since I’ve never cleaned a porcelain sign…and have no experience at it and run the risk of messing it up worse…I’m reluctant to try cleaning it myself. On top of that I’m in it $1,100.00…and I’d rather not learn on an $1,100.00 sign…

So after thinking this thru and before even starting on it…I’ve realized I’d much prefer to find someone with experience to clean it. Would anyone know of someone in the Northern California area who could? Thanks -Carlton

Carlton,
Sounds like you are hesitant to jump in...why not take a cleaning recommendation you are comfortable with from above and give it a shot to a small area on the back of the sign? Or, type in "porcelain sign" on your local craigslist, and buy the nastiest, hole infested porcelain sign in your area for $40 and go to town? Personally, I use Goop, its a gritless handcleaner. What Goop leaves behind, I am comfortable with. It took mother nature 80+ years to cook that sign, and I think it looks great as is. Minus a professional sign restoration, you are never going to replace the missing metal, or lost color shelving. Just my opinion, my speech is over.
Paul

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I am with Paul you are over thinking the risk. Take the measures he has suggested (Other side, small area) and use some elbow grease with whatever agent you choose. If DB were still here he would have mentioned that BEER is also an essential component of any cleaning/restoration job.
Here is a link to Iron-X to show how easy the majority of the touted solutions are;

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=563325&page=1

Last edited by Gasman84470; Sat Dec 27 2014 11:50 AM.
LSx Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
That sign is flippin killer!!!!

-Brian

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved