Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out if this sign is porcelain or not. I'm still not enough of an expert. It is a cookie cutter BFG sign. It looks like porcelain to me, but the white looks like it is painted because the red seems to be showing through (looks kind of purple). My question is was it common for sign makers to paint on top of porcelain? The blue especially looks like porcelain, but there are no chips on any of the blue. The reason I am asking is because I am thinking about possibly putting this sign on ebay and I want to describe it correctly. Excuse all the pics, but I needed to show a lot of it so you guys can figure it out. Also, has anyone else ever seen one of these? Any ideas to value?
Thanks,
Brent

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
3 more pics

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Looks like porcelain to me...

Scott
Wanted- Powerine and Powerlube items!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
mmmmmmmmm...... sweet porcelain

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...sure, they 'layered' porcelain all the time...the huge 'GULF OIL CORPORATION' bulk plant signs are white porcelain on top of dark blue porcelain...if the white got weathered, the dark blue showed through as well...

[This message has been edited by gulfiend! (edited 02-01-2006).]

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
sure as hell looks like porcelain and... a very nice sign !!

C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Thanks guys. That's good news. Next question. What do you do about the flaking white paint?

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
drink to it !!!!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would say that the white could be baked on paint, over porcelain. Thing is, the blue is on top of it, right? There wouldn't be porcelain on top of baked paint.

Wes

C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Wes,
That's what is strange...the blue is higher than the white and red. You can definetely feel the difference.

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
I had a chance to buy one of these recently and passed b/c of condition. This sign is very unusual....Porcelain w/white reflective paint over the porcelain in the white areas. The white area should be gritty or have some texture.

Collect small Oklahoma Oil Co.'s 1920's-1940's. Barnsdall, Cushing, Eason, Marland, etc.

C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
okoil1, thanks for the reply. That's exactly how this one is. On the one you passed on, how did it compare to mine and how much $$$ was it? Trying to figure a value...

[This message has been edited by Chevelle SS (edited 02-01-2006).]

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
I think it's part of a larger sign?, the one I was offered was in lesser condition maybe a 6-6.5 and he wanted $150 and would have most likely taken $100.

On value, I'm not sure...take some Bar Keepers friend or something to the porcelain (not painted areas) and see what it looks like...maybe $200-250? or 300 on a real good day?

Collect small Oklahoma Oil Co.'s 1920's-1940's. Barnsdall, Cushing, Eason, Marland, etc.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
There is one of these in Durham, NC - it ain't for sale, I tried - It goes, one on each side of a larger B.F. Goodrich lettering, baby blue porcelain die-cut letters. These BFG signs are individually mounted onto the building seperately about 5 foot away from the BF GOODRICH letters on each side. They aren't part of another sign, per say, but ARE a part of a design facade. Cool sign. Anyone got any "Standard" NJ for sale?

C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Thanks Okoil for the info.

Hey BBQ, I would like to see a picture of that if you have one or can take one. Just curious to see what it looks like.

Thanks,
Brent

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved