Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
750 is insane for 2 worn out common crowns. Even for 3 of em it's high unless shipping is included. Stick to signs. Looks like you overpaid for these.

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: gr8_signfinds
SO...

Being that everyone here is saying $750 for the pair (including shipping) is too much, what IS the value of these SUPER COMMON globes?

Who here has some in similar condition that would be willing to sell two at the same price I'm offering them at?

Can't see how $750 shipping included is too much for two great original pieces of standard oil history!?!?

I'm a globe collector and I used to collect Standard items so I figure I can give you an informed opinion on your globes.
Here goes....
To a serious collector they would have little or no value. Why? First off non-lettered Red Crowns are one of the most common gas pump globe ever used. That's no exaggeration. Standard (IND) was a huge company with a large marketing territory. They used that globe from 1932 until the early 1960's. Most stations replaced the globes as the paint became worn. There are many, many Red Crown globes still in existence.
So what are they worth? I don't know of a single globe collector that's been around any time at all that would be interested at any price unless they were buying for resale. That's because of the very poor condition of the paint. An inexperienced collector might pay in the $200 each range at a petro swap meet. I agree with the poster that said the best place to sell those would be a local auction where the buyers aren't familiar with how common those globes are.
Collectors of Standard items won't touch those globes because of the condition. NOS or very close to NOS (non-lettered)Red Crowns generally sell in the $600 range. On a good day they might bring $800.
The condition of the paint kills the value of your globes.....same as it would any globe. Think of it this way...if you had a nice 3pc globe with good graphics that might be worth $3000 then washed off 90% of the paint what do you think it would be worth? Basically it would be worth the price of the body. What makes you think washed out extremely common globes are worth so much?
Reproductions and repainted originals are also keeping the the value of washed out crowns low.
If you're serious about selling them either consign them to a local auction or list them on ebay for $200 each with no reserve.
Or you can continue to argue with the people that have more experience and more knowledge about the hobby.

I have some "super common" globes in my collection. I have some incredibly rare globes too. Of my 160+ globes I don't have any in that poor condition. But if I did own those two washed out crowns I'd sell them for $750 shipped in a heartbeat!

Rather that argue with the collectors that know what they're talking about you'd be much better off educating yourself about what you're buying and selling.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great comments Bob, doesn't get any better than that

Last edited by s932; Sat Sep 13 2014 06:26 PM.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
I agree with the assessment of about 175.00 to 200.00 apiece to a beginner or novice collector. But I also agree that you can ask whatever you want for them. Every now and then even a blind squirrel will find a nut.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
gr8signfinds@gmail.com you have had many experienced collectors spend there time and give you very credible explanations on value. You asked for a value. We all have patently spoon fed you. Please take our advice or quit posting in this category and wasting valuable knowledge that could be shared with people who are looking for values and not our time. Thank you.

Scott Wright
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Most members here know I'm a picker/reseller, I buy and sell stuff like those globes. The last one I had which had similar loss of paint sold for $200 after I hauled it for about a month to markets and shows attended by collectors. No reason to ship them, a local buyer is far better than risking damage in shipment. Better yet trade them off to someone for signs.

And gr8signfinds, the market on globes doesn't alter nearly so much as on signs, so the auction results are quite valid that were given. No need to discount them just because you might not like the facts. Maybe you overpaid for them? That's what I usually find out when someone discounts sound and reasonable responses.

Throw them up on craigslist in your area at $500 obo for the pair, or invest in some restoration.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved