Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#51119 Sun Mar 02 2008 09:30 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Hi. I'm new to this great site. Kind of stumbled upon old gas station stuff to decorate my shop and am starting to get addicted!

Wondering if anyone knows anything about the origins of this sign? Age, manufacturer, etc. It's two sided and meant to be back lit. In addition to the larger holes spelling GAS, it has lots of smaller holes around the letters and also forming a border with ornate designs in the corners. The large holes at the top are 15" in diameter and must have been meant to hold typical lenses with snap rings. I'm going to restore it and hang it from the ceiling or find a period correct pole for it.

I'm kinda new to collecting petroliana, so if anyone can tell me some of the oil companies that may have done business in South Dakota, I can start looking for lenses.

Thanks! Larry

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
welcome to oldgas SoDakSpeed........It appears your sign is 1920's & its called punched tin....measure the hole size above, a gas lens may work there.....McSaveney(spelling) made many of these types of signs......They made one in Ford that is just great.............If i was you i'd be looking for some Buffalo Gas memorabilia .....good Luck on the hunt..

[This message has been edited by roadrelics@aol.com (edited 03-02-2008).]

S
OP Offline
S
Thank roadrelics!

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
could be a clockhole..

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Some of the Standard companies used 15" globe lenses in signs.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Welcome Larry!

Ryan

------------------
visit my website for original gas pump parts

thepumpdump.com

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Larry,welcome to oldgas.It sure is good to see someone else from South Dakota on here.I'm kind of new to this hobby too.I don't get a chance to post on here very often but I visit this site daily.I find it so interesting & the people are great.Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.This hobby is definitely addicting.
Lorne

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome aboard. Cool looking sign. It would look good restored but I think it looks good just the way it is too. Make sure you post a picture when you get lights in it. I like pictures.
Mike

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the welcome!

If both sides looked like this side, I'd leave it be and just clean it up. Unfortunately, this is the good side that was face down in the dirt. The other side must have been walked on quite a lot because it's going to need lots of love taps with a hammer and dolly.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved